SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the TBA Machine idler pulleys on my 2020 hellcat. I was surprised at how heavy and how much drag the stock idler pulleys had in them. (Shown in video) I realize that I will not be gaining 20hp or anything but it is hard to say that there will be no benefit to installing two bearings that seem to weigh about 1.5 pounds less than the factory pulleys and have much smoother and free spinning bearings in them. It already takes so much power to turn the Supercharger, freeing up some seems like a no brainer. What do you guys think? Have any of you installed these?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,046 Posts
I did the same thing on my car . I did all 3 idler pulleys and they are metco ones . I have the same thought about weight and inertia. Every little bit counts .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the same thing on my car . I did all 3 idler pulleys and they are metco ones . I have the same thought about weight and inertia. Every little bit counts .

I have a ripatuned anti slip idler on the way that’s out for delivery today. Ripatuned uses the pulleys from TBA so they will be the same. There has also been some concern from Some people on that because it will add additional rotating mass but the pulleys are so free spinning I really don’t agree with that. A lot of people have seen belt slippage on a stock car.
I do have a question for you since you changed all three.. Is the tensioner bearing just as stiff as the other two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,046 Posts
I have a ripatuned anti slip idler on the way that’s out for delivery today. Ripatuned uses the pulleys from TBA so they will be the same. There has also been some concern from Some people on that because it will add additional rotating mass but the pulleys are so free spinning I really don’t agree with that. A lot of people have seen belt slippage on a stock car.
I do have a question for you since you changed all three.. Is the tensioner bearing just as stiff as the other two?

On my car all three all seemed to be about the same as far as weight and resistance .

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,046 Posts
That’s strange. I wonder why?

The funny part is litens makes the factory pulley . I think are trying to avoid any warranty claims . They always blame it on "the other part"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The funny part is litens makes the factory pulley . I think are trying to avoid any warranty claims . They always blame it on "the other part"

Got that right. They will try to do whatever they can to get out of a warranty claim. There are many people that have had trouble getting warranty work done with stock cars and others that have had a K&N filter or catch can and had a warranty claim denied. But then I have a friend that has a mustang that has all kinds of aftermarket parts on it and running full e85 and got his fuel pump replaced under warranty. Lol. You never know.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,046 Posts
Got that right. They will try to do whatever they can to get out of a warranty claim. There are many people that have had trouble getting warranty work done with stock cars and others that have had a K&N filter or catch can and had a warranty claim denied. But then I have a friend that has a mustang that has all kinds of aftermarket parts on it and running full e85 and got his fuel pump replaced under warranty. Lol. You never know.

It depends on the dealer or manufacturer. I have a great dealer but I don't push my luck either .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It depends on the dealer or manufacturer. I have a great dealer but I don't push my luck either .
That is true. I think my local dealers are wishy washy.. Meaning they will help some but not others. I try to stay away from the dealerships because I don't trust anyone.

·
Registered
In The Market
379 Posts
So Metco wants $269 for the idler and a grooved pulley but if you go through TBA machine you can get 2 idlers and a grooved pulley for $279. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Metco wants $269 for the idler and a grooved pulley but if you go through TBA machine you can get 2 idlers and a grooved pulley for $279. Am I missing something?
Nope. Looks like your are seeing it all clearly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope. Looks like your are seeing it all clearly.

·
Registered
In The Market
379 Posts
I thought they were the same pulleys but maybe not. Guess Metco is proud of their stuff

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,046 Posts
Metco made the first stuff . TBA made their own later and priced them competitively . The quality is probably the same .

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,376 Posts
I have all 3 TBA pulley's & TBA 2.85 , all are excellent quality , saved almost 4 lbs. on the 3 pulley's which is huge , forgot what the weight difference was on the s/c pulleys but it was also night & day.
Also have the TBA T-stat housing clocker, makes it easy changing pulley's or to show off the pulleys more.
And yes they are cheaper than Metco.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have all 3 TBA pulley's & TBA 2.85 , all are excellent quality , saved almost 4 lbs. on the 3 pulley's which is huge , forgot what the weight difference was on the s/c pulleys but it was also night & day.
Also have the TBA T-stat housing clocker, makes it easy changing pulley's or to show off the pulleys more.
And yes they are cheaper than Metco.
I think they are like 1.2 pounds lighter than the stock pulleys. So changing all three would be like 3.6 pounds total. That is a lot of rotational mass.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts