SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend tires to get better traction for street driving? I have the typical Pirellis, which are fairly new, but they spin really easily, even without a lot of throttle. What about drag radials? Seems like there has to be something better than what I have.

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,430 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
196 Posts
Nitto 555r are some of the best, but likely won't net you 10k miles. I honestly love Firestone Indy 500. They grab hard are very, very cheap. They are great in wet weather. Just can't don't recommend over 168.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
730 Posts
When I attended my Bondurant 3-day racing course last November, they had recently switched all their Hellcats from Goodyear F1 Supercar "G2" model to the new "G3" model (285/35ZR20). In talking with the instructors' and mechanics', they spoke highly of the tire, and said it was superb dry, but only "so-so" in wet conditions. I don't have much comparative experience with different tires on a Hellcat, but I can say that my assigned car handled incredibly well during that class with that tire, and I will consider that tire when the stock Pirelli's on my personal Hellcat need replacing.

Reactions: Marooniac

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nitto Nt05 if you want a non drag tire with exceptional grip.
After looking at the Nitto site the NT05's might be the ticket. (Sorry, bad word choice.) I wouldn't mind drag radials if I could have any confidence in them in the rain; I will have to drive in the rain. That an issue? Also there has been a lot of back and forth elsewhere on the forum about the tire size that can go on the stock rims. 275 is recommended but some have put 305s on with success. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
406 Posts
After looking at the Nitto site the NT05's might be the ticket. (Sorry, bad word choice.) I wouldn't mind drag radials if I could have any confidence in them in the rain; I will have to drive in the rain. That an issue? Also there has been a lot of back and forth elsewhere on the forum about the tire size that can go on the stock rims. 275 is recommended but some have put 305s on with success. Thoughts?
The Tread Width of most 305 tires is 10.5-11.5" The stock wheel is 9.5" wide.

You can barely fit a 305 tire on stock 9.5" wide wheels, but you are still limited to the width of the wheel.

People who have run 275 555R tires then switched to 305 555R tires on the same stock wheel reported virtually no improvement. Waste of money and tire.

For most traction on the street, get Replica 20x11 wheels with 305 555R tires. They are okay in the rain as long as you use common sense.

The 305/35 Toyo R888R is a good sticky alternative if you like to take corners and drive over 150+ I personally love them and they hook almost as good as the 555r from a dig.

If you want to drag race, get the 555R, if you want versatility get the R888R, both are R-compound tires that will give you about 7,500-10,000 miles

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
92 Posts
Does anybody have the Pirelli's 305 / 35ZR20 on the Devil rims?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
277 Posts
NT05's probably won't be that great in the rain. Not enough siping (too much flat rubber). The 555r is a great tire and is good in the rain. I daily drive my car rain or shine. I live in Central Fla and it rains every day this time of year. No problems at all. I used to run them on a mustang when I lived in South Fla and I never had any problems on that car either. I don't know why people say they are so dangerous. You obviously won't get the same, or even proportional, traction that you do in dry conditions. I don't know why anyone would expect them to be. I'd say they are at least as good if not better than the factory all seasons in the rain on my car.

$.02

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
681 Posts
Nt05 aren’t great in the rain. Uber sticky dry. But as mentioned above, the fat tread blocks don’t help. Neither does the tread depth. I can’t remember off hand, but even when brand new, the 05s have just barely more than half the tread depth of sa “normal” new tire.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT 392
213 Posts
Yes, I love my NT05s but go through them in no time at all. Also, as mentioned above, not good in the rain. I am in SoCal so it luckily isn't an issue.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
406 Posts
H
Yes, I love my NT05s but go through them in no time at all. Also, as mentioned above, not good in the rain. I am in SoCal so it luckily isn't an issue.
How are they in quick lane shifts and hard corners? The slight fender gap is the only downside to my current 305s (OCD).

Dry climate here to, want to try them all. I like how the 315 NT05s match the diameter of the stock tires up front.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT 392
213 Posts
H

How are they in quick lane shifts and hard corners? The slight fender gap is the only downside to my current 305s (OCD).

Dry climate here to, want to try them all. I like how the 315 NT05s match the diameter of the stock tires up front.
Incredible, I autocross / canyon run with them on so I have a ton of confidence on their cornering. Quick shifts too they grip so much better than stock.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
406 Posts
No, the normal version. R compound is for drag racing as they don't have sidewalls. If you want corner grip, get normal; straight line grip is R compound.
Gotcha. I currently have the R888R which are road course R compounds. They hook great in a straight line and hard corners. They don't come in 315 however, may try the Pirelli Corsa next, which is another R compound road coarse tire, and offered in 315.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
662 Posts
I just got my Nitto 555r's in 305 on the other day to replace the stock all seasons. Holy.Crap. what a difference. The car is what it should be now and it was a night/day difference. A 30 mph stomp before would result in a smoke show. Now it's a neck snap instead. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts