SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Do you too think this is garbage and requires framing and tubing and a real engine?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Didn’t they offer a 396 or a 427 in ‘67?

Plymouth let ya order the ‘Cuda with a big block

That one running at Irwindale ^^^ came with a 383

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might as well have restored a Barracuda with a 273

I don’t care if you stored the tires in outer space it’s still a 273 car

I had one. A ‘67. Black interior. Fold down back seat. Fun car. Wasn’t no “mini super car” tho. Neither is that 302 car. Not imo

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I mean, there were only 602 made and I've seen one real one in 59 years. A real one in good condition would be worth a small fortune. I owned a ‘69 Z28 many years ago. Fun car, far from garbage. Wish I still had it. 67-69 Z28s all had 302 engines. It was a high winding little gem of a motor for the day.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,906 Posts
Eh, this car was one of the 602 anti-Boss 302 Mustang topping Camaros. It may have a 302, but it was a highly modified 302, built purely to beat the Boss 302's performance. I too am not a Camaro guy, but this one isn't just a 4.9L 302. They intentionally underrated the engine and it made closer to 350hp.

And, the reason it is being called "perfect" is because it has a Legend certified restoration (the tip top of concourse). The owner, over 40 years, rebuilt and restored the car with entirely new old stock parts. Everything on that car was made in 1967, to include the tires, brake pads, wiper blades, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs. Every single part with no exceptions.

Reactions: Ace1894 and WVHEMIS

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh, this car was one of the 602 anti-Boss 302 Mustang topping Camaros. It may have a 302, but it was a highly modified 302, built purely to beat the Boss 302's performance. I too am not a Camaro guy, but this one isn't just a 4.9L 302. They intentionally underrated the engine and it made closer to 350hp.
Yeah, it’s starting to come back to me now. Chevy wasn’t too happy when Ford released those boss heads lol. Highly modified? Hyd or flat tappet? What specs? Wonder how much compression it took to get 350 hp outta that rag? Poor Chevy. The max wedge did enough damage, then Ford’s boss, then back to Mopar for the final knock out blow - ‘68 Hemi Darts n Cuda’s : )

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Engine Masters did a shoot-out between the Z28 302 and the Boss 302. The Boss engine won out. FORD did a great job with these heads. Now if you want to talk about real hens teeth then the 1972 440-6 is it!

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stay down Ford!

Ahhhh 1972! The beginning of the end! Lower compression, smaller ports and valves for some applications, and then calif stepping in and squashing gross hp ratings ha. Did your 72 come with 906 heads?

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
11 to 1 - decent

230/235° @ 050 (with zero lash) meh
.450” lift (but really only 420 cuz they suggested 030 lash) meh

If ya ask me best part of this package was the short 3” stroke combined with 5.700 rod for 1.9:1 ratio (Chrysler straight out copied that from this motor when they built their RB : ) (Like they took the bore stroke and rod length from this small block and increased each proportionally til they ended up at 440”). I still build motors around these proportions today

You can have the pressed in rockers and the chevy oiling but overall I approve. Not perfect but not a bad little wedge motor either : )

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nascar was all big blocks in the 60’s

And NO Chevy or Ford gave Mopar a hard time in 1967

Thats the year Petty won 10 races in a row lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts