SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me explain myself here. I know exactly what I plan to have done to the car but I am questioning conflicting information about when to do it. See my HC was built this week and believe or not will be delivered to the dealer next week and I am picking up the following Monday. I instructed the dealer not to touch it when it comes off the truck and leave everything as is until I get there. I had planned to take it straight to the detail shop and have the clear bra and coating done as they correct anything on the paint If need from the factory. One said bring it right in the other said to detail it but wait through the winter for the paint to cure and have the coating and clear bra done in the spring. Has every one waited who has done this or have some had it done right after delivery on a car that did not sit months to be delivered?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts
I did my clear bra about one month from build date... guess I won't know if my timing was right till I take the bra off in 5 years or so?
I had the same thought as I know years ago paint shops told you to not wax for sometime. I noticed the last body work I had done the shop had wax on the car when it was delivered so who knows?

I would say hold off but when I do that my luck is not so good. I ordered a new aluminum Apple Macbook and a clear hard case. The mac arrived one day before the case and an electronic keyboard fell on it that 1st night and put a dent in the top.
I purchased a $80 case for my new iPhone, as I was taking the phone out of the box somehow I hit a lamp with it and put a dent before I could put the case on.

My Hellcat got a rock chip in the windshield on the way home from the dealer so if your luck is like mine....

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no. One thing for sure is always have a case ready before you have the iPhone MacBook.
Trust me I have the same concerns my dealer is only 6-7 miles from where I live detail shop about another 10-15 I will go slow and only side streets. I have a product in mind for the windshield too. Bray or Clearplex. I plan to protect the cat as much as humanly possible but still drive it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts
I live in Charlotte. That was our 1 day of snow for the year. Plus, its not a submarine.
Im from Rock Hill,SC ( 20 min south of you) but moved just a bit more tropical about 12 years ago. Thought you were from up north like all the folks talking about putting the cat to sleep for the winter... Your almost have all year summer tire weather:).

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
968 Posts
Wait a month before applying a clear bra or coating of any sort. The paint needs to release chemicals naturally. I run a body shop so I know a thing or two about this.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,514 Posts
Im from Rock Hill,SC ( 20 min south of you) but moved just a bit more tropical about 12 years ago. Thought you were from up north like all the folks talking about putting the cat to sleep for the winter... Your almost have all year summer tire weather:).
No hibernating for me. Hellcats and Harleys all year long

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
103 Posts
Wait a month before applying a clear bra or coating of any sort. The paint needs to release chemicals naturally. I run a body shop so I know a thing or two about this.
That advice is accurate for refinish materials... however factory OEM paint is thermocured (baked) at a much higher temperature than a body shop can do since there are no other materials on the body to be concerned about (e.g. wiring harnesses, rubber/plastic/vinyl parts, etc.).

There is no need to wait even one day after delivery to do clear bra/coating/etc. on a factory fresh vehicle.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
968 Posts
Factory OEM paint is provided by paint manufacturers like Axalta (formerly Dupont), PPG, Spies Hecker etc... It is the paint manufacturers who set up these rules. It still takes times for the agents in the paint to release. The temperature at which the paint is cured is about the same at a body shop vs manufacturing plant. If you apply more heat than is suggested by the paint manufacturer you can have a solvent pop issue.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts
Factory OEM paint is provided by paint manufacturers like Axalta (formerly Dupont), PPG, Spies Hecker etc... It is the paint manufacturers who set up these rules. It still takes times for the agents in the paint to release. The temperature at which the paint is cured is about the same at a body shop vs manufacturing plant. If you apply more heat than is suggested by the paint manufacturer you can have a solvent pop issue.
I did a quick Goggle search of some of those brands as see some clear coat specs say no wax till 120 days...
I 3M'd and waxed mine at exactly 7 weeks from build date.. Should have gone a bit longer I guess?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
968 Posts
I did a quick Goggle search of some of those brands as see some clear coat specs say no wax till 120 days...
I 3M'd and waxed mine at exactly 7 weeks from build date.. Should have gone a bit longer I guess?
It really depends on exactly what brand of paint Dodge uses and the grade of paint they used. 7 weeks from the build date should be plenty of time though. Anything over 30 days and you are good.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is good info. So for me it means waiting for spring unless I'm lucky enough not to have snow in the next 30 days. Won't drive it in salted roads. I will however be taking the car straight from the dealer to the detail shop. So what should I have them do just have them polish and finish with glaze and no sealer until spring? I plan on keeping it graged and with a cover on through winter.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts
This is good info. So for me it means waiting for spring unless I'm lucky enough not to have snow in the next 30 days. Won't drive it in salted roads. I will however be taking the car straight from the dealer to the detail shop. So what should I have them do just have them polish and finish with glaze and no sealer until spring? I plan on keeping it graged and with a cover on through winter.
Are you storing your car for winter? If It is your 2nd car and you will not be driving it the winter I would do nothing but wash it as so much prep needs to be done just prior to a top coat or bra for that matter. IMO. anything you do now will need to be redone in the spring.
Just don't get any rock chips and you will be fine...Don't forget about rock guards and or clear bra in that area behind the wheel as these cars require something in that area, It was blue tape for me behind the wheels and on the front prior to my clear bra and rock guards.
However after all of that a tire guy chips my rim!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you storing your car for winter? If It is your 2nd car and you will not be driving it the winter I would do nothing but wash it as so much prep needs to be done just prior to a top coat or bra for that matter. IMO. anything you do now will need to be redone in the spring.
Just don't get any rock chips and you will be fine...Don't forget about rock guards and or clear bra in that area behind the wheel as these cars require something in that area, It was blue tape for me behind the wheels and on the front prior to my clear bra and rock guards.
However after all of that a tire guy chips my rim!
Thanks soundman. Yes it will get stored for that very reason don't want stone chips of anykind. I have the mopar rock guards and that will get out on with different brake pads when I pick her up next week. As for the rest, It all depends on what the weather does it end of Nov if there is now snow then possible I will do the paint coating and clear bra. I just want to give it the 30 plus days just to be safe. Sorry to hear about the rim! Have to really know the shop doing it has the right machine and experience how to use it to not chip or mar the surface. There are a lot of wheel repair people these days that know how to fix them so you can't tell they have been repaired.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
103 Posts
Factory OEM paint is provided by paint manufacturers like Axalta (formerly Dupont), PPG, Spies Hecker etc...
Correct. However, the OEM supplied paint systems have a different chemistry than refinish materials; you cannot equate what is published about body shop paint and the facts surrounding factory applied paint.

It is the paint manufacturers who set up these rules. It still takes times for the agents in the paint to release. The temperature at which the paint is cured is about the same at a body shop vs manufacturing plant. If you apply more heat than is suggested by the paint manufacturer you can have a solvent pop issue.
That is not what I have been told by folks who work with the OEM suppliers and are fully aware of the parameters for application and curing. In fact, a great many manufacturers apply paint protection film to key areas of their vehicles within hours of the paint having been thermo-cured and have zero problems as a result. Dealers and car care professionals routinely apply paint protection products to new vehicles prior to or immediately following delivery without incident.

I have no motivation to mislead anyone when it comes to this; as a professional protective coating installer I would be liable for repairing any damage resulting from the coating being applied to an uncured finish.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
573 Posts
Correct. However, the OEM supplied paint systems have a different chemistry than refinish materials; you cannot equate what is published about body shop paint and the facts surrounding factory applied paint.

That is not what I have been told by folks who work with the OEM suppliers and are fully aware of the parameters for application and curing. In fact, a great many manufacturers apply paint protection film to key areas of their vehicles within hours of the paint having been thermo-cured and have zero problems as a result. Dealers and car care professionals routinely apply paint protection products to new vehicles prior to or immediately following delivery without incident.

I have no motivation to mislead anyone when it comes to this; as a professional protective coating installer I would be liable for repairing any damage resulting from the coating being applied to an uncured finish.
My 2014 Subaru WRX had lots of film protection from the factory on the sides / wheel area for rocks... I would think that was done right after paint? So who knows? I would play it safe and give it some time but looks like Subaru don't care...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts