SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with experience in the matter. I am hoping to drive my SS home when I pick it up-about 866 miles. I have a strong preference to driving it home as it is one of my greatest pleasures to pick up a new vehicle and drive it home.
It always rains when I pick up a new car LOL
I understand that the tires are street legal drag tires, but can it safely be driven on the hwy at hwy speeds in the rain?
Thank you.

Registered
For those with experience in the matter. I am hoping to drive my SS home when I pick it up-about 866 miles. I have a strong preference to driving it home as it is one of my greatest pleasures to pick up a new vehicle and drive it home.
I understand that the tires are street legal drag tires, but can it safely be driven on the hwy at hwy speeds in the rain?
Thank you.
Depends on how you define highway speeds. The NT05rs are not great in the rain - it鈥檚 like driving with skis on when there is puddles or pooled water鈥ith that said - keep the throttle light, stay to the right and I would not go over 50-ish personally (in a harder rain). Wet pavement is one thing (can control the vertical pedal and is more manageable) - but heavy rain will have the tires wanting to hydroplane on you.

Congrats on the car!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on how you define highway speeds. The NT05rs are not great in the rain - it鈥檚 like driving with skis on when there is puddles or pooled water鈥ith that said - keep the throttle light, stay to the right and I would not go over 50-ish personally (in a harder rain). Wet pavement is one thing (can control the vertical pedal and is more manageable) - but heavy rain will have the tires wanting to hydroplane on you.

Congrats on the car!
Thank you. Sounds like great advice. I really do want to drive the car home when I get it. Willing to just go a bit slower when the inevitable downpour occurs-at least I am prepared for the delay :)

Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Thank you.
Man if you are on radials I would honestly ship it but that's me.

You could make a few day trip out of it, if it's raining hard along a certain section just stop and grab a hotel or go sight seeing at the nearest attraction.

Alternatively you could buy a set of all seasons from the dealer. Ask them to bag the radials, maybe they do you a favor on the cost of swapping the tires or maybe not but that would be a better route.

This is just my opinion but saving $700-$1400 isn't worth it when we are talking such a high dollar item, yes insurance company will make you whole but is it really worth dealing with all the bs?

Either way, best of luck and congrats on the new SS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man if you are on radials I would honestly ship it but that's me.

You could make a few day trip out of it, if it's raining hard along a certain section just stop and grab a hotel or go sight seeing at the nearest attraction.

Alternatively you could buy a set of all seasons from the dealer.

This is just my opinion but saving $700-$1400 isn't worth it when we are talking such a high dollar item, yes insurance company will make you whole but is it really worth dealing with all the bs?

Either way, best of luck and congrats on the new SS
Thank you.
That is a great suggestion! I am normally a bit stubborn when it comes to deviating from a drive home, but if it is part of the plan to begin with I can convince myself :)
It is not so much the money of the set of all seasons, but the hassle of shipping the drag radials home, storage and especially having the car fat fingered more than it needs to be LOL

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Buy a set of wheels with proper tires on it.

DO NOT DRIVE IN THE RAIN ON DRAG RADIALS.

I know of 3 people who wrecked their cars driving from the track in the rain on them. Its not worth it.
Either ship the car or order a set of RE wheels/tires and have the dealer mount them for you. The DRs will fit inside the car/trunk.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy a set of wheels with proper tires on it.

DO NOT DRIVE IN THE RAIN ON DRAG RADIALS.

I know of 3 people who wrecked their cars driving from the track in the rain on them. Its not worth it.
Either ship the car or order a set of RE wheels/tires and have the dealer mount them for you. The DRs will fit inside the car/trunk.
All 4 DRs fit?

Registered

Congrats on the car!
I completely agree with everything JeepGeek said. Been caught in the rain twice with mine twice so far. First time was on my way home from work, about 35 miles. Kept it around 55 on the highway, had no issues. By the time I made into my town there was a flooding rain and I literally took it through stretches of 4鈥 standing water. Again, no issues, at 10 mph. The second time was 3 days ago in a moderate rain. Kept it around 55 and no heavy throttle, didn鈥檛 break the tires loose or slide a single time.

Bought mine 3 miles from my house. If I would have bought it far away, I 1000% would have driven it home.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely agree with everything JeepGeek said. Been caught in the rain twice with mine twice so far. First time was on my way home from work, about 35 miles. Kept it around 55 on the highway, had no issues. By the time I made into my town there was a flooding rain and I literally took it through stretches of 4鈥 standing water. Again, no issues, at 10 mph. The second time was 3 days ago in a moderate rain. Kept it around 55 and no heavy throttle, didn鈥檛 break the tires loose or slide a single time.

Bought mine 3 miles from my house. If I would have bought it far away, I 1000% would have driven it home.
yep ..I have driven many miles to and from tracks all over with R compound tires and rain at 4-6 32"s......anything over 50 and you are skipping on the water.. damp road no issues standing water look out..
Thank you. I will drive it and be mindful of the weather-worst case I will pull over and get a meal or hotel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the fun of of having a finicky or specialized car..some would call it exotic/soul...if you are one of those then you are an enthusiast. The rest of humanity would call you crazy.. ;)
To be considered crazy by the rest of humanity is a compliment LOL
I would be sad to live a totally sane existence. What I do is come up with a reasoned "thesis" and do that, that methodology has the semblance of sanity and allows me to do what would otherwise appear quite foolish.:)

Registered
2021 Redeye Super Stock
Take it easy and you will be alright. In a real monsoon type hard rain, pull over and grab a coffee. Unless it鈥檚 real standing water, just take it 55ish and be careful. They are not crazy dangerous, but are not as safe as standard tires either, Just don鈥檛 forget you are on drag radials in a very overpowered car!

Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Thank you.
That is a great suggestion! I am normally a bit stubborn when it comes to deviating from a drive home, but if it is part of the plan to begin with I can convince myself :)
It is not so much the money of the set of all seasons, but the hassle of shipping the drag radials home, storage and especially having the car fat fingered more than it needs to be LOL
In that case definitely order all seasons and toss the radials in the trunk and back seats (with bags, plastic covers, or even black trash bags.

You get to enjoy the ride on tires that can handle rain and won't cause you or your ride to get hurt.

Plus on the bright side you will have a set of tires for the rain if you ever want to drive to a strip or meet that's far away.

Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
Thank you.
If you're a stickler for following the Hellcat break in process, just remember that doing it entirely on the highway is not a recommended approach. If you're one who doesn't care, then you should be fine :D

Banned
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
I never drove on DR鈥檚 let alone DR鈥檚 in the rain, but I have put tens of thousands of miles on snow and ice. I don鈥檛 know if there is a parallel but on snow/ice you can always test traction by hopping on the brakes hard when no one is around. The other issue is tire life. I鈥檇 hate to use up 40% of my DR鈥檚 just driving home. Again, I know nothing about DR鈥檚. Good luck!

Registered
If you crashed in the rain on drag radials and injured anyone, you would be owing out of pocket several hundred thousand dollars and get dropped by your insurance mid-claim. I would not get all seasons if it was cold or warm out. I would get rain designed summer tires, or winter performance tires like Pirelli SotoZero's

Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
It's not worth the risk.

Years ago I nearly wrecked driving with AS tires in the rain on the freeway. Tread depth was low (but legal), a massive deluge hit right as I had finished merging on the on-ramp and I suddenly hit standing water. I immediately let off cause I knew I was going too fast for conditions. Not a few seconds later and I felt the rear hydro plane (staggered setup)--absolutely nothing you can do at that point but go for a ride. I spun 540. Lucky I was in the center lane when I started to spin otherwise I would have hit the wall since the rear spun through the next lane over. It was a Sunday, hardly any traffic. One car went around me, no others within 1/2 mile behind me. So I just righted myself and continued on at a conservative, low speed. Lesson learned.
Had I been on DRs, I don't know if it would have been worse or not.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.