SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story:
I had been seeing some slip from the Gates Green HD 594 belt and I changed to the supplied Litens Bando belt after confirmation it will indeed work on my 2.72 and 10% ATI (at the time of my build, a longer Bando belt was recommended but not available for the 10%). 2 weeks ago, I swapped to the Bando and drove the car after validating some data logs and all looked good tune and fuel wise (full mod list in my sig). This was now my 3rd time driving the car since the change and I decided to do a pull from 2nd gear. I got to the top of 2nd, shifted to 3rd and she let go. The car started stammering and stuttering and revving on it own. Clutch was in, foot off the gas, still revving on its own. I then blipped the throttle thinking something may have been stuck. It revved higher and held so I had to shut it down and coast to a stop.

I was on a back road that isn’t very busy so I pulled off to the side and looked around for oil or anything out of the ordinary. My rail covers were popped up towards the front and my valve cover breather was also out of place. Seemed very odd and thought maybe I lifted a head or something but all looked fine. Checked the oil and catch can and the catch can had a little white smoke in it. Coolant was slightly low but nothing out of range. Nothing else seemed out of the norm. I cautiously decided to turn the car over and see what happens and maybe move the car to a safer place to grab my trailer and tow it home. It fired immediately but it revved way up again and sounded really bad so I immediately shut it down. (Big white cloud out the exhaust). Crap!

I got it to the local shop that did the work and this is what we found: Supercharger rotors destroyed, cracked s/c case, multiple broken bolts sheered off at the head that need to be extracted and a small ding on one of the intake ports of the head.
We’re also going to do a compression check, leak down test and check plugs to see if any debris got by the intercooler.

Long story short. I need a supercharger and I’m torn at which direction to go. Curt who tuned it is recommending I stick with a stock blower. I don’t disagree because I don’t want to make any more power. I just want it reliable and I don’t want another failure. -However, that’s what also scares me of the stock s/c. There are so many failures with bearings but I’m unsure if the revised replacement blower have been holding. I’ve read a couple AG’s have failed. What are you guys seeing??

The failures also have me leaning towards a Whipple. Especially since I don’t have a core, the costs seem to be about the same. The down side is, I will likely have to run more boost to keep the same power level. It seems these big blowers give up torque and at my current 18psi....the costly option may be having to build the motor and just go big but I wasn’t planning on that. I am very happy with what I was making.

Those of you that have the AG blowers (is this the latest revision?), please chime in with your experience. Also any other Whipple builds, please chime in on your experience.

Here’s the carnage:

5BAB28ED-7B40-48BC-A18C-D0A59FBFC5D4.jpeg
21083F23-2B8B-42E2-87EE-CD7CD9E41274.jpeg
C0B7DD9C-280B-424E-B3E3-F90A7B875CC8.jpeg
F0B6BB4D-00D7-45CC-A57C-EC95FEEA2984.jpeg
66EE8719-DD4A-4680-956F-3C3316BBE913.jpeg

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,031 Posts
Long story:
I had been seeing some slip from the Gates Green HD 594 belt and I changed to the supplied Litens Bando belt after confirmation it will indeed work on my 2.72 and 10% ATI (at the time of my build, a longer Bando belt was recommended but not available for the 10%). 2 weeks ago, I swapped to the Bando and drove the car after validating some data logs and all looked good tune and fuel wise (full mod list in my sig). This was now my 3rd time driving the car since the change and I decided to do a pull from 2nd gear. I got to the top of 2nd, shifted to 3rd and she let go. The car started stammering and stuttering and revving on it own. Clutch was in, foot off the gas, still revving on its own. I then blipped the throttle thinking something may have been stuck. It revved higher and held so I had to shut it down and coast to a stop.

I was on a back road that isn’t very busy so I pulled off to the side and looked around for oil or anything out of the ordinary. My rail covers were popped up towards the front and my valve cover breather was also out of place. Seemed very odd and thought maybe I lifted a head or something but all looked fine. Checked the oil and catch can and the catch can had a little white smoke in it. Coolant was slightly low but nothing out of range. Nothing else seemed out of the norm. I cautiously decided to turn the car over and see what happens and maybe move the car to a safer place to grab my trailer and tow it home. It fired immediately but it revved way up again and sounded really bad so I immediately shut it down. (Big white cloud out the exhaust). Crap!

I got it to the local shop that did the work and this is what we found: Supercharger rotors destroyed, cracked s/c case, multiple broken bolts sheered off at the head that need to be extracted and a small ding on one of the intake ports of the head.
We’re also going to do a compression check, leak down test and check plugs to see if any debris got by the intercooler.

Long story short. I need a supercharger and I’m torn at which direction to go. Curt who tuned it is recommending I stick with a stock blower. I don’t disagree because I don’t want to make any more power. I just want it reliable and I don’t want another failure. -However, that’s what also scares me of the stock s/c. There are so many failures with bearings but I’m unsure if the revised replacement blower have been holding. I’ve read a couple AG’s have failed. What are you guys seeing??

The failures also have me leaning towards a Whipple. Especially since I don’t have a core, the costs seem to be about the same. The down side is, I will likely have to run more boost to keep the same power level. It seems these big blowers give up torque and at my current 18psi....the costly option may be having to build the motor and just go big but I wasn’t planning on that. I am very happy with what I was making.

Those of you that have the AG blowers (is this the latest revision?), please chime in with your experience. Also any other Whipple builds, please chime in on your experience.

Here’s the carnage:

WOW!

What are your/Curt's thoughts on running the Demon/2.7L blower instead? You'll get the same boost with a smaller LARGER pulley AND stay further away from the critical speed of the blower?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
25 Posts
Is that reddish/orange on the supercharger, gasket maker? Has it been apart before? Maybe someone got the timing of the rotors slightly off if that's possible? The demon/redeye sounds like a good upgrade.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,040 Posts
WOW!

What are your/Curt's thoughts on running the Demon/2.7L blower instead? You'll get the same boost with a smaller LARGER pulley AND stay further away from the critical speed of the blower?
THIS! Getting away from the critical speed of the blower is probably the best thing you can do from a durability perspective. Since you need a new s/c, you might as well upsize!

Sorry to hear your news...quite the bummer, but glad it didn't get the inside of the motor!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
WOW!

We didn’t talk about that yet. Has there been any issues with the 2.7’s? I haven’t kept up on the demon guys.

My local builder has an excellent relationship with Mike at Kenne Bell and the first thing he asked was how fast we are spinning it. I thought the 2.72/10% was within a safe zone compared to some other builds. However, according to Mike he had also mentioned that this has been happening in the last couple weeks with a few other cars out there.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what mine looks like. My thinking is if someone messed with it and screwed it up, maybe you'd be alright with another stock unit. But on the other hand if its broke, go bigger....
That’s very interesting. I’m unaware of it being apart. It only had 2600mi on it when I bought the car last September. 3600 when it got the mods in January. Maybe it could have been???

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
25 Posts
That's just the first thing I noticed but maybe it's nothing. That kinda worries me now cause I was thinking of going with those pulleys myself.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,548 Posts
Very rare. You didn't over-rev or miss a shift correct?

You aren't spinning that blower near what many are.

Put another one on and hit the road. AG is indeed the latest revision. When you heard about "bearing failures", it was really only a noise tolerance. I don't know of one that actually failed mechanically due to the noise of the bearings.

Reactions: WhipCat

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,031 Posts
Hey, you added pictures...

That little bent up lip can be worked flat, maybe even by hand given a guy who knows what they're doing... Cheese-grate file and precise hand work. (This assuming it isn't cracked underneath.)

This would also be a great opportunity to add the blower spacers too!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very rare. You didn't over-rev or miss a shift correct?

You aren't spinning that blower near what many are.

Put another one on and hit the road. AG is indeed the latest revision. When you heard about "bearing failures", it was really only a noise tolerance. I don't know of one that actually failed mechanically due to the noise of the bearings.
No over-rev, I shift at 6200, fuel cut I believe is at 6600 or 6700 now . No mis-shift, happened at the shift though. Maybe I didn’t lift enough? I wasn’t logging at the time unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,031 Posts
That sucks man!!!!!! I'm not sure of your financial situation but if you can swing this deal, it might be worth while. I hope she's up and running soon!
Dodge Hellcat And Jeep grand Cherokee Srt 8 Supercharger Kit Brand New 1 Left | eBay

That seems like a great price, last I looked, $4500 was going price, but that was a bit back. Check Steve White and Mopar America to get current discount price, then make certain you like the seller.

(Assuming you go this route at all...)

·
Registered
In The Market
129 Posts
That seems like a great price, last I looked, $4500 was going price, but that was a bit back. Check Steve White and Mopar America to get current discount price, then make certain you like the seller.

(Assuming you go this route at all...)
100% agree. I would ask him as many questions as I could, get all the info before payment. Ebay is pretty good though if there is an issue they'll usually make you whole again.

Looks like that seller has been around since 2009.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
453 Posts
If the stock units are over 5k or something stupid, Id suggest Whipple, Kenne Bell, or even Magnuson. I hope mine holds up since I sold a spare unit I had to help cover my wife's tuning on her car haha.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting indeed. Deals like that usually scare me. When things are seemingly ‘too good to be true’, they usually are. Especially listed as Edelbrock, etc.

I tend to err on the side of caution in decision making. Sometimes to a fault. This might be a legit deal but I need to find out more where my engine tests out first. I might have bigger problems, lol. If that’s the case I’ll build it and go a Whipple but if I can get away more reasonably I’ll take it. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the stock units are over 5k or something stupid, Id suggest Whipple, Kenne Bell, or even Magnuson. I hope mine holds up since I sold a spare unit I had to help cover my wife's tuning on her car haha.
Cheapest I’ve seen for a new stock unit is just under $4200, then of course you have to add $2k for a core charge. The 2.7 Demon is $10k!

Reactions: orrwhat
1 - 20 of 100 Posts