SRT Hellcat Forum banner

To all that don’t drain their oil cooler

58K views 242 replies 64 participants last post by  mopar4life84 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is what you are missing. 12 or more ounces or so I would say. This is after an hour drain time.
Cup Cup Drinkware Tableware Glass

See less See more
#2 ·
And this is why you don’t use a glass measuring cup to measure oil. Oily glass and rubber gloves=bad mix. Luckily I had just emptied it. This is after I swept the garage. Car was outside. Glass exploded 20 feet. When Pyrex blows it is never good. Wife left Pyrex rectangular dish on hot stove once. Exploded all over two rooms.
Concrete Beige Cement

#10 ·
And this is why you don’t use a glass measuring cup to measure oil. Oily glass and rubber gloves=bad mix. Luckily I had just emptied it. This is after I swept the garage. Car was outside. Glass exploded 20 feet. When Pyrex blows it is never good. Wife left Pyrex rectangular dish on hot stove once. Exploded all over two rooms.
View attachment 518037
Tempered glass (Pyrex and your side/back automobile windows) are actually under pressure which is why it’s 6-8 times stronger than annealed glass (plate glass or “regular” glass). But when it breaks it explodes!

#3 ·
Thanks for posting this I have always wondered. So little less than half quart. Wonder what affects this would have over years of oil changes. I know for sure the dodge place I used to take it had no idea about the cooler drain. Started taking to local lube place and will have them drain it next time.

#13 ·
Not sure which order you guys are using to drain but I start with draining the oil pan, then removing the filter,
and lastly the cooler . Very little comes out - a couple ounces at most no where near whats been posted here.
In fact I probably won't drain the cooler any more and not have to remove all those pins and covers
There is way more old oil left in the lifters / oil galleries / oil pump/ etc.

#19 ·
I remove drain plug then as it slows I remove the filter still with the drain plug off then I drain the oil cooler into a smaller container. I let all three drain for an hour or more while I grab lunch. The results of the cooler drain are in that cup. Not sure how you get less but maybe letting Main plug drain alone longer does lessen amount? I don’t know but I like to get as much as possible out.

#24 ·
I

can’t believe dodge or aftermarket hasn’t come up with an easy access door solution to get at the oil cooler drain. Where’s my “take my money” meme when I need it?!?!
Audio equipment

Auto part Wheel

#21 ·
I got a couple of tablespoons out of that cooler. Can't matter. Tell ya what, next time I'll drain the crankcase and measure that amount. I'll do it in a couple of weeks. I need to use about another 500 miles and do some road course laps using my initial 500 mile change, now that I have a whole 1000 miles on her.

#26 ·
I can’t believe that’s all you get? I get a couple of tablespoons in about 2 seconds when it starts to run and it just keeps on coming for a while before there is even a break in the stream. Wonder if yours is clogged?
Oh yes I am worried. It came with clogged arteries? Can’t be that big of a deal. I will measure all the stuff next time. Have to go do some magic with it at the track this week. I’ll change it in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: rift33
#27 ·
I drained my cooler last and got hardly a drop out of it either.

Reactions: rift33
#29 ·
Crazy variance between posters(?) I wonder what gives....

I have my 1st oil change (along with getting all my crate goodies installed next Friday). I will ask the dealership to drain the oil cooler as part of the service. I am thinking they wont be waiting an hour though, lol.

#30 ·
Crazy variance between posters(?) I wonder what gives....

I have my 1st oil change (along with getting all my crate goodies installed next Friday). I will ask the dealership to drain the oil cooler as part of the service. I am thinking they wont be waiting an hour though, lol.
The way dealers change your oil is like a too quick piss. You will have wet spotted pants for sure. Not for me.

#36 ·
I do all of my oil changes. 12-14 ounces each time from oil cooler on the hellcat. 12 ounces on the first oil change in demon. It only takes a couple of minutes to drop the shield. Well worth the little bit of time spent.

#40 ·
I would assume that my lazy dealer has not ever changed it. But doesn't this oil get circulated throughout your engine?

It's not the same 1/2 quart that's sitting in there all times is it?

From a purely engineering and oil analysis perspective though there are 1000's of tests out there that show synthetic oils holding up with almost immeasurable degradation for 50k+ miles...

#42 ·
No what I am saying is it is not a stagnant 1/2 quart of oil that stays still in the oil cooler.... the oil is circulated. Every time you shut the car off the 1/2 quart sitting in the oil cooler is a different 1/2 quart. Therefore it's not like that oil never gets changed over the life cycle of the vehicle.

#45 ·
Here is what you are missing. 12 or more ounces or so I would say. This is after an hour drain time.
View attachment 518035
I’ve been doing all of the hellcats the same way definitely drain
View attachment 518035
View attachment 518035

#49 ·
Mashing the gas pedal to the floor and holding it there while you press the brake and hit the start button will eliminate a "dry start" as you put it. Oil pressure without the engine running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mashing the gas pedal to the floor and holding it there while you press the brake and hit the start button will eliminate a "dry start" as you put it. Oil pressure without the engine running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That works but probably overkill. The synthetic is so good I bet parts still have a protective layer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.