SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a 180F thermostat and the new one is much shorter than the stock one. The stock one landed in the back of the housing against spring tension. The new one isn’t long enough to touch the back of the housing. Is this normal for an aftermarket 180F thermostat? Pictures attached. Thanks

Stephen
2019 Redeye Challenger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Have Guns Will Travel
2019 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye - 2015 Challenger Hellcat
6,353 Posts
Yep, you should be good to go. You do know without a tune you will trip a CEL.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger HellCat WideBody
12 Posts
Yep, you should be good to go. You do know without a tune you will trip a CEL.
what is CEL? and you saying just by lowering the temp when the thremostat opens yuo need to get a a tune

·
Registered
2021 widebody Redeye on order.
222 Posts
CEL= Check Engine Light. And yes, lowering coolant temp will trigger a light. The engine is designed to run a certain temperature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is CEL? and you saying just by lowering the temp when the thremostat opens yuo need to get a a tune
The fuel map mixture is not optimal until at design temp. So that will be an issue if not tuned for the lower thermostat setting. Also your fan triggers need to be lowered to coincide with the thermostat such that the operating temperature band is not too broad.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,093 Posts
I've ran a 180 degree thermostat in my 2015 HC for at least 3 years... Never tripped a CEL or any codes? I know others that have done the same thing???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is possible that you don’t throw a code. You just have to realize that the ECU will run the car on different timing and fuel trims until it sees the car at programmed normal operating temperature. With that being said, and the power these hellcat/Redeye/demon’s make you should be on a tune for a 180 thermostat long term. To add the car should not be allowed to cycle temperatures from the 180 thermostat to the stock fan trigger setpoints. Those fan triggers need to reduced for the 180 thermostat to prevent large cyclic temperature swings which will also effect fuel and timing trims.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger HellCat WideBody
12 Posts
It is possible that you don’t throw a code. You just have to realize that the ECU will run the car on different timing and fuel trims until it sees the car at programmed normal operating temperature. With that being said, and the power these hellcat/Redeye/demon’s make you should be on a tune for a 180 thermostat long term. To add the car should not be allowed to cycle temperatures from the 180 thermostat to the stock fan trigger setpoints. Those fan triggers need to reduced for the 180 thermostat to prevent large cyclic temperature swings which will also effect fuel and timing trims.
So on the hellcat race mode for cooldown the fans will only cool down on the correct ecm program for the car.. So I guess on a custom tune all this will work the same way as the factory program works? and that drag race tune that Barth performance offers it will work extra time?

HO Upgrade Kit - 2018+ Challenger Hellcat and Redeye

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So on the hellcat race mode for cooldown the fans will only cool down on the correct ecm program for the car.. So I guess on a custom tune all this will work the same way as the factory program works? and that drag race tune that Barth performance offers it will work extra time?

HO Upgrade Kit - 2018+ Challenger Hellcat and Redeye
I would definitely ask Barth about it to be certain how he programs it. The fans will work a bit more in the summer time to keep close to 180F. Normally when you go to track mode the fan runs on high most of the time as I recall.

·
Registered
18 Charger Hellcat
154 Posts
Unless you live in an area that doesn't get too cold, it wont trip a CEL.

I am tuned by Barth and my tune is also set for a 180 t-stat. I still throw a code when its really cold out for the vehicle taking too long to get to operating temp. This usually happens if I take the car out when its in the 30's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts