SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be ditching my stock Pirelli all season's that came on the car for some new summer tires (mich pilot 4's) in the next few weeks and for some reason I find myself sick over the possible risk of wheel damage on my brand new factory black satin wheels that the tire shop kid can do. I dont even have 1500 miles on them yet.

It just always seems they make some kind of mark no matter what, whether they chip one, or they get it with their tools. Do I just have bad luck on my past cars (tried probably 4 different shops) or am I not the only one who has this happen every time?

I guess I am looking for someone to inspire with me confidence and say they wont damage it, because these Pirelli's suck for grip. HaHa

I mean I don't want to be one of those guys that walks in and is a prick, but at the same time do you think its crazy to ask the manager to do it or something so it isn't some 16 year old?

·
Registered
In The Market
1,253 Posts
I have a trusted shop. i still worry and talk with the shop lead prior tp install pointing out “no existing damage.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,532 Posts
1000000% same page. Had to plug a tire the day I brought it home and have been living in fear ever since (1200 miles).
The thought of some kid banging my wheels all around on a machine has me paralyzed and so I've done nothing yet lol. Called the dealer and they said they didnt feel confident doing it. So reassuring...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
I suppose that if you wanted to be diplomatic about it you could just ask for the manager and ask him to kindly give the job to his best guy due to your concerns. Tell him you'll tip his guy for a (scratch free) job well done. After that just sit there and birddog the tire tech to ensure he doesn't scratch up the first wheel because if he scratches the first wheel you can rest assure that he will scratch the rest of them.

I personally use a small family owned shop and they take care of my wheels but I understand your concern. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am going to be ditching my stock Pirelli all season's that came on the car for some new summer tires (mich pilot 4's) in the next few weeks and for some reason I find myself sick over the possible risk of wheel damage on my brand new factory black satin wheels that the tire shop kid can do. I dont even have 1500 miles on them yet.

It just always seems they make some kind of mark no matter what, whether they chip one, or they get it with their tools. Do I just have bad luck on my past cars (tried probably 4 different shops) or am I not the only one who has this happen every time?

I guess I am looking for someone to inspire with me confidence and say they wont damage it, because these Pirelli's suck for grip. HaHa

I mean I don't want to be one of those guys that walks in and is a prick, but at the same time do you think its crazy to ask the manager to do it or something so it isn't some 16 year old?
Went to Discount tire......Shops are clean newer equipment ...When I made appointment I said please do not get me with a new guy , rims are expensive and mgr said no problem and when I got them put on it was a guy in his upper 20's he knew what he was doing was extra careful and a hellcat / hot rod fan in general . I've gotten several sets of tires with them for various vehicles no problems

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,532 Posts
I suppose that if you wanted to be diplomatic about it you could just ask for the manager and ask him to kindly give the job to his best guy due to your concerns. Tell him you'll tip his guy for a (scratch free) job well done. After that just sit there and birddog the tire tech to ensure he doesn't scratch up the first wheel because if he scratches the first wheel you can rest assure that he will scratch the rest of them.

I personally use a small family owned shop and they take care of my wheels but I understand your concern. Good luck.
That is a really good approach. I think I'll try that.

Reactions: Force_Recon

·
Registered
2021 Hellrasin Hellcat
90 Posts
Not exactly the same but had it happen on my RT, perfect rims before the shop got ahold of them and I watched it happen through a giant pane of glass. New guy never used the tire machine before and left a giant mark. I was given the choice to have it painted or get the tire for free. I took the tire as I didn't want them touching it anymore and then painted it myself. You can still tell if you look close but just walking by no one notices but me

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,371 Posts
I have always had very good treatment from the shops recommended by TireRack. I've used two shops in my area over the past twenty-five years.... No dings and proper balancing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
No dings and proper balancing.
If they don't have a Hunter Road Force machine, and someone who knows how to use it, keep looking.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I have never found a shop that I don’t have to watch and be a bit paranoid. There is one shop near me that is about 99%. Meaning rarely ever have a new blemish or scratch added to my cat. Having said that, no one but me or one of us car nuts would notice the nick/blemish anyway. If you don’t get a drag radial, you won’t get traction. I daily mine. Needs a set of rears about every 3,000 miles or so! But I do drive it.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
159 Posts
Omg!! This is real! I hate doing this so much. If I need tires on any of my vehicles I take them off myself & haul them to tire store in my truck!! You can't trust too many of those guys.
Same here... I always haul my wheels and tires to the shop. I have 335’s on the rear of the Viper and usually the mechanic comes back and says Woah, what are these going on? Plus, I always ask the guy at the counter if they can have an experienced guy do it and then tip the guy before hand.

Not everyone is bad...a lot of these guys are probably even more careful than say mounting tires on a Ford Windstar.

Reactions: GdBye and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
Omg!! This is real! I hate doing this so much. If I need tires on any of my vehicles I take them off myself & haul them to tire store in my truck!! You can't trust too many of those guys.
I hate it so much that not only do I take the wheels off myself, I also dismount, mount, and balance, the tires myself.
Then I can blame myself if something gets screwed up.

Reactions: thetalonguyh

·
Registered
423 Posts
At least locally the mobile tire mount and balance people do a good job. They come to your house and I get to watch. Cost about 50% more than a discount tire type place but also more convenient.

·
Registered
423 Posts

For the life of me I can't find the guys card I used but it's this company. I was recommended to them from my local Viper club chapter when I did my Forgestar F14s. He does a lot of exotics so hellcats should be a breeze. If I locate the card I'll post it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
909 Posts

You should be concerned! I just went through this. After talking to all the shops in town I decided on one that told me three times they would do a stellar job and if they didn't they'd make it right. Well, they scuffed all four around the bead and gouged a spoke on one of them. They made it right, and paid for a used rim but not after basically calling me a liar and making me feel like crap! A real [email protected]$ show. Next time I'll pack them 180 miles like I did my first set to a High end shop!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to say Discount Tires was professional and took great care of the car and wheels. My bad, bring black wheel weights. Satin black Variants with natural finish weights. Not their fault, my oversight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts