SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be nice for members who race another type/brand of car to have a thread or area to post in, there may be similar threads, if there is, please link them here.
For those that haven't seen my posts and videos, I'm fully into the road course but if you have a drag car that isn't the Hellcat post about it here too.
If you'd kindly put photos or videos of your car that would be great, threads like these are almost pointless if you talk about your other car but don't put a photo of it up.
It would also be nice to avoid endless quoting of other posts especially ones with photos to prevent pages of repeated reading material. I think everybody knows when you comment on the post above, without the need to quote them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMG_6003.PNG
IMG_6008.PNG
IMG_6004.PNG
I haven't been frequenting Hellcat.org as much recently. I'm researching other types of cars for racing, feel the need to step up my game a bit and move to a car that will be closer to a spec racing type, and also I want to run a car that will highlight my good/bad driving habits instead of making up for poor cornering skill with drag racing on the straights.
What I decided on was an E30 BMW, there is a local spec racing group here in the Pacific Northwest called Pro3 that I may join in 2017/2018.
But for now I bought a nice low mile 1988 325is 5 speed. for those that don't know the car it is an inline 168HP six cylinder with four wheel independent suspension that weighs about 2800lbs or less depending.
It is a challenging group but I think it will be fun as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_6122.JPG
IMG_6126.JPG
Here are a couple shots from this last Saturday at Pacific Raceways road course in Auburn Wa. of fully built Pro3 race cars that were there practicing.
I was running the Hellcat, it was 23 degrees with whispy snowflakes that didn't wet the ground. I made it to 141mph on the front stretch and ran a 1.42 minute lap time.
The Pro3 cars were on Toyo RR's or RA1's and were running in the mid to high 1.36 minute territory without going nearly as fast in the straight I'm guessing they were near 120mph at the fastest.
This spec group requires a stock CI motor, stock brakes with upgraded pads, a 2650 pound with driver minimum weight and only three tire choices all of which are Toyo. The cars are very equal making them highly competitive and they are WAY cooler than spec Miata, But are only slightly faster than the mazdas.
I need a stronger drink of adrenaline now as sport lapping a street car is fun but I'm thinking a stripped out wheel to wheel class is in order.
I though heavily about a V8 group like corvettes and vipers but moving up from an underpowered light momentum style car generally speeds the learning curve from what I've been told and have read. Plus its way cheaper and the group has a better grass roots camaraderie.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,307 Posts
Currently isn't running, but this is our car that was my wife's daily when we met autocrossing. This was after we dumped nearly $30k into it, and then I missed a shift and sent rockers through the valve cover. Then we started buying more expensive and newer cars and it sits on jack stands in the garage. p7100147.jpg

This was the next fun daily my wife had IMG_20131006_114915_476.jpg

And this was my last daily before the charger
20150611_201859.jpg

They have all seen some form of track time, and lots of spirited canyon romps.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,010 Posts
IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_3627.JPG

Congratulations. I think the E30 BMW is a good place to start. Just be aware not to get bitten by the bug too much. I have no idea how deep your pockets are but if for arguments sake you go E30 M3 spec it starts costing real $$$'s to be competitive. From experience the faster you want to go the more money it costs. That sounds completely obvious but the cost is not linear it is exponential. Faster cars eat tyres, discs, pads, bushes, suspension and need a full refresh far more often.
One of the reasons I went the historic route is that it can be done on a sensible budget. In most series we all have to run a historic tyre like a Dunlop Crossply. The cars have to run as they did in period but in truth to build one from scratch costs a lot of money. Both the 911 and the Mustang I bought already done but I have improved them a fair bit. The plus side is that they hold their value and in truth are still going up. Both cars are worth double what I paid for them. So when you get a bill for something a little expensive you don't feel like you are throwing money down the drain.
The Porsche is a 1965 2 litre car on its original 6 number individual Solex carburettors with around 175 bhp and weighs 2200lb. Feels very light to drive and stops really well on its tiny little brake calipers.
The Mustang is a 1965 289CI with over 400 bhp and weighs 2600lb. This is a brute. No power steering, heavy clutch, no power brakes. A proper handful but unlike modern day race cars with abs, traction control, power steering and air con. These cars you are in complete control. You win or loose by your own ability.
Taking Spa Francorchamp in Belgium for example. At the top of the Kemmel straight before Le Combe in the Porsche you are making about 126mph. The Mustang is making about 154mph and it still retains its drum rear brakes so you cannot be one of the late brakers.
Enjoy, have fun and be safe my friend :D

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
192 Posts

The old Neon I bought new in September '95 that I've had forever. 2.4 swap from a random PT Cruiser, ~12.7:1 Wiseco on Eagle rods, .492" lift Crane Cams, good header and intake manifold, no boost, no bottle. Has gone 12.31 @ 111 a couple of different places. Was my daily driver, no crazy sawzall chopping.

neon rock falls (800x459).jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my 66 Chevelle, speaking of manual steering and manual brakes. It has a destoked .060 over big block 439ci makes 413hp on the tires. Autogear M22 drag special four speed, twelve bolt with 3.73's. Runs 11.44 in the 1320. I have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about going the pro touring route with this car for road course work.
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_2539.JPG

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,859 Posts
WOW This is a really Kool Thread!:cool::D:cool:
Linda:)

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,859 Posts
So when are the reserved spots going to be filled?:cool:

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,859 Posts
well there are in the original posts of spaces were left because, I thought the op wanted to post something cool

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,041 Posts
Got it...you were just questioning why the blank reserved posts? Linda, off topic but I remember seeing your first post of the Charger in front of the dealer when you and Topcat were picking up your red beauty! I guess it was an inspiration...not to mention when I saw the YouTube video showing you running 9.7's @143 mph! I had to get one! Sold this 7,600 mile numbers matching A12 Runner to do it!
image.jpg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
80 Posts

Anybody in to karting? I like running TaG (touch and go) karts, which are 125cc water cooled engines that rev to somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-16,000 rpm depending upon the manufacturer. That's me in the #21 at our local club track.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
613 Posts
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]my two current toys... the slow and the not so slow. Both on hold for way to long.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts