SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 5,000 miles of running my car very hard, something mechanically went wrong. First, the catalytic converters needed replace for some reason, which is no big deal. I also noticed that there was this noise developing under the hood. It was like this droning whining sound that was very noticeable. The car drove fine though, and there was no loss of power. I took it in for service and they said that it was the supercharger making the sound and that they ordered a new one to replace it with. They said that they contacted Chrysler and that's what they were going to do about it since it didn't make this sound when the belt was taken off the supercharger. I'm a little upset, but after all they are fixing it for free. I am a little nervous to have a dealer do such a major job to my cat, has anybody gone through something similar?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
Swapping out the supercharger is no big deal. I'd be more concerned about the cats crapping out in less then 5K!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
823 Posts
Do you have a sound clip of the noise the supercharger was making?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,671 Posts
Well, after 5,000 miles of running my car very hard, something mechanically went wrong. First, the catalytic converters needed replace for some reason, which is no big deal. I also noticed that there was this noise developing under the hood. It was like this droning whining sound that was very noticeable. The car drove fine though, and there was no loss of power. I took it in for service and they said that it was the supercharger making the sound and that they ordered a new one to replace it with. They said that they contacted Chrysler and that's what they were going to do about it since it didn't make this sound when the belt was taken off the supercharger. I'm a little upset, but after all they are fixing it for free. I am a little nervous to have a dealer do such a major job to my cat, has anybody gone through something similar?
Yes. Exact same thing happened with my last car. They did a fantastic job. Never even knew it was replaced. The parts are $12k+ and came in 3 boxes.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
65 Posts
My supercharger was replaced under warranty at 1,700 miles. In my case the dealer also did a terrific job and no issues since, now at 3,100 miles.

This is what the bad supercharger sounded like...

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! I ran this car HARD. I go to track day events like every other weekend with my son and we both run it and then we drive it home. At the track it hardly gets any rest, because after my son and I drive it there is an instructor who is usually curious and the let him/her take it out because I love seeing their reaction. Once the supercharger is fixed I will still do the same, I mean why not?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,715 Posts
Cats may have gone bad from impeller debris going through the engine?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Get her fixed and then continue to drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,715 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
489 Posts
Mine gets replaced next week.. the tech said if a hellcat comes in with the supercharger making that sound, it gets replaced.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
667 Posts
in 5 to 6 years, pick them up at your local swap meet.

probably go for a grand a pop.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts