SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Storage and Fuel questions?

3813 14
So, leaving again for about 3 months. And I am getting told different things about fuel , storage etc. I've left before and have let my cars sit for 3 months and not think twice about it. So, I parked the car last night, has just under 1/2 tank or so, put a car cover on her and left her in the garage. Should I be all freaking out when I come back in July or now. I've always gone with if its 3-6 months you're cool, if its longer, put some fuel Stabil in there and that will take you to about a year. But just curious what others on here think,
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I feel, but my buddy at my dealer (who usually watched my cars for me) is REALLY trying to convince me that I will have issues when I get back.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
I'd fill the tank so moisture doesn't collect

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little beyond that part haha, I drove it back from Vegas (about 2 hours) so whatever was left it whats left, it was about a half. I am not too concerned as I am only gone not even 3 months this time. Now later this year when I go back for 5 months, I will top it off and probably put in the fuel Stabil since it will also be during winter months.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
56 Posts
So, leaving again for about 3 months. And I am getting told different things about fuel , storage etc. I've left before and have let my cars sit for 3 months and not think twice about it. So, I parked the car last night, has just under 1/2 tank or so, put a car cover on her and left her in the garage. Should I be all freaking out when I come back in July or now. I've always gone with if its 3-6 months you're cool, if its longer, put some fuel Stabil in there and that will take you to about a year. But just curious what others on here think,
Normally I use Stabil in all my toys and equipment during the off season. However on my HC I chose not to because the Owners Manual cautions against additives.
Perhaps Stabil would have been fine though.
I left it in my attached garage (unheated) in Northern MI from mid December till mid March and it started and ran perfectly when I got back. Just one data point for you.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada and park my cars from October to April. The only thing I do is change to oil and fill the tank full of gas. (Good service)
I do not like using any type of fuel stabilizer as it can plug up your catalytic converters, or make for a stinky ride in the spring (brunt clutch).On Classic vehicles with no emissions fuel stabilizer is great.
I also install a battery tender it maintane the battery.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
I have cars that sit for a long time. I fill put in a storage mix of blue marine stabil. Fill it to the top. Take it for a drive to get the stabil through the fuel system. Park it suspension unloaded, wheels off the ground if possible. Put a battery tender on it and leave it. Just my way.....

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did have them at 35, I am not too worried abut flat spotting, I've read that a lot of newer tired anymore don't have that problem as much. But when I get back I will get the race ramps ones that are curved just for that reason. I wasn't aware of the Stabil not being good for newer cars though. Have to check in on that. And I thought I had a battery tender, thought it was built into my Craftsman one, but it wasn't. I may order one and have my buddy out it on for me, but I am more worried about that for the next longer trip. Thanks for all the replies as well.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess even according to the owners manual its not a big deal. All it said for long term (greater then 2 weeks) storage, was to run the AC on high for 5 min lol. I think i'll be ok

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.