SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this board and I’m sure this issue has been discussed many, many, many times....but, I’m getting ready to finally purchase a Hellcat and wondered about the future of used Hellcats. I love looking at Cars.com, CarGurus and Autotrader (and probably 10 other ones as well) and I’m noticing more and more used Hellcats with miles between 35-50k for sale. My humble opinion is the market is going to continue getting flooded with used Hellcats with these miles because the original owners have had their fun and don’t want to deal with this car after the factory warranty runs out.

Here’s my questions: Do you think we are going to see more and more used Hellcats with this type of mileage showing up on used car lots? And do you think the prices are going to stay in the 38-45k range for long? I was waiting until after the new year to see if there were going to be any big price drops and I’m already seeing some (I know adding another year to the car decreases the value) how far do you see the discounts dropping? Are we going to see 30k 2016 Hellcats with 53k miles anytime soon (and I’m not talking about salvage ones)

I love Hellcats and plan on buying one this year and I’m not chasing the lowest price to barely afford it and can’t afford the maintenance....I’m truly wondering if a market shift is getting ready to happen and if 50k Hellcats will be a dime a dozen in two years?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Yeah it's funny and scary at the same time.

I think those that Daily drive them are waiting for the warranty to run so that they can mod them.

The Garage Queens will probably be kept for a long time unless someone dies. Then everyone will say "He should have drove it"

The low mileage HC's will eventually be sold for something that the owner thinks is better, but won't sell cheap.

Maybe there will be cheap ones to buy in the future and lets hope the young kids that do will have good insurance.
Insurance cost could also deter a young kid from buying one.

Linda :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Funny but thought-proking article....TFTS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Linda....great article and some great insight, I’m just about finished paying off my Mercedes ML63 and hope to purchase my Hellcat soon. I’m still struggling with buying a new 2019 cloth interior Hellcat from Koons (I live about 20 minutes from the dealership) or buying a leather interior low mileage used one. Thanks for responding....

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
I have cloth interior in my HC Charger and really love it, but that's me.
It's actually a mix.

My husband always bought Leather. All of our trucks have had leather interior.

Good luck with buying what you want!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Eventually we’ll see $35,000 used Hellcats, but I think it’s still a ways out there. If you can afford new, that’s always the route I suggest. New is the only way you can guarantee a vehicle is treated the way you would treat it. I’m sure someday when I part with the Hellcat, somebody is going to get a vehicle that was loved, but not every vehicle is treated the way I would hope it would be.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I will be 60 this year, this is the same things that were said back in the 70's about the original HEMI cars and see where they are today. I bought a 69 HEMI roadrunner 4-speed car with 52k in 77 not running for $3500.00 ( sticker was only $32 hundred and some change) I was 17 and the standard RR was $500-$1500... I had at the time a 68 383 I paid $450 for it and drove it to high school. Then I made a race car out of it, it was just to fast to drive on the street. Ran 12.2's back then.... I sold the HEMI car in 90 for $45,000. It was restored and now it is worth $250,000 or more. ( one of only 2 thought to be left out of 197 orginally built. 2-door post 4-speed #'s matching and is 50 years old ) Their well always be people that don't know what they are doing with these cars and many will be lost because of foolish and rust. But I believe the challenger hellcats will be just the same as the orginal HEMI cars. They will be shought after. The chargers is a different story. 4-doors are just not as desirable.... So I think the nice kept ones with low mileage will not ever be cheep.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
4,645 Posts
I think the high mileage indicates owners love driving their Hellcats and they are trading up for the really good 2019 incentive sales ($1 per HP). If you're buying new, the incentive sales are a really good offer, especially with places like Koon's doing 4% below invoice.

After 5 years and 60,000 miles, around $32,000 KBB trade-in value. Since 2008, Challenger trade-in values have held close to 48% of the original base price MSRP after 5-years. Unless it's a private seller, you could expect at 25% gap between trade-in and sale price (e.g. $32,000 trade, $38,000-$45,000 dealer sale).

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Miles and options will dictate the used values just like any other car. 53k miles? Def cheaper than a 10k mile car. Not really sure what your question is. Are you asking if higher mileage Hellcats will be dropping in value? Of course. But the used market has been stabilizing lately from what ive seen. At wholesale (dealer only) auctions ive been seeing them staying very strong, the last few of them that i watched being 2015‘s and selling in the high 40’s. They did have very low miles though.
Those first 2-3 years are when they take the biggest hit and then level off for a bit. I think a cloth car with no options is always going to be worth less regardless of time or miles. Also time of year plays a huge part. Fall and winter dramatically affects these cars like a yo-yo. You will prob pay a bit more in the spring so dont be fooled by December prices.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
LOL I just read this article this morning.

The article straddles the boundary of plagiarism. Doug Demuro of You Tube fame wrote essentially the same article back in 2015

·
Registered
62 Posts
depreciation. sure. happens with most things with designed-in obsolesence. But, all hellcats are not made the same. Max option, top of the line &/or low production models, treated well, accident free and with low miles will always hold way better value % wise, than the same car in a base, bare bones, high production edition beat to hell w/ rebuilt title.
Its doubtful most 3rd owners -as defined in that article- are buying the former. The biggest threat to our cars future is the ever tightening emission/ICE regulations.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack this post but have a question to add... Is a modded Hellcat more attractive or less desirable to the used car buyer? I'm kind of one of those "limited use guys" and only put 2000 miles a year on my car. I had one of the first Hellcats in Canada and now that my warrenty is just about done, thinking of doing a tune. Just not sure if it would deter buyer or not.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack this post but have a question to add... Is a modded Hellcat more attractive or less desirable to the used car buyer? I'm kind of one of those "limited use guys" and only put 2000 miles a year on my car. I had one of the first Hellcats in Canada and now that my warrenty is just about done, thinking of doing a tune. Just not sure if it would deter buyer or not.
Personally I’d never buy a modded Hellcat. Even if it’s spotless, I have images of the car being beat on.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts