SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
My son works for Tesla and to help motivate the employees the company sent up a couple of Plaids for them to have a chance to test drive. I race a 68 Plymouth Hemi SS/AH Barracuda that has run 8.70's and low 1.20 60 foot times. I was able to go on one of the test drives in a Plaid. It was fastest and hardest leaving vehicle I have been in. I owned a 16 HC and wished I kept it, but the Plaid would have kicked its a$$. Down fall of the Plaid is the high cost.
It's also a plain body style, behind this brand new one the other day and couldn't get over the fact it looks so boring for a car that can beat a McLaren.

Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Congrats on your new Plaid. Consistent 9 sec. quarter mile on the street, from the factory, is insane.

Looking forward to seeing the pic's / videos.
Check out the original post, its updated now. Everyone I've taken for a ride in it is speechless when they get out. Something about a 9 second 1/4 vehicle that will do it consistently anywhere on street tires is just not comprehendible for most people. I just finished taking a friend of mine that owns an old fox body Mustang that runs 10's in the 1/4 for a ride and his jaw dropped. He just said it was the most impressive car he's ever ridden in.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sorry, but I think it looks like a Prius.
No worries, I think a C8 looks like awful without a wing, but to each their own of course. The front is the worst angle for sure, but otherwise, it's not bad looking in person. In my honest opinion, I prefer the Model Y styling just bit more but the X holds 6 people, the Y doesn't. If it were mine, I would have had a Model S.

Reactions: Unholy707

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
2,978 Posts
No worries, I think a C8 looks like awful without a wing, but to each their own of course. The front is the worst angle for sure, but otherwise, it's not bad looking in person. In my honest opinion, I prefer the Model Y styling just bit more but the X holds 6 people, the Y doesn't. If it were mine, I would have had a Model S.
I agree, that's why I have a tall wing coming from RPI if it ever gets out of paint. 6 weeks and still waiting :)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
There's also a reddit page with some people complaining about the new Plaid badges in that the image is a scene from where Spaceball One is only in ludicrous speed. The Plaid speed is a different colored graphic. Nerds :)

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I agree, that's why I have a tall wing coming from RPI if it ever gets out of paint. 6 weeks and still waiting :)
Good, it will make a big difference. The high wing is the only one that looks right on the C8.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
There's also a reddit page with some people complaining about the new Plaid badges in that the image is a scene from where Spaceball One is only in ludicrous speed. The Plaid speed is a different colored graphic. Nerds :)
Yea, Tesla has some serious fanatics.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Agreed. Fast car but theres nothing else about that car that impresses me
Well, its an SUV, but I understand. Its different when you drive one. Its a blanket statement to say nothing impresses you except the performance until you actually drive one. They drive fantastic and some of the tech in them is really impressive. I've had several people just like you that have been in it already and walked away seriously impressed with it as a vehicle, people that would have never considered a Tesla before.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
It's also a plain body style, behind this brand new one the other day and couldn't get over the fact it looks so boring for a car that can beat a McLaren.

View attachment 597154
And that is also part of the charm. It's a serious sleeper. Whether is boring or looks like a Prius, it will eat your lunch and that's really cool.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Well, its an SUV, but I understand. Its different when you drive one. Its a blanket statement to say nothing impresses you except the performance until you actually drive one. They drive fantastic and some of the tech in them is really impressive. I've had several people just like you that have been in it already and walked away seriously impressed with it as a vehicle, people that would have never considered a Tesla before.
For me, it's a nice party trick but it wears off once it gets "normalized." IMO, the true judge of a vehicle isn't in the first impression. Hell, I loved the S197 Mustang when it first came out, and I bought one. A month into it, I hated it. Initial impressions were nice, what with the 425hp and all that... but once driving it became normal, I was stuck with a poorly designed interior that hit me wrong in all the wrong places, cheap materials, kinda bland exterior and I actually quit driving it before my first payment was due. In fact, I sold it before I ever made a payment on it.

Teslas are similar in my book. We owned a Model S P100D. Same as the Mustang, it was cool and it impressed people when they got to go for a ride. But 2-3 weeks into the ownership experience, it lost all the excitement for me as it became normalized. The car could always be exciting, but I liken it to getting used to firing a .45 pistol. Eventually, you get used to it and it becomes no different than shooting a 9mm in time. So, if you take away the cool party trick, if the rest of the vehicle is still doing it for you, then great... it's the right car for you. For me, it's not, as that's the only thing I like about them... and when it wears off, it just doesn't attract me anymore.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
233 Posts
You should throw some matte PPF on it, you get the matte look and the excellent protection. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
For me, it's a nice party trick but it wears off once it gets "normalized." IMO, the true judge of a vehicle isn't in the first impression. Hell, I loved the S197 Mustang when it first came out, and I bought one. A month into it, I hated it. Initial impressions were nice, what with the 425hp and all that... but once driving it became normal, I was stuck with a poorly designed interior that hit me wrong in all the wrong places, cheap materials, kinda bland exterior and I actually quit driving it before my first payment was due. In fact, I sold it before I ever made a payment on it.

Teslas are similar in my book. We owned a Model S P100D. Same as the Mustang, it was cool and it impressed people when they got to go for a ride. But 2-3 weeks into the ownership experience, it lost all the excitement for me as it became normalized. The car could always be exciting, but I liken it to getting used to firing a .45 pistol. Eventually, you get used to it and it becomes no different than shooting a 9mm in time. So, if you take away the cool party trick, if the rest of the vehicle is still doing it for you, then great... it's the right car for you. For me, it's not, as that's the only thing I like about them... and when it wears off, it just doesn't attract me anymore.
Yea, but I've owned a Tesla for over 4 months now and still love driving them, same with my wife. Its no party trick at this point. Now in a year or two, maybe I'll see things differently, but that happens with just about any car I've owned. I tend to keep a car about 3-4 years, but my wife is yearly, sometimes less. I understand though, not everyone enjoys cars the same. As you said, you hated the S197 Mustang, others love them. Tesla just isn't for you.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
^Well said. Impressive machine and awesome you didn’t have to wait very long in the grand scheme of things
Yea, it worked out very well. The wait was going to be tough if it had arrived in Nov.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You should throw some matte PPF on it, you get the matte look and the excellent protection. Best of both worlds.
Expensive option but best of both worlds for sure. It would cost about 5-7K to do full PPF, if my wife kept a car for more than a year, I could see it, but it worries me that its wasted money if she decides to trade again in a year. A lot depends on whether or not we get rid of the G Wagon since it's taking up a garage spot. We're looking to sell it soon I think so if that happens, the X will move to the garage. I HATE leaving a $130K vehicle outside right now. Not that I'm worried about vandalism but we had a rough storm a few days ago with hail, luckily no hail damage. And black is a BIYOTCH to keep clean, even more so if it sits outside. I'm not moving my garage kept $70K ZL1 for that Model X, LOL.

·
Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So how well do these things stop?
Very good honestly for their weight. It's a 5400lb vehicle without any passengers, but the regenerative braking assists the brakes a lot.

Reactions: Unholy707
41 - 60 of 78 Posts