SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
HOTM Winner
Charger SRT Hellcat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this page and to the hellcat community. Ordered a 17 charger hellcat, and I'm already trying to figure out the first mods. Now I'm hearing all over the internet that long tube headers give little to no performance gains and can cause a loss of boost, is that true? I like my vehicles loud, live on property so the neighbors aren't as close as a populated area. There's that and also hearing CAI are not the best for gains either. I have been looking at Bwoody intakes which sound incredible but guys are saying it has a metal tube and it heats up which blows warm air into the engine, thoughts? I don't mean to sound like I have no experience but I'm new to the hellcat scene. Any info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,342 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,073 Posts
Mid-muffler delete - done with exhaust.

Legmaker carbon fiber CAI- done with intake.
LMI Hellcat Air Intake

Best bang for the buck Mod - Purchase a set of 20x10.5" replica wheels and wrap them in 305/35/20 555R's to switch out on nice warm days when you really want to experience what the Hellcat can dish out with some WOT runs.
Keep your OEM wheels and tires to switch back when weather gets colder.
Style 70 | Factory Reproductions
2 NEW 305/35-20 NITTO NT 555R DRAG 35R R20 TIRES | eBay
LegMaker carbon will look nice

·
HOTM Winner
Charger SRT Hellcat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mid-muffler delete - done with exhaust.

Legmaker carbon fiber CAI- done with intake.
LMI Hellcat Air Intake

Best bang for the buck Mod - Purchase a set of 20x10.5" replica wheels and wrap them in 305/35/20 555R's to switch out on nice warm days when you really want to experience what the Hellcat can dish out with some WOT runs.
Keep your OEM wheels and tires to switch back when weather gets colder.
Style 70 | Factory Reproductions
2 NEW 305/35-20 NITTO NT 555R DRAG 35R R20 TIRES | eBay
I just am not educated on the whole losing boost from headers. I know the headers leave more air to flow, making the boost to lower due to the less restriction. I just love the sound of a long tube header and a cat back exhaust. But I don't want my car to suffer

·
HOTM Winner
Charger SRT Hellcat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shouldn't say not educated. I've sat for a good 2 hours tonight reading why the headers make the boost to lower. I just need some one to drop some knowledge

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,383 Posts
So I'm new to this page and to the hellcat community. Ordered a 17 charger hellcat, and I'm already trying to figure out the first mods. Now I'm hearing all over the internet that long tube headers give little to no performance gains and can cause a loss of boost, is that true? I like my vehicles loud, live on property so the neighbors aren't as close as a populated area. There's that and also hearing CAI are not the best for gains either. I have been looking at Bwoody intakes which sound incredible but guys are saying it has a metal tube and it heats up which blows warm air into the engine, thoughts? I don't mean to sound like I have no experience but I'm new to the hellcat scene. Any info is greatly appreciated
The easiest mod would be a open filter intake like the lmi. Like the car wasn't fun enough drive after the intake get to play blower music all over town. Seriously people will be turning there heads to see what is making all that noise. That's just part throttle with some load.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
445 Posts
Booker - is it really that loud with just the mid-muffler delete - damn! I love it, but I was under the impression that the mid muffler delete just made the cat 20% or so louder. Maybe at idle vs wide open.

As for Mods - the first one would be some sort of Xpel/clear bra on the nose and EOM $85 little mud flaps to protect the paint behind the tires.

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,157 Posts
Yeah the first mods should be some sort of clear bra application (xpel/Suntek) along with the mudflaps. I have them and it provides adequate protection. The first mod I personally do for all my cars are tints. Play with the car for the first few months or so and then decide if you need any further performance enhancements.

For me personally the car is perfect as it is. I have left both my cars bone stock except for the cosmetic mods mentioned above. I feel the SRT engineers executed this brilliantly. All the best and congrats..!!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Lots of options. Lots of searching and reading to do on these fine forums.

Will all depend on what you want...fashion or functional mods. Care about warranty? Budget? Daily driver or sunny Sundays? Driving styles and habits?

Best advice is above. Get it and drive it and figure it out from there. Stock runs pretty darn well less the traction issue. There are lots of fashion mods to make more noise or sharpen the appearance (CAI, mid muffler delete, tints, stripes, wraps). There are functional perfomance mods that won't affect warranty (drive shaft, tires, 3.09 differential) and those that will impact (pullies, tune, E85).

Owners choice but best to give it a few laps about the block before deciding. Spend the break in time getting to know it and do some planning.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
I think the mid muffler delete or swapping mufflers for another pair is the best bet for a sound mod. I had my factory mid mufflers cut out and Flowmaster Outlaws installed in place of them. IMO sounds just as loud as the muffler delete, but no raspiness and it has a little of the Flowmaster tone to it. Either way you can't go wrong. Just depends if you want rasp or no rasp.

Here's a clip from another member on the forum with the Flowmaster Outlaws in place of the stock mid mufflers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
281 Posts
Probably the best initial mod you can make is to "upgrade the driver". Go to the three-day Bondurant Hellcat High Performance Driving course. The things you learn (or re-learn) in that course will help you get the most out of the car... and probably help keep you from wrecking the car.

To echo the comment from ciphros above, these things are pretty well designed and equipped "as delivered"... and have more capability than most mere mortals can safely handle. Compared to my 2010 SRT8, the evolution of this same basic vehicle platform is striking... especially in just the short time that has elapsed.

Power, Handling, Braking, Technology, and Styling... Incredible improvements.

Yes, like many here I have contemplated exhaust changes... wheel and tire changes... etc.

However, I am glad that I took my own advice and went to the three-day Bondurant course and drove the beast "as is" for a while...

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
24 Posts
You may want to hold off on any mods until you see if the super charger bearings hold up and not go bad as they might use any excuse to not replace
the super charger.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
I'm not buying into long tube & boost numbers. You make full boost long before high rpm back pressure would ever come into play. If choked up exhaust was so great for high boost numbers, go find a large potato and jam it up the pipes. Lemme know if you get 20psi. ;)

Your not changing cam overlap, so boost # shouldn't change unless the stock exhaust is severely undersized. And if it *is*, you would see hp gains.

If you have a cam profile meant for a non blower car and you stick a blower on it, you will blow boost right out the exhaust. You don't need the scavenging properties as much, since your intake is pressurized. Obviously we have a cam meant for boost. Long tubes shouldn't hurt. If you run without cats one less restriction.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
One of the first non performance mods needs to be heated/chilled cupholders. Use mine every day. :)

Then you'll swap out your dusty brake pads after 1 week of dust all over your car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,015 Posts
If you have the money then put LT on but you will read that unless you are going to tune it they are not going to give you the "bang for your buck" that you are looking for. For the price of LT you can get a set of 3.09 gears and really see a difference. But if you have your paint protection set up I would go with a Bwoody or LMI CAI. You will love the the sound! It is AMAZING! And FYI if you want a Bwoody I have one for sale for only $250 plus shipping in wrinkle black.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,015 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts