SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my 4th oil change at 15k miles, had tires rotated per the norm. In and out in about an hour and a half. With that said, 2 things I learned today shocked me a bit. First , I asked for pricing on the 20x11 Devils rims in Brass Monkey available to the 2020's. Summer rims and winter rims since I daily drive it year round. They quoted me at $1,144 each + tax which is 9.98, basically 10%. Seems pretty steep. (Guess wait till one hits the scrap yard or someone upgrades and sells a "not stolen" set from Ebay Lol)
What really shook me was when I asked for pricing for replacing brake pads they said $2784. Then the supervisor goes, " Yeah, and that's per axle." Seriously $5500 before tax, so over 6k, for brakes and pads. He said the rotors couldn't be reused and they had to be replaced every time. Does this seem wrong to anyone else? I'm hoping they are just way overpricing their service. Thanks guys for the help, love the banter and info!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My thought is if it is that much for these brakes couldn't I just put a new brake kit on for the same money?

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
103 Posts
Just got my 4th oil change at 15k miles, had tires rotated per the norm. In and out in about an hour and a half. With that said, 2 things I learned today shocked me a bit. First , I asked for pricing on the 20x11 Devils rims in Brass Monkey available to the 2020's. Summer rims and winter rims since I daily drive it year round. They quoted me at $1,144 each + tax which is 9.98, basically 10%. Seems pretty steep. (Guess wait till one hits the scrap yard or someone upgrades and sells a "not stolen" set from Ebay Lol)
What really shook me was when I asked for pricing for replacing brake pads they said $2784. Then the supervisor goes, " Yeah, and that's per axle." Seriously $5500 before tax, so over 6k, for brakes and pads. He said the rotors couldn't be reused and they had to be replaced every time. Does this seem wrong to anyone else? I'm hoping they are just way overpricing their service. Thanks guys for the help, love the banter and info!!
Just to be clear, the supervisor claimed once the pads are depleted, the pads and rotors must be replaced?

If so, then I would never return to this dealer because there is no need unless the rotors are defective or the car was heavily tracked (going thru multiple pads).
Many performance cars go thru a few sets of pads before needing new rotors.

Definitely not the first time I've heard this type of aggressive sales pitch.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,526 Posts
Completely false, although this has been mentioned repeatedly over time so im wondering if the parts people are seeing notes from FCA when they look the pads up. Still there is no reason for it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,338 Posts
Wow, that ranks right up there with about the biggest attempted dealer bogus service money grab I've ever seen. Unless you drive like a madman, I would say it is unlikely you need brake pads and no way should you need rotors and this is a typical scumbag dealer trying to rip you off and I wouldn't go anywhere near that place in the future. There's a million threads on brakes here so get educated and don't get burned by these scam artists.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,602 Posts
I too am throwing the B.S. flag on that dealer. Run as far as you can from those crooks. No way you need pads (much less rotors) at 15K.

When the time comes for new pads, do it yourself. Easy to do for hundred(s), not thousands.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So no one believes that the Redeye needs new Rotors with every pad swap? I am not questioning anyone's knowledge. I HAVE NO CLUE!!!! I was truly shocked. I have my normal mechanic looking into this, and I plan to call around to a couple other local dealerships for verification on the matter. To be honest I might directly call FCA, just not sure if there open with the Corona Virus crap going on. Thanks to those who have responded so far. On a side note, I usually brake as much as possible with the trans, very rare that I use the brakes very hard, and I have never road raced or tracked it or done any racing above doing freeway pulls. The dodge dealership kept saying that its because there Brembo's, that is the reason for the expense, and the fact that the rotor is slotted is the reason that it can't be reused. Just wanted to give everyone all the info that I had. Anyone else done pads on there redeye yet??

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called FCA and there answer was "the dealer is our eyes, so we let them make the decision". I said to them "the dealership said it has to be done every single time no matter what because of the brembos". He proceeded to tell me in high performance vehicles that sometimes rotors have to be changed with pads, and that they are a full kit. Definitely sounds like they weren't really looking to get involved. Less then thrilled, though the fella who answered was nice enough. So officially per FCA they might need to have the rotors changed everytime....trust your dealership LOL

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,466 Posts
So no one believes that the Redeye needs new Rotors with every pad swap? I am not questioning anyone's knowledge. I HAVE NO CLUE!!!! I was truly shocked.
Redeye brakes are no different than the HC or the 6 piston big brake kit on the 392s. I had 30k on my HC when I sold it and didnt need rotors, but I had used Z26 pads for the 2nd half (15k) of those miles. My 392 TA had the same brakes, M6, 52k miles, Z26 pads on for about 40+k and did not need rotors or pads when I sold it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,338 Posts
I usually brake as much as possible with the trans, very rare that I use the brakes very hard, and I have never road raced or tracked it or done any racing above doing freeway pulls
So in other words, you drive normally like most people so again, there is no way in hell you need rotors and I doubt you need pads. I removed the pads from my SRT 392 (same brakes as Hellcat) at 16,000 miles and the pads looked almost new to me. The front rotors had only worn from 34.00 to 33.70mm so barely any wear there at all as they are good to 32.00 easily. Maybe dealer sees something with your pads or rotors so post pics if you want, otherwise I'm sticking with a dealer ripoff.

And yes, FCA will normally back the dealer as they are not there to know what is going on so they depend on the dealer to tell them. Still doesn't mean the dealer is right so you have to watch them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,387 Posts
You measure the pads and rotors to determine when to replace. No guessing needed that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kind of unrelated to this situation but do 2 piece rotors warp like your everyday 1 piece? because other than thickness or being warped, rotors don't really go "bad".

(Warping versus uneven deposits, no need to bring that up here because either way the rotor would need replacing)

·
Registered
64 Posts
For comparison purposes, I just bought a full set of brake pads for my car, Powerstop Z26, and they were less than $140.

Reach through your rim and run your fingernail across the rotor. Do you feel some grooves? Is there a significant lip on the outer edge? If not, your rotors are likely fine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My car doesn't need them yet, what they said and maybe I didn't explain it correctly was that the redeye brake job is 2784 per axle because rotors and pads have to be done per there policy. I asked them "dont you offer brake pad replacement ?" And they said "yes, but unfortunately for your car that service includes pads and rotors at the same time for safety reasons". I will try to take pics through the rim at work in the morning, if I have to take the rim off it won't be till the weekend for the pic, with that said they are still good and dont need replaced yet. The inspection report on the checkout sheet with the red/yellow/green from my oil change had fronts at 6/10 in yellow and rears at 8/10 in green and they say replace at 3/10. (Dealership) Thank you all for the info and insight, I plan to daily drive this till I die and getting ripped off along the way definitely hurts the chances of long term plans! Thanks again for everything-TS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts