SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellas,
Looks like they tried to steal my hellcat last night, they shattered my passesnger side rear window. First I thought maybe it was just some young punks trying to steal whatever belongings I had inside and then noticed it was just a baby bag full of diapers and stuff. Then I opened the passenger front door and saw this hanging and noticed “NH3” was disconnected. Not sure if it’s supposed to be like that since it’s shorter than the others. Car turns on and runs just fine. At safelite as I right this, any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
-Sa

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
Never leave anything in the cabin of your car when you park it. I use the trunk to store stuff. And avoid after parking moving stuff from the cabin to the trunk. Someone could be watching you.

As for the attempted theft that all it "cost" you was a side window and not sure what the electrical connector is for and what that means be thankful. There have been too many posts by owners who have had a car stolen.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
213 Posts
From another forum (thank you Google), NH3 is supposedly the connector for adaptive cruise, which Hellcats can't have, due to the cooling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is several videos of thief's using this method of stealing our cars, breaking the back passenger side window to gain access because they can defeat the alarm that way, then move to the front seat pull down that harness and connect into it using a laptop to take full control of the car, they are gone with in 3 mins. Your lucky they didn't take it, I would add a GPS tracker (not UConnects crappy one) and a kill switch if I were you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is several videos of thief's using this method of stealing our cars, breaking the back passenger side window to gain access because they can defeat the alarm that way, then move to the front seat pull down that harness and connect into it using a laptop to take full control of the car, they are gone with in 3 mins. Your lucky they didn't take it, I would add a GPS tracker (not UConnects crappy one) and a kill switch if I were you.
Totally agree. I wouldn’t trust that this is over. I think they might have gotten interrupted and will be back.

I can’t imagine owning such a thief magnet and then having to leave it outside unprotected. It would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
484 Posts
Sorry to hear about it., The way they’re stealing these with the laptop would dodge new four digit pin code help with any thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry. Any CCTV around?
So they were definitely scoping out my hellcat, I’m in the process of moving and 3 days ago I removed my cameras from my townhouse to put on my new house. So to answer your question no, no cctv at my house or neighbors house. I just got home, and a neighbor told me that another neighbors car was stolen last night. Looks like these pricks have a thing for Mopar cuz the neighbor drives a 300 srt-8

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear about it., The way they’re stealing these with the laptop would dodge new four digit pin code help with any thing?
another Member, Anguish posted earlier that it may be for adaptive cruising

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
484 Posts
another Member, Anguish posted earlier that it may be for adaptive cruising
Would the Dodge four digit pin help in anyway , I’m confused. But it looks like somebody saying they’re stealing them with laptops.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,747 Posts
Parking a Hellcat outside is throwing it to the wolves. Low hanging fruit. They'll be back, find yourself a garage.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
81 Posts
The 4 pin code may or may not help depending on how lazily its implemented. For example, the valet pin can be defeated by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.
ID imagine they're a bit more competent than that but with how connected everything is over canbus (and unencrypted) I wouldn't be surprised if they can bypass that pin restriction with a laptop.

As far as that connector, it's a junction that ties the canbus C nodes together. (engine, trans, adaptive cruise, ABS, etc.) They are connecting there to program in a new key as they can't do it directly on the obd port anymore after the security gateway.
The connector is basically the car's network switch/hub very simply put.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Damn lucky it was only a window friend and as others have said, they’ll be back. Garage that thing quick!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
913 Posts
The 4 pin code may or may not help depending on how lazily its implemented. For example, the valet pin can be defeated by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.
ID imagine they're a bit more competent than that but with how connected everything is over canbus (and unencrypted) I wouldn't be surprised if they can bypass that pin restriction with a laptop.

As far as that connector, it's a junction that ties the canbus C nodes together. (engine, trans, adaptive cruise, ABS, etc.) They are connecting there to program in a new key as they can't do it directly on the obd port anymore after the security gateway.
The connector is basically the car's network switch/hub very simply put.
So in order to stop hackers from being malicious OTA they created/shifted to a secondary means to achieve the same thing while making their job harder?

Brilliant.

·
Registered
2017 Pitch Black challenger Hellcat
47 Posts
Am I getting paranoid or are these cars getting stolen all the time at this point? It sounds like your car would have been gone if they had another 5 minutes. Do any of you even leave your car unattended at this point? I’m glad you still have your car and hope wherever you’re moving it has a garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would the Dodge four digit pin help in anyway , I’m confused. But it looks like somebody saying they’re stealing them with laptops.
Its unknown how the 4 digit pin security fix will work as it hasn't been released yet. BUT if its anything like valet mode then its worthless cause all it takes is disconnecting the battery for it to reset Valet mode. And with out knowing exactly how they are hacking the cars thru that wire bundle its unknown if the security fix will be affected by it or not. IMHO its just a little stitch band aide on a gashing wound to placate owners, it fixes nothing and if it operates as they said it will actually make it a PITA to drive the car regularly.

From what I have researched: (All this information is out there for the finding if you look it up)
  • Going thru passenger back window defeats the alarm (Charger and Jeep models)
  • I've seen several security videos of the thief getting in and grabbing that bundle behind the glove box and hooking into it with a laptop and then driving off with the car a few mins later.
  • I've read several posts where people have interrupted an attempted theft of their car to find the back passenger window busted out and that bundle pulled down from under the glove box.
  • UConnect GPS tracking is worthless because the thief's disable them immediately, just like the other post where the guys Charger was stolen from the dealers shop.
  • Even if they don't immediately disable it, it takes up to 30 mins for it to report to its home server and then back to you saying the car has moved. I tested this on several cases, its totally worthless.
  • You can pull the neutral release and push/tow the car away until you can get it on a flat bed.
  • Only way to ensure you can get it back is to add a 3rd party GPS tracker that is hidden and self contained but connected to the battery so its self charging. (I'm using the LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker, I know with in 30 seconds if the car leaves the Geo fence, I can track it every where it travels, but like everything it can be defeated but they have to find it first to disable it.)
  • Install a plate to block the neutral release so it can't be activated with out work.
  • Install a kill switch so they cant start it and drive it away.

Just in Michigan alone last year over 1000 Charger, Challenger, and Track Hawks, including a Durango Hellcat Mule which the driver had just parked and went inside were stolen. I am sure there is a national dB with the the numbers, but when is FCA/Stillanis/Dodge/Chyrsler/Jeep/Ram going to step up and fix this very serious and alarmingly large security hole in these vehicles systems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With Hellcat and Hellcat Redeye engines fetching up to $22K on Ebay..............BOOM there is the incentive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thieves like quiet, dark and no interruptions. Buy a Ring camera with the automatic spot lights or put your car in a locked garage. The super bright automatic spot lights are a big deterrent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts