SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Time to mod finally...going E85 and need advice!

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  b00sted 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I know this has probably been discussed hundreds of times...tried the search function and didn't find a good summary of info on it.

So I want to convert to E85 with full supporting mods but maintain a safe reserved tune. Don't want to be blowing anything up.

I don't really have a HP goal in mind...just convert to E85 and see where I end up.

So with that said here are some questions.

I'll probably go to Tim Barth for tuning, seems he's the most reliable person out there for remote and safe tunes and the most popular for a reason. Or am I wrong on that?

Parts list:
What pulley will I need? Suggestions?
Bigger injectors of course. What will I need?
Boost a pump or dual fuel pump setup?
Cracked PCM of course for tuning. Best source for that? I'll also need a hand held or mounted tuning device obviously, best one out there?

I think that covers it for parts? Pulley/PCM/Tune/tuning device/Injectors/Fuel Pump

Am I missing anything?

And finally I'd LOVE to have a flex fuel tune. I read a while back tuners where working on that but not sure if one's available or functional yet or not? In the event I can't find E85 anywhere it'd be nice to run it super low and fill up on premium and have the PCM do the rest of the work. Ran into this issue on my last car...Dad was driving it and couldn't find E85 so filled up on premium gas...shortly after the rod went through the engine block and out of the oil pan....ugh. lol Of course the hand held Diablo tuner was in the trunk and could have flashed the premium gas tune to it beforehand but he didn't know. lol

See less See more
Reactions: Killer Kat
#2 ·
I am going to be going with a flex fuel tune from Dusterhoff eventually.
In preparation I went with FiC 1200 injectors.
I am looking into a dual pump system as the bap was not recommended.
I am going to use the ATI 10% lower pulley.

#3 ·
Is he the only one that offers flex tunes? Does he have a website?

#4 ·
I don't believe he is the only one offering a flex tune.
"Dusterhoff Tuning – Dusterhoff Tuning" Dusterhoff Tuning

Hopefully this helps.

#14 ·
I would strongly recommend the FIC 1200's over the ID1300x2's mostly because of the price. Both will get the job done, but the FICs are much more affordable so that's money that can be used for other mods.

Reactions: CatDaddyB5
#6 · (Edited)
Looking at Tim Barth performance packages. Either the 800hp or 900 hp package. Seems the 800hp+ with E85 options might be the best bang for the buck but I notice when you select the E85 parts option it doesn't list what they are. Ends up being a little over 6k and states you can get 850hp....2k less than their 900hp option.

Anyone with experience with these packages?

One big downfall is I don't see any flextune options which would make it suck if I got caught not being able to fill up with E85 anywhere. Risking the engine at that point.

#7 ·
Give SRT Autoworks a peek. They churn out these packages left and right. I don't have social media but I think they have a pretty active Instagram page if you want to see some of their work.

I have the package on my car and love it. I would however really like a flex tune one day. I run my car mostly on the e54 tune since e85 isn't always e85 around here. The station close to me is only 54 and the 85 station (that has tested quite a bit lower a few times) is about 25 minutes away. Wife isn't fond of having drums in the garage filled with e85 so im stuck. lol
My car made 939 to the wheels on e85 with an IAT of 140 degrees... got to love Arizona August dyno pulls. haha
Other than not having a flex tune the car is perfect. It drives better than stock and it was my daily last summer. Im planning on ported snout, TB and a killer chiller package but honestly the car is so nasty on the street right now I cant imagine more. My car did a 5.49 60-130 on the e54 tune and it has more in it. I think you'd be a happy camper for sure.

#8 ·
Give SRT Autoworks a peek. They churn out these packages left and right. I don't have social media but I think they have a pretty active Instagram page if you want to see some of their work.

I have the package on my car and love it. I would however really like a flex tune one day. I run my car mostly on the e54 tune since e85 isn't always e85 around here. The station close to me is only 54 and the 85 station (that has tested quite a bit lower a few times) is about 25 minutes away. Wife isn't fond of having drums in the garage filled with e85 so im stuck. lol
My car made 939 to the wheels on e85 with an IAT of 140 degrees... got to love Arizona August dyno pulls. haha
Other than not having a flex tune the car is perfect. It drives better than stock and it was my daily last summer. Im planning on ported snout, TB and a killer chiller package but honestly the car is so nasty on the street right now I cant imagine more. My car did a 5.49 60-130 on the e54 tune and it has more in it. I think you'd be a happy camper for sure.
Interesting. I have a station 2 blocks from my house that is full E85 in the summer but dips to E75 winter...but I don't drive it in the winter. lol So did Tim Barth give you two tunes? One for E85 and one for E54? Kind of a custom E54 tune? Any extra cost in that?

Also which package exactly do you have? Parts list and price would be awesome. Feel free to PM me.

My only main concern is longer trips where E85 might be hard to find in Northern MN. Overall I could live without a flex tune though. We have other cars we can take on long trips but sometimes it's nice to take the Hellcat. lol

#9 ·
AFAIK everything aside from Satera Tuning uses inferred logic...

I use Dusterhoff.

Barth now tunes with HPT as well as Diablo.

I believe OST is doing flex now as well in-house/remote.

Tuning wise you can't go wrong with these 4 guys. There are a few others as well. Josh comes to mind. Dunno if HHP does flex in house or not.

Do the dual pump setup.
Do 1200/1300 injectors.
A 2.85 or 2.79 will allow max safe power depending on fuel quality on pump gas.
Your PCM will depend on if you go HPT or Diablo so Your tuner will specify this.
180 stat isn't a bad idea. Usually included in these packages anyways.
Definitely recommend transmission tuning if automatic.

#10 ·
Was thinking Barth but after looking at Dusterhoff the price of the top stage 4 package is pretty damn appealing and quite frankly way cheaper. On top of that it's a flex tune. Hmmmm

Reactions: moparjim
#15 ·
Both are very good, I used Curt Dusterhoff for my tuning. My car made 892whp and I drove it for over 3 years without any issues.

Reactions: 2fast4u
#12 ·
E85 isn't really hard to find. It's just low quality, poorly regulated gas. So, be sure to buy a test kit and test it every single time before you fill it up. E85 in and of itself can be irregular, but it's more often how the station stores it and if the tanks leak or are sealed properly. E85 draws moisture out of the air and causes water to condense in the gas station fuel tank (or your gas tank if it's left for more than a few days undrained). So, you have to watch out for water deposits and E85 concentration. The two stations near me that have it, I'd never use it in any of my cars (grocery getter or otherwise). They never test consistently and one of them routinely has to shut down the pump at least 2x per month for maintenance to remove the water buildup.

In my high performance cars that were E85 converted, I only ever ordered drums from racing suppliers after I blew 2 sets of plugs in a week due to bad E85 that I got AT THE RACE TRACK.

#13 ·
I am getting rid of my Charger Hellcat and have some parts for sale that will suit your build. See the list below!

ARH catless mid pipes (new)
Griptec coated Litens 2.85” pulley kit (new)
FI blower spacer/blanket kit (new)
HPTuners 2018+ Smart Access Cable (new)
crank pin kit with 2 pins and Demon crank bolt (new)
Denso IKH22 spark plugs (new, one step colder than factory, equivalent to NGK LFR7AIX)
spare 2018-2019 PCM for Hellcat/Redeye/Trackhawk A8 trans (used)
ID1050X injectors (used for approx 5000-6000mi)
P4D DIRS brace (used for 47 days, 1286mi)

I will take $3000 shipped for everything! Can ship it out today or tomorrow if payment is done today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I went Barth for my setup. 2.85 upper, 1300s, BAP, Intake, FLEXXXX tune... 887whp. #worthit

My signature currently reflects the 93oct tune I had it in last fall. I'm waiting for this hellish Chicago summer to end before hitting the track and setting a new PB. :)

#18 ·
Qwiksilver
i went in to this upgrade dumb and came out well educated.
for what it’s worth
no matter what fuels you run there are some facts that you need to be aware of.
1 The old saying that there’s no substitute for cubic inches is only true to a certain point.
for instance the factoru crank is the strongest crank you can get. No questions no doubt. That was one I really had issues with. But Dusteroff down to the lead engine builder for HHP is in total agreement.
2 The stock pistons and rods are the weak link in these engines. Again most knowledgeable people concur.
I just bought the best bullet proof pistons and rods I could buy.
the 426 was on my mind but I’m giving up a bad ass crank to get the stroker.
a 362 built and tuned by the right guys is fricking AWESOME!!!
it’s absolutely reliable at a hp threshold that will send you screaming help me to mama.
Remember when you put a 10 over on the bottom and a 275 on the top you are approaching what the old blower on a Redeye will take. Camshaft on the Redeye was not deemed needed.
I agree after listening to the builders thoughts on that.
heads need to be solid. The proper injectors recommendation from your builder is a must. Get him what he is comfortable with.
This is where opinions matter. CAI‘S do matter when you are screaming a huffer. Again listen to your builder.
buy the best you can afford. God knows I could have saved money, even though I was givin that option a few times, I don’t want to se the inside of the mother until time to freshen it up.
get ready to buy 17” or better yet the 15” conversion so you can run the sticky street slicks. I tried the super wide street tires and they will just get you into trouble. Rear carrier lock outs, upper and lower rear control arms, aftermarket driveshaft, inter chiller spacer plate and blanket for those hot days on the street.
After you get thru this find a true E85fuel source and test every drop that you put thru your new baby. I buy nothing but E85R race fuel even though I’m allowed to be as low as E70 with a little care.
I know I’m rambling but when you start down this hp rabbit hole you open a need quiet often to keep it competitive
Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!

#19 ·

"3) Satera Tuning TRUE Flex Fuel - we use an ethanol content gauge that feeds into the factory PCM. Based on this reading the tune then adjusts fuel, spark, torque, and boost. Because our sensor is installed at the rail, it is 100% accurate based on what the actual content is going into your injectors. We are also the only system that has a boost bleed safety built in just in case ethanol is too low."

#20 ·
My post is so old above. I had nothing but problems with my Barth 'flex' tune. I believe hes changed to hptuners since but I went to Satera and Jeremy had me ironed out QUICK!

Reactions: rayzazoo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.