SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow Hellcat Enthusiasts,

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat 6M with about 2,000 miles. When making a sharp turn at a very low speed, like turning left or right at a stop sign or turning into a parking space, I hear a distinct "tick, tick, tick" which is coming from the front wheels.

The ticking sound and frequency is not unlike putting a playing card into a spoke of a bicycle.

I have checked the tires, looked for lodged sticks or debris, had a friend walk next trying to identify the exact position of the wheels when the "tick" occurs, and nothing has resulted in a better understanding of the source.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas? Any thoughts or insights will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
ernestfellow in Atlanta

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,721 Posts
2 piece rotor. Bolts on the rotor may need retorqued. I think it was like 78 inch lbs. Maybe someone else will chime in. If not take it to dealer and they should know

·
Browncoats Unite
Challenger SRT Redeye
1,518 Posts

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat 6M with about 2,000 miles. When making a sharp turn at a very low speed, like turning left or right at a stop sign or turning into a parking space, I hear a distinct "tick, tick, tick" which is coming from the front wheels.

The ticking sound and frequency is not unlike putting a playing card into a spoke of a bicycle.

I have checked the tires, looked for lodged sticks or debris, had a friend walk next trying to identify the exact position of the wheels when the "tick" occurs, and nothing has resulted in a better understanding of the source.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas? Any thoughts or insights will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
ernestfellow in Atlanta
Welcome to the chatty board. Do a search of "ticking sound". You will find a few threads about brake rotors.

·
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,014 Posts
Yup, front rotors. Normal.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
973 Posts
ALWAYS do a search before posting a new thread, this is an often discussed topic.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for responding! Your knowledge just saved me a lot of time.

And, to Bandit's point, I will search the forum for previous threads more diligently next time. :)

·
NYS President
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts

Thanks so much,
ernestfellow in Atlanta
I have seen posts about this also. lots of Good info. Two piece rotor is spot on too. Great posts everyone

·
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts

Thanks so much,
ernestfellow in Atlanta
Had the same issue. When i rotated the tires and retorqued the wheels the tick went away.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
3,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

known condition with front 2-piece rotors

lots of posts on this topic. Use the search function and you'll be able to find it and a whole lot more!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
949 Posts
Had a kinda same thing and investigated and was told a Hemi tick. A bit of shine for me and it went away. For me,, welcome to the Hemi tick. 1st hemi for me. Like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts