SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand new owner. Infact my car only has 20 miles on the odo after I drove It around today to WaWa.

But racing this baby is already flashing through my mind, which got me thinking about “track mode”.

While racing at the track,
You have to have it in “track mode” to have the SRT Power Chiller on (my guess- probably worth about 20-40 hp over the advertised numbers for the Redeye and Demon when its on)

But i have read through a few articles that its best to put the car in “Custom mode” and set the suspension to “street” so you get better weight transfer. ( Then set everything else to track)

So what do you guys do? Can you do both?

and also what the deal with “Torque reserve” - has anyone had any success with using that at the track with the Launch control?

Maybe a Tazer would allow you to change track mode a bit to allow you to set track mode to have “street mode” suspension??

·
Registered
950 Posts
On a hot day, I'll put the car into track mode to keep the killer chiller on. Just before I stage for burnout I'll switch it to custom mode, use line lock, then race in custom mode. As of yet there is no way to cheat the killer chiller and have it on in any mode, besides track mode. The best change will be when we can borrow some Demon tech, and steal their drag mode. The Demon killer chiller works in drag mode, and it's the best setup for drag racing. It will happen eventually, just a matter of time until it hits the market (Aftermarket tuners are working on such a solution already). It will involve unlocking your pcm though.

My custom setup:

Suspension = Street
Trans = Track
Traction = Sport

Torque reserve is only used with launch control. I believe it builds some boost on the line before you take off. No one seems to use launch control though, it's okay but foot braking is the preferred and better method.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Set it to track mode, and then switch the suspension to street mode. Save that setup as your custom mode.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
What Schv said ^^^
Set your custom mode up in track trans but street suspension. It’s how i drive normally. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What Schv said ^^^
Set your custom mode up in track trans but street suspension. It’s how i drive normally. Best of both worlds.
I agree, but by doing that, you guys are leaving a ton of power out of the equation since the power chiller only comes on in "Track mode"

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I agree, but by doing that, you guys are leaving a ton of power out of the equation since the power chiller only comes on in "Track mode"
Ah. Mine is a 2016. Now I understand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On a hot day, I'll put the car into track mode to keep the killer chiller on. Just before I stage for burnout I'll switch it to custom mode, use line lock, then race in custom mode. As of yet there is no way to cheat the killer chiller and have it on in any mode, besides track mode. The best change will be when we can borrow some Demon tech, and steal their drag mode. The Demon killer chiller works in drag mode, and it's the best setup for drag racing. It will happen eventually, just a matter of time until it hits the market (Aftermarket tuners are working on such a solution already). It will involve unlocking your pcm though.

My custom setup:

Suspension = Street
Trans = Track
Traction = Sport

Torque reserve is only used with launch control. I believe it builds some boost on the line before you take off. No one seems to use launch control though, it's okay but foot braking is the preferred and better method.
Thanks MaxCarnage:
Switching to the Theoretical (Hang on this may get bumpy)
I was dreaming this up last night: Have you ever tried launching the car with your custom set up on (so your suspension is soft for 60ft), and then a 1/3 of the way down the track, quickly manually switching over (easier said than done I'm sure) to the Track mode to pick up the extra power as you go down the track from the SRT Power Chiller?

To help facilitate this process at the track: I know double pressing your SRT button currently takes you to your custom mode automatically.
Perhaps we could also use the Tazer to set up a custom button .. Like say the traction control button. We could map Traction control button and reassign it over to "Track Mode" .. That way, it would be alot easier to switch back over to Track mode, during our runs. Does this sound feasible?

Might be fun to experiment with. Maybe worth a tenth or 2 and some mph - if my hunch is correct. So much fun tech in these cars.

Also, I assume you guys run the "SRT-After-cooler" in-between your runs when you are sitting with the car off in the staging lanes?

·
Premium Member
7,805 Posts
Using Track Mode to "chill" the supercharger for a time before the race. It will keep the air charge cooler for the 20 seconds it takes to switch it into Custom Mode staging and running the race on a strip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted tazer about this a month ago. Nothing came of it, just a generic answer.
MAXBoost, I will contact them as well.
Is the tazer (currently) useful for anything else with Redeye for racing? Since we already have Line Lock, is there currently anything else we can use it for?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using Track Mode to "chill" the supercharger for a time before the race. It will keep the air charge cooler for the 20 seconds it takes to switch it into Custom Mode staging and running the race on a strip.
Yep- I will do that as well DGatzby - Thanks. So if we do that, PLUS switch back over into Track mode about 1/3 of the way down the track, you might pick up some additional hp.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks MaxCarnage:
Switching to the Theoretical (Hang on this may get bumpy)
I was dreaming this up last night: Have you ever tried launching the car with your custom set up on (so your suspension is soft for 60ft), and then a 1/3 of the way down the track, quickly manually switching over (easier said than done I'm sure) to the Track mode to pick up the extra power as you go down the track from the SRT Power Chiller?

To help facilitate this process at the track: I know double pressing your SRT button currently takes you to your custom mode automatically.
Perhaps we could also use the Tazer to set up a custom button .. Like say the traction control button. We could map Traction control button and reassign it over to "Track Mode" .. That way, it would be alot easier to switch back over to Track mode, during our runs. Does this sound feasible?

Might be fun to experiment with. Maybe worth a tenth or 2 and some mph - if my hunch is correct. So much fun tech in these cars.

Also, I assume you guys run the "SRT-After-cooler" in-between your runs when you are sitting with the car off in the staging lanes?
I'm too busy making sure the wheel is straight for my trip down the strip to try and switch back to track mode. I doubt it would help if at all. At 1/3 down the track you have what 6 seconds left until finish line? Plus it takes a couple seconds to not only engage track mode, but for the killer chiller to turn on. By that time, the ride is already over.

I have been meaning to use the after run cooler, but I personally haven't yet. I have however been pretty impressed with the killer chiller. Helps keep the car cooler, so that run after run you are more consistent and the s/c isn't heat soaked.

·
Registered
950 Posts
While racing at the track,
You have to have it in “track mode” to have the SRT Power Chiller on (my guess- probably worth about 20-40 hp over the advertised numbers for the Redeye and Demon when its on)
Is the killer chiller making extra power for you? yes and no. Heat and bad DA steal power from your advertised 797hp. So in hot weather the killer chiller helps bring some of that power back by cooling down your s/c. It cannot however change your DA, your car is still pulling in heat (from higher outside temps) or thinner air from higher altitude (vs sea level).

·
Registered
950 Posts
MAXBoost, I will contact them as well.
Is the tazer (currently) useful for anything else with Redeye for racing? Since we already have Line Lock, is there currently anything else we can use it for?
At this point in time, I believe the tazer doesn't have any real valuable items our Redeyes need. That may change, but as of right now I don't see buying a tazer to be helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,805 Posts
Yep- I will do that as well DGatzby - Thanks. So if we do that, PLUS switch back over into Track mode about 1/3 of the way down the track, you might pick up some additional hp.
I would not screw with it, it won’t matter, you have a lot of power that you need to guide down the road to concentrate on in a few seconds.

Your Custom Mode wants street loaded on suspension for softer shocks and you don’t want to change that also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been thinking...mostly about our trans in Street/Sport/Track modes. I was WOT the other day in Street Mode...not my usual Custom (which has trans set for Track, Steering and Suspension in street) Sport or Track mode. I was very impressed (actually kinda shocked) how fast/firm the shifts were and how smooth is was with seemingly no drop in power between shifts.

I've noticed in Track mode at WOT there is a slight "loss" in power when it up-shifts and barks (cutting of fuel/spark I'm sure) during each gear change. I understand the reasons why as the Redeye is tailored more toward a road racing set up not drag racing like the Demon...smooth is fast...fast is smooth. You don't want anything to upset the suspension especially during shifts hence the "softer" shifts even though it sounds/barks like a pissed off Rot during up shifts which I freakin' love. I also noticed while watching a few Demon vids how damn fast it was shifting. With no real noticeable bark/hesitation between shifts. Maybe it does in some vids, depending on what setting they're in, but this particular vid the up-shifts were smooth and fast. It peeked my interest and this thread made me think about it a bit more.

So...with that said...I'm wondering if during drag racing the trans will actually be better (resulting in slightly better et's) if in Street or Sport for firmer up-shifts without cutting fuel/spark, as it seems to do in Track mode, I don't remember if it does in Sport also. I'll check later today. Have to try this at my next track event when Houston's weather returns from the bowels of hell.

·
Registered
156 Posts
OP, I'm guessing that you've already decided on some DRs versus stock or summer tires? If not, you'll have much more work getting the car to hook than you'll have time to worry about chiller.

Enjoy your new ride! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Damn, it is crazy having to have these little problems! Back in the day, you didnt have the technology to be able to switch all these settings up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts