SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Thoughts on the JLT Intake?

546 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Dextar
I just sent out my TB to Fastman to have him port that and I was thinking about replacing the intake with the JLT. I already have the HC lower plus the bumper portion installed but I was thinking of getting the JLT to smooth out the airflow since the stock pipe has the accordion portion. Eventually I was hoping to pick up the Redeye Charger hood with the ram air so the stock box would eventually need to be upgraded anyway.

I have no interest in doing the LMI since I do drive this car for three seasons.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,789 Posts
I added the Hellcat intake box on my 3x 392's and then had the Mopar open intake (from the factory) on my last Daytona 392.

Didn't really notice a sound difference and the intake temps were way higher/hotter on the Daytona.

I'd skip it

· Registered
2015 Granite M6 (ABN)(LRS)
72 Posts
I like mine, I got the bag for the filter for added peace of mind (Not sure if it 100% works, but I try not to drive in super shit weather) I've yet to get it tuned, but enjoy the sound and look. I did add some thin adhesive foam around the plastic window around the vent too, again, probably overkill, but oh well.

Reactions: Dextar

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added the Hellcat intake box on my 3x 392's and then had the Mopar open intake (from the factory) on my last Daytona 392.

Didn't really notice a sound difference and the intake temps were way higher/hotter on the Daytona.

I'd skip it
I know, I bought your lower from your last car haha. I've noticed the AIT is great until you start to do some runs then it heat soaks. I had looked at the one that comes with the Daytona and it's different than the JLT. It doesn't seal to the hood as well as the JLT does plus it still has that silly accordion tube connecting it.

My thoughts are selling the K&N filter + hellcat lower but keeping the tube and the grill piece and getting the JLT. I spoke with Jay about it and he said he'd need some datalogs to see if there is anything that needs to be tuned up once I get it done. My guess would be if he didn't need datalogs there wouldn't be an improvement.

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 21, and I don’t see where there is an advantage over the factory one i have? Am I wrong?
You have a HC so it's a bit different but from what I know it's better air flow, you can hear the SC whine a lot better, and it growls louder. I'd have one if I had a HC just to hear that whine and to smooth out the airflow.

· DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,252 Posts
I just sent out my TB to Fastman to have him port that and I was thinking about replacing the intake with the JLT. I already have the HC lower plus the bumper portion installed but I was thinking of getting the JLT to smooth out the airflow since the stock pipe has the accordion portion. Eventually I was hoping to pick up the Redeye Charger hood with the ram air so the stock box would eventually need to be upgraded anyway.

I have no interest in doing the LMI since I do drive this car for three seasons.

Didn't see much change on the JLT site between 2015-2020 intakes vs 2021-2023 intakes.

· Registered
2015 Granite M6 (ABN)(LRS)
72 Posts

Didn't see much change on the JLT site between 2015-2020 intakes vs 2021-2023 intakes.

I believe he means JLT did a redesign of the intake system as a whole across all years.

I could be wrong tho

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I don't like about their "adapter" for the tube though, is that it's just a thin piece of foam with adhesive on the back. It can't be very supportive.
Yeah I saw that. I was thinking about a 3d printed piece with some built in clips to hold it to the outside of the JLT.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
One thing I don't like about their "adapter" for the tube though, is that it's just a thin piece of foam with adhesive on the back. It can't be very supportive.
Tube holds in just fine. That adhesive backed foam is super sticky and not going anywhere. Zero concerns with that portion of the box. The one negative to the JLT IMHO is the rain shield solution for the earlier cars that have the heat extraction vents. I didn't like that it basically completely blocks that vent. I modified an AFE rain shield for my JLT which allowed that vent to stay open and still divert rain water from the filter. Others use a sock.

Again, IMHO, their isn't much performance benefit to the intake. Maybe their is more with an aftermarket TB though. The real benefit on the earlier cars is the increased SC sound due to the open filter.

- edit - Just realized this was in the charger section. My feedback is based off the challenger platform. I'd assume the tube design is the same and the "benefit" of increased sound should be the same. But the rain concerns is probably different.

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,789 Posts
- edit - Just realized this was in the charger section. My feedback is based off the challenger platform. I'd assume the tube design is the same and the "benefit" of increased sound should be the same. But the rain concerns is probably different.
The tube is actually different on the Charger. It's much longer and a HUGE PITA to install/remove versus the Challenger tube.
The stock air box provides stability/holds up the back of the tube (along with a push pin further up the tube)....so I'm not sure if the foam is supportive enough, if that makes sense. I'm sure it works though....but it seems like a huge afterthought IMO, on their part

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tube is actually different on the Charger. It's much longer and a HUGE PITA to install/remove versus the Challenger tube.
The stock air box provides stability/holds up the back of the tube (along with a push pin further up the tube)....so I'm not sure if the foam is supportive enough, if that makes sense. I'm sure it works though....but it seems like a huge afterthought IMO, on their part
That's why I was thinking if you had a 3D printed part it could work really well. I'll have to dabble when I get mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts