SRT Hellcat Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
If it hasnt had regular oil changes it going to have rocker issues. Bearings fail on rocker arms, if its not repaired on the first sign of tapping noise they wipe the cam lobes out. 9 speed trans are garbage. They are better than when they released them in 14 but still trash. Lower control arm bushing are a weak point too. Engine oil coolers are always leaking on 3.2 and 3.6.

Thanks for the heads up, failed bearings and flat cam would suck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You will of course get positive reviews from people who have owned and serviced them since new. But that is a rare find with the class of car that the 200 is. They are basically an entry level vehicle that is cheap to purchase new and as such draws a mostly cheap crowd. They typically tend to not be well serviced and driven hard like the first one you found. If you look hard enough you can probably find a clean one but tbh overall theyre really not the best. I would not own one.
I get what you're saying and I guess thats kinda what I'm looking for ,an entry level type car , but in nice shape. But yeah, with the higher mile cars I'm looking at it can be a gamble. If I see obvious red flags I move on. Since the first two 200s cars were a no go (they sent the second one to auction) I'm looking at pretty much any brand or model till I find "the one" Just want something That looks good and has some power! I am a car guy after all LOL. Thanks for the input.
We had a Dart and really liked it. I think the 200 with the V6, AWD and in ā€œSā€ Edition would be a really cool and rare car. And fast. Guess the 9 speed had some issues in the beginning. Here is one in black that looked cool in my opinion:
Yup! Thats a nice example!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Update: So after driving a few more 200's I did not pull the trigger. Although I really like the car to find one I considered buying I was getting up to the 16k $ range, more than my original budget which seemed to be going up and up. So I ended up with this gem found locally on face book! LOL. 2008 grand prix . 150k. They wanted 4500 and I offered 3800 which he jumped on so probably could have got for a little less. Had to spend a couple days tinkering on it. Had the common gm 3.8 L plastic 90 degree cracked coolant fitting (15$) Replaced front wheel bearing hub and broken sway bar link (70 $) Was missing a door molding which I scored for 5 bucks at a pic-a-part. sanded and painted it. About 20 bucks total with supplies. It runs and drives great and the leather is a little wore but nothing is broke or missing on the interior and every button and switch works and it has a new sony bluetooth radio! The body has a few more dings and scrapes than I like
but nothing major. Tires are new. It also should have a new windshield but WY winters on the interstate are brutal on them so I'll wait till spring or maybe Santa will get one for me. So time will tell but I think it will be a good commuter for a few years or more. My maiden voyage to work was our first snow storm! Take care all!

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive parking light
Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Gauge

Update: So after driving a few more 200's I did not pull the trigger. Although I really like the car to find one I considered buying I was getting up to the 16k $ range, more than my original budget which seemed to be going up and up. So I ended up with this gem found locally on face book! LOL. 2008 grand prix . 150k. They wanted 4500 and I offered 3800 which he jumped on so probably could have got for a little less. Had to spend a couple days tinkering on it. Had the common gm 3.8 L plastic 90 degree cracked coolant fitting (15$) Replaced front wheel bearing hub and broken sway bar link (70 $) Was missing a door molding which I scored for 5 bucks at a pic-a-part. sanded and painted it. About 20 bucks total with supplies. It runs and drives great and the leather is a little wore but nothing is broke or missing on the interior and every button and switch works and it has a new sony bluetooth radio! The body has a few more dings and scrapes than I like
but nothing major. Tires are new. It also should have a new windshield but WY winters on the interstate are brutal on them so I'll wait till spring or maybe Santa will get one for me. So time will tell but I think it will be a good commuter for a few years or more. My maiden voyage to work was our first snow storm! Take care all!

View attachment 582481 View attachment 582482
Solid cars, those engines will generally run forever as long as you do proper maintenance. The engine mounts are things I'd check, those tend to go out on you... Had an 04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G, loved that car.... final dyno sheet was about 400hp out of a V6...

Honestly, it's a reliable car with millions of donor cars to scavenge from (W-Body) so aside from the internal body panels, almost every piece of mechanical garbage can be stolen off these cars:

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Solid cars, those engines will generally run forever as long as you do proper maintenance. The engine mounts are things I'd check, those tend to go out on you... Had an 04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G, loved that car.... final dyno sheet was about 400hp out of a V6...

Honestly, it's a reliable car with millions of donor cars to scavenge from (W-Body) so aside from the internal body panels, almost every piece of mechanical garbage can be stolen off these cars:
Nice! Yeah I had a 97 3.8 that started knocking at 298k! I'll check the motor mounts.
Hard pass for me
The chrysler? grand prix ? or both LOL

Nice! Yeah I had a 97 3.8 that started knocking at 298k! I'll check the motor mounts.

The chrysler? grand prix ? or both LOL
The 200. What GP was being talked about? I had three late 90s GTPs back in the day. While I have no desire to have one again, I can't say I have anything bad to say about them.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
The 200. What GP was being talked about? I had three late 90s GTPs back in the day. While I have no desire to have one again, I can't say I have anything bad to say about them.
Oh good! My feelings aren't hurt then!šŸ˜‚ A few posts ago(23) I mentioned I had passed on the 200 and got a grand prix instead!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.