SRT Hellcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
What is the ring gear diameter? If it is too small, then a higher numerical gear ratio becomes ever closer to a needle-and-pinion gear set, with too few teeth engaging the interface between ring and pinion.

I'd like to see a Dana 60 conversion.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
762 Posts
FYI, a 3.70 will cost $1,353.00, a 3.90 will cost $709.50 at mopar online parts. If you have not done so you may also want to consider upgrading the rear cradle and differential bushings.

·
Registered
2015 HC Challenger M6 771 RWHP/721torque 2021 Ram TRX (ordered)
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just an update, finally heard back from the shop that works on my car. The drivers side axle shaft snapped clean just inside of the differential. The piece of the shaft is lodged inside the diff. The passenger side did not snap but is twisted. The shop is sending me pics and I will post when I get them.
The differential is being replaced with a 3.90 unit and the axle shafts are being replaced with G-Force 1500hp rated shafts. I’m also having a Barton installed while it’s there.... because why not lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow!

My two cents. With any manual trans car with any kind of power SOMETHING has to slip. For autos, the converter slips. But consider the weight of these cars and the power they put out.

If you dead hook at 3,500-4,500 rpms or whatever, you are going to break stuff, period, unless you run a slipper clutch, which is a drag race only setup. So, the tires are what need to slip, so you want to be sure to run enough air in them that they don't dead hook. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before something's going to break.

I always take a window chalk marker and mark the outside of the tire so that it's easier to see if it spins off the line. I always mark the wheel and tire too with a chalk line to monitor how much, if any, the tire moves on the wheel.

I had a manual trans 69 Chevelle big block that I used to race. Blew the trans to oblivion the first time I hooked with slicks and a 5K launch off the two step. That's racing. Over the years with that car, I mainly ran a TH350 when I was drag racing a lot.

It's not surprising that the axle broke like that. How many runs did you have on them?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,071 Posts
Just an update, finally heard back from the shop that works on my car. The drivers side axle shaft snapped clean just inside of the differential. The piece of the shaft is lodged inside the diff. The passenger side did not snap but is twisted. The shop is sending me pics and I will post when I get them.
The differential is being replaced with a 3.90 unit and the axle shafts are being replaced with G-Force 1500hp rated shafts. I’m also having a Barton installed while it’s there.... because why not lol
Barton is night and day to oem shifter. Youre gonna wonder why you waited so long.
I forget, what DS are you running?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Barton is night and day to oem shifter. Youre gonna wonder why you waited so long.
I forget, what DS are you running?
I’ve heard that from multiple people about the Barton, excited to try it, driveshaft loop just makes it tight. Running a DSS 4” DS.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
you dead hook at 3,500-4,500 rpms or whatever, you are going to break stuff, period, unless you run a slipper clutch, which is a drag race only setup. So, the tires are what need to slip, so you want to be sure to run enough air in them that they don't dead hook. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before something's going to break.
http://instagr.am/p/CG9nT9xrTRJ/ Considering that THE fastest-accelerating cars on the planet do not dead hook, I suggest you listen to what HC5120 says.

Evidently, you have to be logged in to Instagram to see the video, but it is very demonstrative of the fact that Top Fuelers do not "dead hook." What is interesting is that even with 10,000hp on tap, they start each and every race with a bit of tire slippage, yet the wheels just don't runaway spin into useless smoke.

I think we can learn something from them.

Youtube:

·
Registered
2020 SRT SUPER STOCK HELLRAISIN
3,609 Posts
EXACTLY why I told him to get the Mickey Thompson ET STREET R Bias Ply Tires. They are specifically designed for a Manual Trans car.

Also if he has a stock clutch and he took that orfice out of the clutch master/slave line he should reinstall it. It will help the clutch lock softer/slower.

·
Registered
61 Posts
EXACTLY why I told him to get the Mickey Thompson ET STREET R Bias Ply Tires. They are specifically designed for a Manual Trans car.

Also if he has a stock clutch and he took that orfice out of the clutch master/slave line he should reinstall it. It will help the clutch lock softer/slower.
Clutches today have so much clamping force that they hit supper hard and don't slip much if at all. A lot different than the clutches that were run "back in the day." My uncle campaigned a 69 Camaro SS back in the 70s and he said he used to blow up clutches regularly and he would scrape the disc out of the bell housing with a putty knife. ha ha

Those top fuel dragsters are insane. No gear box. They have a set of clutch discs that lock up as they go down the track and that and the tire growing is their "transmission." Some of the discs end up welded together by the end of the run. It's a direct drive system, no gear box or shifting. As someone mentioned, it illustrates how something has give.

Great video on the engineering of Top Fuel cars: How Top Fuel Dragsters work

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
http://instagr.am/p/CG9nT9xrTRJ/ Considering that THE fastest-accelerating cars on the planet do not dead hook, I suggest you listen to what HC5120 says.

Evidently, you have to be logged in to Instagram to see the video, but it is very demonstrative of the fact that Top Fuelers do not "dead hook." What is interesting is that even with 10,000hp on tap, they start each and every race with a bit of tire slippage, yet the wheels just don't runaway spin into useless smoke.

I think we can learn something from them.

Youtube:
I think the “dead hook” is more of a figure of speech, obviously nothing completely “dead hooks”.

Unfortunately we just got snow up here in the Northeast and New England Dragway shut down early for the season. My car will be on a Bias ply rear for next season, still haven’t completely decided which tire to go with yet but it will def be bias.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
This UK guy may not be accurate in all his terminology, etc. but he mentions one really cool factoid.
The cars produce so much noise that two cars were once measured at 2.3 on the Richter scale.
In all my years of listening to or reading after non-UK people talk about Top Fuel, I never heard that before. Awesome!

On a side note, at 4:29 you will see why THEY are F1 pilots and YOU are not.

Hilarious note in this video from 3:41 to 3:50 "Unlike modern Pirelli tires, which tend to pull apart at the sight of any corner"

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
Slicks are a 6 speeds friend for racing as they help suck up the drive line shock...Drag radials are for autos...I have a 2009 Rt with a Arrington 426,dss shafts and dss drive shaft with a 3.91 stock rear. No brace and 60s ft are high 1.40s with no broken parts... Hoosier 17-28 slick

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Slicks are a 6 speeds friend for racing as they help suck up the drive line shock...Drag radials are for autos...I have a 2009 Rt with a Arrington 426,dss shafts and dss drive shaft with a 3.91 stock rear. No brace and 60s ft are high 1.40s with no broken parts... Hoosier 17-28 slick
I hear you bro, my only problem is I need the tire to be DOT for street nights/test and tune. I’m thinking the MT ET Street R in Bias is my best bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That sounds like an awesome ride. Is it a supercharged car? Great 60 ft time. What kind of torque and horsepower is it putting down? I looked up the Arrington 426 and it said they are rated 600 hp at the crank. What are your 1/4 mile ETs and mph? How many runs do you have on the setup?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12 Posts
That sounds like an awesome ride. Is it a supercharged car? Great 60 ft time. What kind of torque and horsepower is it putting down? I looked up the Arrington 426 and it said they are rated 600 hp at the crank. What are your 1/4 mile ETs and mph? How many runs do you have on the setup?
475971BE-78EA-494C-A20B-A6689AF69C94.jpeg

I had Arrington build it in 2013. 6.4 block with 426 bottom end comp 270 comp cam and a magnason supercharger at 10-11 psi.. makes around 660 whp maybe little more and 650ish Torque. McLeod ceramic clutch and Barton shifter..Car runs 10.7s 131mph..25-30 passes and 8000 miles NEVER any issues...Had it retuned by AJ Hemituner... Realy needs a Whipple as the Maggie is too small..Ended up getting a hellcat so now it’s Lucky to get 300 miles on it a season now.. Plum crazy A8 cat is awesome...Sent it to AJ for pulley,injectors and tune And couldn’t be happier...
475971BE-78EA-494C-A20B-A6689AF69C94.jpeg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the info! Cool car.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts