SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Hellcat Redeye on order, black with carbon stripes. Can anyone with experience on this tell me the best way to keep stripes looking good? My car will be garage kept, but I'm not sure of proper care of the stripes themselves. Sealer, wax, anything??

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,214 Posts
In my experience any decent spray detailer works fine and doesn’t hurt the factory vinyl in any way shape or form, on the other hand keep custom mixed waxes as far as possible from them, cause once that oil gets on them it’s a real possibility it won’t come off

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, just wondering if there was any type of protectant to help preserve them. I guess I shouldn't worry since it'll be garage kept, but since they are vinyl? Stripes and not paint, I'm not sure how to best protect from fading, peeling, cracking etc.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,160 Posts
If garage kept you're not gonna have any cracking, fading or peeling almost no matter what you do. These stripes are high quality and durable. Wash your car with a good wash and wax and you won't have any issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gotgap

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,331 Posts
I don't know if its a matter of opinion, because it seems everyone on this thread has been doing their own method and not following directions from Dodge, but when I bought my car the dealer gave me a directions card list for all the stuff on the car (anything option related), and the stripes had instruction to use Mothers back to black gel or some equivalent. Whenever I washed my car I would redo the stripes and have to go back over painted areas with spray wax to remove any over wipe on the paint. I have the card at home I'll see if I can find it and take a pic.

I removed the stripes because MD weather would rain one day, wash away the good juice that they held and then be sunny and dry the next, causing them to look dry and spotty. They only ever looked good freshly wiped with back to black.

DO NOT WAX THEM, and absolutely do not ceramic coat them. They will dry out and it will be a nightmare getting them back to the shiny reflective finish.

This is how they should shine;

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok!! Was this card from Dodge?? That's good info. I'd love a pic of it if you can find it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,160 Posts
They include instructions with the Satin hood or Graphics Package, nothing included with stripes far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,214 Posts
If you want the stripes to shine permanently just buff em out with a soft cut, it puts a nice sheen on them..I like the dullish factory look though and just use detail spray between washes

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If you want the stripes to shine permanently just buff em out with a soft cut, it puts a nice sheen on them..I like the dullish factory look though and just use detail spray between washes
Imaging you with a buffer on stripes makes me cringe. To each their own with their car but I would NOT do that.

Yes it was from dodge, it was harder card stock than paper and had info about "ground effects" (the front splitter) and the instructions for removing the covers on it. And another line stating what I said above.

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,214 Posts
Imaging you with a buffer on stripes makes me cringe. To each their own with their car but I would NOT do that.

Yes it was from dodge, it was harder card stock than paper and had info about "ground effects" (the front splitter) and the instructions for removing the covers on it. And another line stating what I said above.
Typical rookie response

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Found a pdf about the 3M specs as its a product from them;

FAQ_Vehicle_Care_DRAFT.fm (3m.com)

Smooth Gloss Texture 3M™ Perfect-It™ Show Car Paste Wax 39526 Matte or Satin Texture Isopropyl alcohol and water (2:1 ratio) Matte White (1080-M10)

Carbon Fiber White (1080-CF10) Based in type/degree of contamination, use one of more of these solutions, in the order shown, to remove any build-up: 1. Hot, soapy water solution 2. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water (ratio 2:1) 3. Simple Green® All-Purpose Cleaner 4. Household chlorine bleach; followed by IPA/water (#2) 5. Mineral spirits; followed by IPA/water (#2)

Carbon Fiber or Brushed Metal Texture 3M™ Tire Restorer or Meguiar’s Natural Shine Protectant

Carbon Fiber Black (1080-CF12) Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer

I originally typed Meguiars because that I remember seeing on the card but use Mothers back to black (the gel) is the best bang for buck, it spreads the best and stays on the longest. I tried meguiars and it was $4 more per fl oz and washed away almost immediately following rain.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for all. They seem pretty tough & being garage kept should help tremendously. Just trying to take care of them.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more stripe question, I read here that they used to send vehicles from factory to an unfit center for stripes. But I also read they do it at factory now. Does anyone know for sure??

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
absolutely do not ceramic coat them
Not bashing, just wondering where you got this info from? Granted I use a ceramic coating designed for vinyl wraps, but I coat every car I do. It deepens the color (matte, satin, or gloss), increases shine on gloss, and protects the wrap. Obviously you want to get the right ceramic coating for the sheen of vinyl.

Also, he has the carbon stripes, don't put anything on there with any kind of color as it will get caught in the texture of the carbon "weave" and will be next to impossible to get out. If you wax your car, tape off the edges of the stripes.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Not bashing, just wondering where you got this info from? Granted I use a ceramic coating designed for vinyl wraps, but I coat every car I do. It deepens the color (matte, satin, or gloss), increases shine on gloss, and protects the wrap. Obviously you want to get the right ceramic coating for the sheen of vinyl.

Also, he has the carbon stripes, don't put anything on there with any kind of color as it will get caught in the texture of the carbon "weave" and will be next to impossible to get out. If you wax your car, tape off the edges of the stripes.
Nothing I tried personally, so take this with a grain of salt, but when I first got my car I wanted to have it fully ceramic coated and the shop (rather reputable) I took it to to get a quote and when he came back with a price of how much he said it'd be best to avoid ceramic coating them as it'll trap the current state of them as they currently are (somewhat fresh but not perfect) and they'll look like that for a good bit but once they fade out (down the road some time) it'll be very hard to bring back that high gloss finish as it's gonna have to go through the remnants of the ceramic coat.

I have another friend who does it on his own and everyone local in the car group brings their stuff to him and he said it wouldn't be a bad idea but once he saw how they looked after a coat of mothers he said that look wouldn't last very long with the ceramic coat anyways so best save money and just "juice them" with the gel.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
One more stripe question, I read here that they used to send vehicles from factory to an unfit center for stripes. But I also read they do it at factory now. Does anyone know for sure??
Factory should do them. I've seen them fully optioned and released done at the factory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts