SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting some ET Street S/S from Mickey Thompson tires to help with traction. I have heard of problems with stock drive shafts twisting when switching to more race driven tires/ drag radials and wanted to know if this is of legitimate concern. I don't plan on taking it to the track for drag racing rather I just want considerable better traction on the street for some of those moments when you can't help but stomp on it from a dead stop. My issue is, I don't particular want to destroy my drive shaft in the process.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,288 Posts
Unless you are dead hooking, which you will not on the street you should be fine. There are even guys on the track with lots of passes on stock drive shafts with out any problems....so far. Some have definitely twisted though. As far as Drag Radial type and size...lots of info here on the forum so I won't go into it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,342 Posts
I am looking at getting some ET Street S/S from Mickey Thompson tires to help with traction. I have heard of problems with stock drive shafts twisting when switching to more race driven tires/ drag radials and wanted to know if this is of legitimate concern. I don't plan on taking it to the track for drag racing rather I just want considerable better traction on the street for some of those moments when you can't help but stomp on it from a dead stop. My issue is, I don't particular want to destroy my drive shaft in the process.

Any help appreciated.

No worries.

If you twist one on the Street, it would be the first one of I have heard of.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Booky / 762Cat,

What is the deal with after market rims as well? Since we have forged rims I am wary of cast or roll forged I think they call it. Is there any real risk to a broken rim either if you don't go the OEM route. Even on Ebay, OEM is about $700-1K for one SRT rim.
I saw this post "Hellcat Life Changer - Nitto 555R 305/35R20 On Stock Rims" and I am wondering if I should step up to a 10" if I am going to by separate rims.

Booky, I also read your post on the rim set up you have and that looked like a pain. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am thinking of using my stock rims for the DRs and buying replicas for my OEM tires (all season) so I can swap out for long hauls.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,288 Posts
The cast vs forged comes down to use and there is opinions even on that differ. I bought an extra set of forged wheels for daily use. (See linked thread below) because I wanted less unsprung weight and wider rear rims for 305s. I also have 18x10 Bravado Tributes (which are cast) but use them only for drag racing at the drag strip. I think cast wheels are fine for Drag racing and easy every day driving. Large lateral loads seems to be where they fail....thus I use my OEM wheels for road racing.

Good advice which was given in a similar thread is get an extra set of rears for Drag Radials and keep OEM tires on the other 4. Then you have 2 spares, you can put all OEM on for road racing or mile/high speed events and you have Drag Radials for good weather/increased traction fun/Drag racing. That is what I did to start. Bought an extra set of OEM from a forum member for 1500 bucks with low mileage Summer tires still on em. So I got extra tires and a set for my Drag Radials. Only recently did I add the new Forged set and 18's for dedicated track use.

New VS FORGED VS08s in the Wild

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,342 Posts
Thanks Booky / 762Cat,

What is the deal with after market rims as well? Since we have forged rims I am wary of cast or roll forged I think they call it. Is there any real risk to a broken rim either if you don't go the OEM route. Even on Ebay, OEM is about $700-1K for one SRT rim.
I saw this post "Hellcat Life Changer - Nitto 555R 305/35R20 On Stock Rims" and I am wondering if I should step up to a 10" if I am going to by separate rims.

Booky, I also read your post on the rim set up you have and that looked like a pain. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am thinking of using my stock rims for the DRs and buying replicas for my OEM tires (all season) so I can swap out for long hauls.

I would leave your stock tires on the stock rims and use those for the long hauls.

If you are going to purchase a second set of wheels, and do not want to spend the money for forged, I would suggest purchasing 20x10.5 Factroy Reproduction replicas and wrap them in 305/35/20 Nitto 555R drag radials.
Then when the weather is nice and warm, swap out the stock for the replicas/drag radials.

As long as you are not running race courses or putting your Hellcat through tight turns at high speeds, or running 160 mph, the cast replica wheels are just fine to run.

The 20x10.5 Factory Reproduction replicas fit perfect with the 305 tire and the wheel only weighs a couple pounds more than the 20x9.5" OEM wheel.

Style 70 | Factory Reproductions

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,088 Posts
Some people do over 160 mph on road courses regularly. You want the OEM wheels or damn good replacements and not inexpensive cast wheels.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would leave your stock tires on the stock rims and use those for the long hauls.

If you are going to purchase a second set of wheels, and do not want to spend the money for forged, I would suggest purchasing 20x10.5 Factroy Reproduction replicas and wrap them in 305/35/20 Nitto 555R drag radials.
Then when the weather is nice and warm, swap out the stock for the replicas/drag radials.

As long as you are not running race courses or putting your Hellcat through tight turns at high speeds, or running 160 mph, the cast replica wheels are just fine to run.

The 20x10.5 Factory Reproduction replicas fit perfect with the 305 tire and the wheel only weighs a couple pounds more than the 20x9.5" OEM wheel.

Thanks Booky,

Define race courses. I like spirited back road driving at 100+Mph on straight parts and taking turns with pretty hard breaking, with turns up to 90* bends, and taking some of them at around 30-55 MPH where it allows. Its these turns that bother me. I actually just got back from the Bondurant Hellcat class and I realized that in some instances, I take turns that are very similar to what we were driving on the track/course. Out here in the desert the are lots of these type of roads. Anyways, would a Roled Forged rim be a good compromise?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
531 Posts
The 2005-2006 Ford GT came with cast wheels from the factory, and it's a 200 mph car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2005-2006 Ford GT came with cast wheels from the factory, and it's a 200 mph car.
Very good point. I spoke to a guy at work that knows a thing or two about a thing or two and he tells me that cast wheels should be fine for street driving as well, as long as they are from a reputable company. I am thinking of either the Factory Repros or a role forged at this point. I will also probably wait 2-3 months as the weather is currently 14* and no point in getting R rated wheels right now with it being so cold.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
499 Posts

What offset do you use for the 20x10.5" rims?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Booky, if I get the Factory Repos, with the 25mm offset, do I need to to the wheel liner mod?

Also, where can I get Factory Repos? I have had a hard time finding the exact ones you mentioned.

Thanks

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
531 Posts
Also, where can I get Factory Repos? I have had a hard time finding the exact ones you mentioned.
You can get the Factory Reproduction wheels, and Nitto tires at performanceplustire.com.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
531 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
499 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts