SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure you’ve all heard the alarming stories of the uptick in HC thefts. What are you all doing for prevention and recovery? Kill switch? Pedal lock? Steering wheel lock? Neutral lock? Is Uconnect useful as a LoJack type tracker? I keep mine in a padlocked garage and I carry and have full solid insurance... But still... Looking for anything extra to not make it easy for them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,505 Posts
I’m sure you’ve all heard the alarming stories of the uptick in HC thefts. What are you all doing for prevention and recovery? Kill switch? Pedal lock? Steering wheel lock? Neutral lock? Is Uconnect useful as a LoJack type tracker? I keep mine in a padlocked garage and I carry and have full solid insurance... But still... Looking for anything extra to not make it easy for them.
Don't count on the Uconnect as a locator. I wouldn't say its reliable enough. Mine is a garage queen. I recently installed a neutral release cover another member is selling that places a metal cover over the release lanyard making take longer to get it into neutral. The steering wheel lock would pose an immediate visible deterrent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't count on the Uconnect as a locator. I wouldn't say its reliable enough. Mine is a garage queen. I recently installed a neutral release cover another member is selling that places a metal cover over the release lanyard making take longer to get it into neutral. The steering wheel lock would pose an immediate visible deterrent.
Who is selling that neutral release cover? Also, what is the best steering wheel lock to get?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with above. I stopped in today to chat with a buddy of mine at a local dealership that has a ton of hellcats & actually had a white demon with satin hood in for service today. anyways last week two guys came in for a test drive, and when finished they gave the salesman back a different key. sure enough later that day when the dealership was closed that vehicle was stolen. I believe this is at least the third incident within less than a year involving hellcats at this dealership. late last summer someone came and cut the wheel studs off of a used challenger on the front line & stole the wheels/tires, and about a month ago it happened again to a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with above. I stopped in today to chat with a buddy of mine at a local dealership that has a ton of hellcats & actually had a white demon with satin hood in for service today. anyways last week two guys came in for a test drive, and when finished they gave the salesman back a different key. sure enough later that day when the dealership was closed that vehicle was stolen. I believe this is at least the third incident within less than a year involving hellcats at this dealership. late last summer someone came and cut the wheel studs off of a used challenger on the front line & stole the wheels/tires, and about a month ago it happened again to a brand new vehicle.
Wow. When I test drove one the sales guy was with me and held the key the whole time. Most dealerships are very reluctant to let HCs be test driven without a credit check and / or a deposit hold.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow. When I test drove one the sales guy was with me and held the key the whole time. Most dealerships are very reluctant to let HCs be test driven without a credit check and / or a deposit hold.
x2 on that. I was fortunate enough to test drive a 6 speed and an 8 speed a few years back when I was browsing, and the saleswoman ran all of my info first. When it came time to test drive, she held the keys. Every other dealership I dealt with wanted a purchase agreement, the money in full, or they didn’t allow test drives.

The dealer where this theft happened has gates around their main property, as they are located on a very busy main highway. Thing is they just purchased an old neighboring building & expanded their operations, but the new building doesn’t have any type of protection. The car was driven around the area with open access, down the grass, and onto the main road. If taken south the highway leads directly into center city Philadelphia, and i’m sure the car was either parted out or vin washed. Such a shame.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I have a 6 speed. It is a natural deterrent. Most kids (18-35) in town do not know how to even drive a 3 pedal car.
Plus it is in my motion sensored, contact on all doors garage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
x2 on that. I was fortunate enough to test drive a 6 speed and an 8 speed a few years back when I was browsing, and the saleswoman ran all of my info first. When it came time to test drive, she held the keys. Every other dealership I dealt with wanted a purchase agreement, the money in full, or they didn’t allow test drives.

The dealer where this theft happened has gates around their main property, as they are located on a very busy main highway. Thing is they just purchased an old neighboring building & expanded their operations, but the new building doesn’t have any type of protection. The car was driven around the area with open access, down the grass, and onto the main road. If taken south the highway leads directly into center city Philadelphia, and i’m sure the car was either parted out or vin washed. Such a shame.
Damn shame. Almost sounds like an inside job...?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 6 speed. It is a natural deterrent. Most kids (18-35) in town do not know how to even drive a 3 pedal car.
True about people not know how to drive a stick. That said, professionals certainly know. I keep mine in a padlocked garage, but just being wary of when she's out of her den.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,505 Posts
Here's the link for the cover. I'm not sure about the wheel locks.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
Garage is really the best way to keep it safe. If a hellcat is left outside overnight it's in Gods hands at that point.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
150 Posts
I see some are buying the same boots used by municipalities to immobilize their cars. I had mine stolen and it was the worst feeling ever. State Farm took care of me, but I had B5 Blue and of course they don't make B5 any longer so ended up with Torred - eh. At any rate, the neutral pull covers seems like a good idea but these thieves know about the trans clip for sure. Mine was stolen and the Unconnect checked in 30 minute after I parked it and never again. (Was at a friends house on the street in a "good neighborhood" ) I am thinking about a boot, a steering wheel lock and possibly a kill switch. I have the "better" Mopar alert system which is far more robust but all it will do is notify you if the car moves or leaves an area which you define. Great idea but if you miss the message, your car is still gone. I'd rather come out and see my car a burning mass of metal than to see it gone. I have thought about building a device that will destroy the car and anyone within a few feet if tampered with but I know that's a bad idea. Just wish there was a method to vaporize the thieves.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
951 Posts
How is that a deterrent when they are simply putting the automatics in neutral to steal them? They wouldn’t even have to pull the storage tray on a manual.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,160 Posts
How is that a deterrent when they are simply putting the automatics in neutral to steel them? They wouldn’t even have to pull the storage tray on a manual.
That's true and in that case the 6-speed is even easier.

Pop it into neutral and release the parking brake and you're off. And some don't even set their parking brake.

And even though not as many manual trans drivers out there like before, most can still figure it out. I had my 5-speed manual Chevy pickup stolen, luckily I got it back a week later with no damage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts