SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

TPMS Hell

8896 Views 93 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  nashvillecat
Hello,

Just got my 2022 Hellcat Widebody about a month ago.
I wasn't a fan of the standard satin black wheels it came with, so I picked up a set of takeoff Graphite Devil's Rims with tires and sensors.
I was skeptical the TPMS would sync up, because that's just how my luck is. Of course after about 100 miles of driving and multiple ignition cycles, the light never went off.
So I picked up a set of new sensors from Tire Rack and had Discount Tire install them. They stated the car would be able to pick them up after the usual 20+ mile drive. Go figure, the light is still on after 200 miles and multiple ignition cycles.

Took the car back to Discount and they scanned to confirm the sensors were working. They are. They also said to just keep driving it and it should come on. Obviously that's not gonna happen.

So I took it to the dealer to see if they could help. The service advisor stated they would have to break wheel/tire down and get the serial # off each sensor to input into their computer.

Tire Rack said both the dealer and the tire shop (who is on the list of installers) are wrong and it shouldn't be this complicated. I agree.

I've never had this much trouble with a stupid TPMS in my life and I've swapped out wheels on almost every car I've had.

Is there something I'm missing or an easier way to get this done?
Thanks
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Reason was that oem were on back order and I had to mount wheels and tires all together for winter set earlier in the year to save space in garage. Were supposed to work as others listed above so just letting all know that not necessarily :). Anyways, have oem already in the trunk as ordered them (just in case) along with black package emblems few months ago and just recently, finally were delivered. Changing next week when I’ll be road forced balancing winter wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,121 Posts
I got the 2020 Challenger/Charger TPMS recall notice a while back. Last week I went to my local dealer in my old truck to see about the recall because there's no way in hell I'm letting their apprentice tire kid touch my wheels and I politely told the service manager that. He of course said there wouldn't be a problem with my wheels on their machine. I then asked if his insurance would buy me a new set of wheels when his tire machine damages the machined surface of my wheels. He said that is not covered under the recall. I then said there's no way my car is coming in here, then.

I then asked the service manager if he could give me the new set of sensors that are listed in the recall covering all 2022's under the Z68/NHTSA 22V-504 Recall so I can pay to have my tire guy do it safely. He said he couldn't do that but he could give me the part number of the new TPMS sensors. The part number is CSFNZ681AA and get this - they retail for $6.95 each. I found them for $5.02 at a Mopar parts suppliers. Beware though, most dealers won't sell you these sensors because they are supposed to be restricted to recall use only. If you shop around and you'll find one that will sell you the set.

If you read the recall notice it actually allows you to submit for reimbursement if you already paid to have the work done yourself to replace the faulty recalled sensors. So that's what I am going to do - have my own reputable tire guy swap them out on a machine that is from this century and designed for wide aluminum wheels instead of the dealership's 1998 machine for steel rims.

I also notice that while it has the same part number printed on it that is previously shown in this thread 684874272AB, it does have a different batch number under the part number 23074A7E, with a July, 01 2022 date on it.

Here's the recall instructions: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V504-9080.pdf

Drink Drinkware Font Nail Camera accessory

· Registered
143 Posts
I got the 2020 Challenger/Charger TPMS recall notice a while back. Last week I went to my local dealer in my old truck to see about the recall because there's no way in hell I'm letting their apprentice tire kid touch my wheels and I politely told the service manager that. He of course said there wouldn't be a problem with my wheels on their machine. I then asked if his insurance would buy me a new set of wheels when his tire machine damages the machined surface of my wheels. He said that is not covered under the recall. I then said there's no way my car is coming in here, then.

I then asked the service manager if he could give me the new set of sensors that are listed in the recall covering all 2022's under the Z68/NHTSA 22V-504 Recall so I can pay to have my tire guy do it safely. He said he couldn't do that but he could give me the part number of the new TPMS sensors. The part number is CSFNZ681AA and get this - they retail for $6.95 each. I found them for $5.02 at a Mopar parts suppliers. Beware though, most dealers won't sell you these sensors because they are supposed to be restricted to recall use only. If you shop around and you'll find one that will sell you the set.

If you read the recall notice it actually allows you to submit for reimbursement if you already paid to have the work done yourself to replace the faulty recalled sensors. So that's what I am going to do - have my own reputable tire guy swap them out on a machine that is from this century and designed for wide aluminum wheels instead of the dealership's 1998 machine for steel rims.

I also notice that while it has the same part number printed on it that is previously shown in this thread 684874272AB, it does have a different batch number under the part number 23074A7E, with a July, 01 2022 date on it.

Here's the recall instructions: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCRIT-22V504-9080.pdf

View attachment 607850
That’s helpful! I’ll check what I got from moparoempartsdirect. Btw I like black vavles more so I guess it is not an issue to combine after market valves with oem sensor?

· Premium Member
10.22 @ 133 in Roomy Comfort (Stock as delivered, no tune of any kind, just tires)
739 Posts
I decided to install TPMS sensors on my rear beadlock while I had them apart.
I bought these on Amazon, all metal stems, $22 each or 4 for $60. My 2021 Red-eye picked them up within a couple of miles, and pressure was same as my tire gauge.

Not sure if these will work on 22+ cats but don't see why they wouldn't.

MORESENSOR Signature Series 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor 4-Pack | Preprogrammed for Select 850+ European/American Brand Models | Replacement for 56029398AA | Clamp-in | NX-S033-4 https://a.co/d/6uK2Bpq

· Registered
143 Posts

View attachment 607850
Checked what I got and the batch number is different but the date is later as it’s Aug 18, 2022 so I guess those should be post recall.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow that was fast: I submitted my recall reimbursement receipts and a long-winded essay on my dealer's reaction to my request that he pay for any damage to my wheels that may occur from their antique tire machine scraping the rims and look what showed up in my email this morning:

"Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Care. We are happy to assist you with regards to your concern. Your satisfaction is important to us!
We are pleased to inform you that we have approved a total of $168.81 for the reimbursement. We will be sending the check to the mailing address on file for you. Please allow 30 calendar days for the check to arrive. Please don't hesitate to contact us for any other concerns. Thank you for your continued business with Dodge Automobiles."

(BTW, this was after I had to talk to a human about the website not working - the "submit" button wouldn't do anything once you hit it so I called the recall customer service line)

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow that was fast. I received my $168.81 reimbursement check from Dodge this afternoon!

• Wow
Reactions: 2ndAmend

· Registered
1,121 Posts
These days it's not just the possibly inept tire guy damaging you rims, but the very real possibility of an insider in the dealership copying your keyfob and giving it to someone to steal your car.

Reactions: 2ndAmend

· Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
179 Posts
TPMS has been out on my car for about 9 months now. Both service center and Big Brand Tire cant seem to get the OEM part. After reading this thread im hesitant to try aftermarket.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
150 Posts
TPMS has been out on my car for about 9 months now. Both service center and Big Brand Tire cant seem to get the OEM part. After reading this thread im hesitant to try aftermarket.
Yes, there are thousands on national back order with no ETA.

• Wow
Reactions: dragrcr

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
My dealer quote factory st $315 delivered to my door for 2022. Also, I have another friend that has offered me the ones that came with his 2022 TRX, will the TRX be the same as with my Hellcat?

81 - 94 of 94 Posts