SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning to buy a bumper pull camper, 17 to 20 foot, and have narrowed my vehicle choices down to used srt jeep or 1500 ram pickup (shortbed crewcab) . I've been wanting an srt for a while now and it is by far my 1st choice. The camper thing just happened recently to visit grandkids , so the pressure is on to quit dragging my feet, LOL. I can find all the towing capacities etc. on line but what I'm looking for from you guys is real world experience and opinions on towing with the GC. I know its got the power but how does it feel otherwise? The ram pickups are okay, if that's what I end up with, But it is NOT an SRT!! Towing miles will probably only be 10 to maybe 20% of the total, but I will give up performance, fun, and cool factor to be safe if need be. As far as the camper, it will be a used one as well so a new feather weight is not in my budget. Just looking for the smallest I can find with a fixed bed, for my wife and I. Thanks for any input!!

·
BMF
4,419 Posts
Get the 1500 Ram. Wheel Base is better. The SRT will sway

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,252 Posts
I pull the Hellcat with my GC Summit on a 20’ trailer. Absolutely no sway. Matter of fact read the owners manual close, the Jeep has sway recognition in the stability control system. The one problem I had once (we believe we could have been on the verge of too much cargo/load) was that one of the rear air bags burst. That causes a definite negative trip impact!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pull the Hellcat with my GC Summit on a 20’ trailer. Absolutely no sway. Matter of fact read the owners manual close, the Jeep has sway recognition in the stability control system. The one problem I had once (we believe we could have been on the verge of too much cargo/load) was that one of the rear air bags burst. That causes a definite negative trip impact!
Oh wow, yeah, airbag deploying would be a surprise! I would think a hellcat on trailer would be comparable to camper. You probably have trailer brakes? Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
267 Posts
We have a SRT Durango. I know chassis is a little different but they are more similar then different. Have towed only a few times with it being I have a truck so why cause the wear on expensive tires and brakes. But it tows amazingly well to be honest. The tow mode does things to the suspension and enables that sway control. It’s a very pleasant experience

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,252 Posts
Oh wow, yeah, airbag deploying would be a surprise! I would think a hellcat on trailer would be comparable to camper. You probably have trailer brakes? Thanks for the response!
Yes, definitely have a trailer brake installed. It would be very, very bad without, good point to bring up. It is okay without the car on it, but the 4500 or so pounds is large!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,106 Posts
So I'm planning to buy a bumper pull camper, 17 to 20 foot, and have narrowed my vehicle choices down to used srt jeep or 1500 ram pickup (shortbed crewcab) . I've been wanting an srt for a while now and it is by far my 1st choice. The camper thing just happened recently to visit grandkids , so the pressure is on to quit dragging my feet, LOL. I can find all the towing capacities etc. on line but what I'm looking for from you guys is real world experience and opinions on towing with the GC. I know its got the power but how does it feel otherwise? The ram pickups are okay, if that's what I end up with, But it is NOT an SRT!! Towing miles will probably only be 10 to maybe 20% of the total, but I will give up performance, fun, and cool factor to be safe if need be. As far as the camper, it will be a used one as well so a new feather weight is not in my budget. Just looking for the smallest I can find with a fixed bed, for my wife and I. Thanks for any input!!
The only way to know is to find the camper you want and get the weight. Then add up all the weight for everything you will be carrying both in the camper and in the tow vehicle including passengers then figure 10 to 15 % of loaded camper weight for tongue weight and add that weight to the load already in your vehicle and see where you stand.

The tire and loading information label on the vehicle door jamb will tell you the max load. If it's 1000-1200 lbs then you can see after passengers, cargo and hitch weight, you don't have much left over for tongue weight. That's why pickup trucks are usually better at this, it's not just about pulling, they just can carry more.

So check out the label on the Jeep you are considering, everything starts there then you can pick the right sized camper. Even with the electronics, you still don't want to be overloaded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only way to know is to find the camper you want and get the weight. Then add up all the weight for everything you will be carrying both in the camper and in the tow vehicle including passengers then figure 10 to 15 % of loaded camper weight for tongue weight and add that weight to the load already in your vehicle and see where you stand.

The tire and loading information label on the vehicle door jamb will tell you the max load. If it's 1000-1200 lbs then you can see after passengers, cargo and hitch weight, you don't have much left over for tongue weight. That's why pickup trucks are usually better at this, it's not just about pulling, they just can carry more.

So check out the label on the Jeep you are considering, everything starts there then you can pick the right sized camper. Even with the electronics, you still don't want to be overloaded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, pretty solid advice there. Ya know, I absolutely agree the pickup is the more practicle and logical choice, and would actually be alot easier to find due to the fact that there is more to choose from and how picky I would be as to which SRT I'd actually buy ,vs a pickup. Sounds like the GC is up for the task, providing I stay within the weight parameters, so I will keep looking and eventually figure it out. I wish I wasn't such a damn gearhead , cause the decision would be alot easier!! LOL

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which vehicle did you get?
neither yet, but have decided the ram is the best choice for my situation, been searching for the "right" one. I'll post a pick when I find her! BTW, welcome to the forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts