SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, anyone have a no option car? Any option you regret not getting?

This will be a weekend / nice weather only car to row the gears.

$55k for entry seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
683 Posts
If that's all you want to do with it, then go nuts. Assuming you can get them to make an M6, as the order banks have not opened on M6s as far as I have seen. I have never owned a base spec car, but I did drive one as a dealer loaner for two days. I'm admittedly a horrible example, as my normal daily driver is a nearly completely optioned 2020 Hellcat (no sunroof or tech package, all other options are a go). Going from the Laguna leather to the basic cloth was just terrible. The car smelled funny (cloth soaks up farts, ball sweat, and god knows whatever else), and the seats weren't nearly as comfortable. I might even rate them as one of the worst seats I've ever sat in on a car that costs more than $40k.

If you never want to play music in the car, then the stock Alpine is fine. It's an embarrassment, especially when compared to the H+K. My wife's Tucson has a better base stereo than the Alpine in the HC. As far as interior atmosphere, the higher optional trims add things like Laguna or Alcantara door panels. With the Laguna specifically, it has nice stitched door panels and a genuine leather dash. The base model cat gets that el cheapo formed rubber nonsense that the V6 Challengers get. So, for when you're not rowing gears, it is not a nice place to spend time in. It's still comfortable overall, but for me specifically, stepping down to that from my premium interior was really eye opening.

I won't comment too much on the M6, as I normally drive an A8, but the loaner was an M6. I was not impressed with the Mopar stock shifter and clutch feel. The manual I normally drive is either a Ford M6 (modified MT-80) or the manual in a Lotus Elise on the track. I've never been a fan of any of the manuals Mopar makes. So, if I did have to stick with it, the stock shifter would be removed, as well as the clutch. I'd replace them with a proper performance clutch and a Barton shifter (or opt for a Hurst for nostalgia's sake).

But, for me again, $55k for a barebones car isn't worth it. I paid a lot more than 55k, but it's a daily driver and not a garage queen. If I am going to spend large amounts of time in a car, I'd rather have the options than a low pricepoint. Track cars are one thing, but my street cars are well apportioned because I',m not 21 anymore. That, and a Dodge halo car with a cloth interior always looks odd to me. Again, I'm probably not the best comparison. I put a bit over 1,000mi a month on mine :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
474 Posts
I think it’s a great idea, Also if you ever do decide to sell it you can undercut everybody’s price. Nobody can have a cheaper one than you. The big profit is in the options in the fluff. Power this power that leather sunroof blah blah blah nothing to do with performance Mostly a waste. Get the car and experience it. The first go around with muscle cars most of them were bare bones big motor stick shift and nothing else. Less was more

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
683 Posts
I think it’s a great idea, Also if you ever do decide to sell it you can undercut everybody’s price. Nobody can have a cheaper one than you. The big profit is in the options in the fluff. Power this power that leather sunroof blah blah blah nothing to do with performance Mostly a waste. Get the car and experience it. The first go around with muscle cars most of them were bare bones big motor stick shift and nothing else. Less was more
If all a person wants is power, then go cheap. But, most of us, me included... you get used to the car in about a week. It's still fun and crazy fast, but having options tends to make the car more enjoyable. After a week or so, and after all your friends have taken their turns riding along, it loses its shock value and then you're stuck with a no options car. I did this with a 2014 Mustang a while back. I wanted it as light as possible so it could take a twin turbo set up and be nothing but performance. I sold the car 6 months after I bought it because its stereo was terrible, had no options (no backup camera, no touchscreen at all, and the cloth Ford used was horrendous). It was that car's fault that caused me to build my 1,200whp 2015 Mustang (this time on a premium package car). That's because, to me, nothing says COOL as a 1,000+ whp car that also has heated/cooled leather seats and in-dash nav. We could go back in time and live like cavemen, but why not be civilized :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
474 Posts
If all a person wants is power, then go cheap. But, most of us, me included... you get used to the car in about a week. It's still fun and crazy fast, but having options tends to make the car more enjoyable. After a week or so, and after all your friends have taken their turns riding along, it loses its shock value and then you're stuck with a no options car. I did this with a 2014 Mustang a while back. I wanted it as light as possible so it could take a twin turbo set up and be nothing but performance. I sold the car 6 months after I bought it because its stereo was terrible, had no options (no backup camera, no touchscreen at all, and the cloth Ford used was horrendous). It was that car's fault that caused me to build my 1,200whp 2015 Mustang (this time on a premium package car). That's because, to me, nothing says COOL as a 1,000+ whp car that also has heated/cooled leather seats and in-dash nav. We could go back in time and live like cavemen, but why not be civilized :)
That certainly is a lot of words. No sale. You buy fully loaded. I buy stripped. We’re both happy. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!

Stereo - meh, I’m sure its good enough
Seats - cloth doesn’t bother me; I have heated and cooled on my daily

I just want to polish it with a diaper and drive like a dip shit when the weather is nice. Am I really missing anything from a driving perspective? It’s not like the base model has crank windows and no ac.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do it. I bought a base with the automatic and I’m super happy! You still have heated seats and heated steering, no cooled seats though. The cloth seats are comfy as hell and the alpine stereo isn’t that bad at all. Its not kick ass but also not as bad some of the people make it out to be. It drives amazing and fun as hell. I didn’t need any leather. Always hated the leather in my bmw and my wifes tahoe since its gets so damn hot in the summer in SC. I’m glad I bought one. Will definitely buy a redeye in 3 years and will continue to own a Hellcat for a while. They so much fun to drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wanted the whole experience so I looked for a car that was loaded but, hey, it's your money, get what you want. Put the money you save into Xpel would be my only advice.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,500 Posts
Stereo - meh, I’m sure its good enough
Lol if only I had a nickel for every time Ive read comments like that with follow ups saying how they hate the crappy base radio, not thinking it was THIS bad, and wishing they had splurged - I’d have at least a buck.
Also a no option cloth car may be cheap power but down the road it’s an almost impossible sell. Hey if the price is right anything will sell but it’s a sh!t ton easier to sell one with at least leather.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
Lol if only I had a nickel for every time Ive read comments like that with follow ups saying how they hate the crappy base radio, not thinking it was THIS bad, and wishing they had splurged - I’d have at least a buck.
Also a no option cloth car may be cheap power but down the road it’s an almost impossible sell. Hey if the price is right anything will sell but it’s a sh!t ton easier to sell one with at least leather.
Was gonna say this, unless you plan to never sell I would vote against a base, its going to get brushed aside when resale comes and there are tons of fully optioned cars same location same mileage for a grand or two more...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to hold on to things. Definitely if I was planning to flip in a few years resell would be a bigger consideration.

In 8 to 10 years these options will have less value I think.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
I really like roadtrippin` in my car - if you like driving a few thousand miles in a week or so a few times a year don`t go too cheap with some of the creature comforts.
I remember 8 years or so ago when many people were screaming for an entry level - no frills Challenger SRT8. So the Dodge Challenger "Core" was introduced and I don`t remember that being a hit with most buyers. I think the "Core" Challenger lasted about 2 years before being discontinued.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A Hellcat of any form is cool , but there aren’t making M6’s right now , not sure if they will for the 21 model year , I wanted one and have looked into called FCA and had salesman call. Latest word is three is a parts shortage and they don’t plan to make them this year. But ya never know things could change Going in to order a new HC A8 tomorrow.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts
My car came withe the Harmon-Kardon "premium" stereo and in my opinion, it's nothing impressive at all. It has a lot of speakers and such and doesn't sound bad but probably the biggest " huh" moment of disappointment when I bought my car. I was really expecting more. In fairness I've never heard the alpine but maybe before you spend big bucks for the Harmon listen to them both and see if it's worth the extra money! (And yes peeps, the supercharger and exhaust note do make up for it!) ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something on the charger HC, but there is literally 3 things that make it “non optioned out”...sunroof, nav, and sound system...am I missing something?

And I’m not including paint, wheels, or racing stripes into options.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
857 Posts
It's a totally fine choice. My HC is a base widebody (M6) and it does everything I need it to just fine.

I don't have serious issues with sweat or unintentional bowel secretions so my cloth seats aren't a problem. If these are issues for you, an easy-wipe surface may be ideal. And probably a visit to your physician too.

More for the sake of more is a personal choice. However, the money I saved on options (be they technology or textiles) I have put into other mods which are far more impactful than what would have otherwise been in terms of a ROI. Plus, I can always add leather or better sound down the line.

Arguing resale value is a silly debate if you plan on keeping the car. If the green weenies have their way these cars may be worthless in a decade.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts