SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a Tracki GPS tracker from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to activating it and testing it out this weekend. I paid for the two year subscription which dropped my monthly fee from $19.95 per month to only $9.95 per month. Overall impressions are positive, given the price of the device and relative accuracy of the tracker. Every time I had stopped my vehicle for 10 minutes or more (an interval I chose from between 1 minute to 24 hours), Tracki would alert me when my Hellcat moved again. I received messages sent to the email address I registered with Tracki when I created my account. This afternoon I called Tracki support to configure the tracker to send move alerts to my mobile phone as well. More on that later.

The Tracki itself is the size of a matchbox and comes with several ways to mount it in your vehicle.

I used the magnetic backing plate and mounted the tracker deep inside my trunk. The tracker operates with GPS and WiFi, but does NOT require open-sky or line-of-sight to operate. Theoretically you can mount the Tracki anywhere, including the underside of your vehicle. This is a big attraction for this little tracker. The battery is rechargeable and comes with a USB to Micro-D charging cable. Battery life varies depending on the frequency of update your choose. If you elect to update your tracker every minute, the battery will likely last less than a day. There is an optional expanded battery pack you can buy for an additional $40 that will triple battery life.

After I set up my account and activated my Tracki, I played around with a few of the settings. It's really pretty simple to figure out without having to delve into the Tracki owners manual, but I did copy Tracki's online manual and made a PDF file which I attached to this post to explain some of the finer details of the device settings. I also attached a few screen captures from my phone along with a brief explanation to give you an idea of the Tracki's efficiency and accuracy, and how it might be used as a recovery device if your Hellcat or Redeye is ever stolen.

Tracki settings allow you to name your device and I chose "CATSOFF"' which is the personalized plate I ordered from CA DMV recently.

This is the main interface and the menu option when you press the three linear ellipses in the upper right hand corner. Depending upon positioning of available GPS satellites, Tracki will report a relative accuracy of where the device (and presumably your Dodge) are located. I think the ranges are between 15-200 feet.

Tracking modes allow your to choose update intervals between 1 minute and 24 hours (there's a second page in this setting). Just keep in mind that shorter intervals translates into shorter battery life.

This image shows my route taken this morning between my home and a shopping center hosting a Starbucks and the best donuts in all of San Diego. The representation shown is spot-on accurate.

This is the aforementioned shopping center this past Saturday. Tracki shows the location of CATSOFF (red dot) just about 25 feet away from where I actually parked my cat (yellow dot).

This is the same shopping center today (Sunday). Tracki accurately shows the location of CATSOFF (red dot) in the exact spot where I parked my cat (red dot). The blue dot and blue arrow represents the location of my monitoring phone (and me) - also 100% accurate to where I was sitting this morning on the Starbucks patio. I don't know if Tracki has a learning curve that allows it to improve or if there was just less GPS interference today. But the accuracy is impressive!

When your Tracki moves, you receive an alert via email. I configured my Tracki to also send me a text message. Again, I chose a ten minute interval to save on battery life. As you can see, the first alert happened at 6:50 AM (When I moved my HC out of the garage). The 2nd one came up 13 minute later when I rolled off the driveway (had to take care of a few things before I left).

Important to keep in mind. Don't leave your mobile phone in your car if you have it interfaced with Uconnect. Uconnect of course announces incoming messages and the last thing you want is for a thief to find out there's an active tracking device in your car. On second thought, maybe the would-be thief would get spooked, park the stolen car, and bail. I have to think on this one more. :unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for this. Mine just came in today and is still sitting on the charger, though I have activated for 1 month to see if it's worth my while to do the full 2 year. A couple hundred bucks for more peace of mind is well worth it in my opinion, as long as the tracker works and isn't a hassle.

I've thought about the hard wire kit, but I'll want to find a good hiding place for the tracker first. Super glad to hear it works in your trunk since the Tracki instructions explicitly say NOT to put it in there. Either way I'm going to try and hide it inside and wire it so I'm not having to constantly take it out to charge.

It's a good looking unit, and you're right. So far the setup was super simple and navigating the app has been easy.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
195 Posts
Y’all know dodge has a free security update in the Uconnect for hellcats and scat packs?

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
124 Posts
HemiMetal thank you for the review! I order the Tracki off Amazon and it also arrived this past weekend. I really do like the compact small size of the tracker. The app is decent and fairly accurate from what I can tell from the last few days. I went with the year subscription to see what is like. So far I'm impressed with this little unit.

Y’all know dodge has a free security update in the Uconnect for hellcats and scat packs?
Naw, you can keep the Uconnect update the criminals will find a way to defeat it. Once they unplug the battery the Uconnect service is useless.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'll get the update too (assuming you're talking about the PIN code). But, as has been shown in many posts, relying solely on the security measures provided by the manufacturer leaves a lot to be desired. Adding another layer of security that would be thieves aren't necessarily aware of is a good investment for me. Granted, it's still a reactionary measure - meaning it doesn't keep a theft from happening but might help if something does.

Drove around today with my tracker in the cupholders and the sunglass holder, just to see how well it gets a signal inside the car (obviously these wouldn't be permanent mounting spots). Happy to report it worked great! I'll just try a few more hidey holes and then see about hard wiring. I won't tell you where I end up putting it...because that would be dumb.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RedEye
124 Posts
I'll get the update too (assuming you're talking about the PIN code). But, as has been shown in many posts, relying solely on the security measures provided by the manufacturer leaves a lot to be desired. Adding another layer of security that would be thieves aren't necessarily aware of is a good investment for me. Granted, it's still a reactionary measure - meaning it doesn't keep a theft from happening but might help if something does.

Drove around today with my tracker in the cupholders and the sunglass holder, just to see how well it gets a signal inside the car (obviously these wouldn't be permanent mounting spots). Happy to report it worked great! I'll just try a few more hidey holes and then see about hard wiring. I won't tell you where I end up putting it...because that would be dumb.
I feel you Rio! I'm keeping my hiding spot to myself. Off topic a bit, but the notifications Tracki sends to my phone are standard and I get 100s of notifications a day which I ignore. But I then set up to receive email notifications. From my email I set a rule to forward that email to my phone and created a contact. There I can set a siren alarm for the notification for this contact. Not sure if there is an easier way to make the Tracki notifications unique for an Android phone, but this may help you all out.

·
Registered
Demon #2293 Indigo blue
97 Posts
My son put one of these on his SRT8 a few months ago and he loves it. When he first got it,we were looking at it on the dinning room table before dinner. As I was looking at it, the magnet sucked a knife onto it from 10"s away. Scared the hell out of all of us. LOL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The security update is preventative and passive, but as others have mentioned does little if someone disconnects the battery or loads your HC or RE onto a flatbed. I also plan to have the security update performed, but I don't know if the Uconnect will alert me the moment my Hellcat is moved and that's the value of the Tracki. The moment it's moved, I'll get a text alert.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,884 Posts
Can Tracki be hooked up and powered by the cars battery with their supplied battery used as a battery back up in case the cars battery is disconnected?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can Tracki be hooked up and powered by the cars battery with their supplied battery used as a battery back up in case the cars battery is disconnected?

What @Hemi_Life said. The Tracki battery would be fully charged and would operate on it's own if the car battery was disconnected.

·
Registered
278 Posts
@Hemi_Life @HemiMetal Using the cars battery as primary power, and the batter as secondary seems the way to go, wouldn’t you guys say?
Yes. The only gotcha there is if the hard wire is intentionally disconnected, will the cable be traced back to the tracker? It's possible the person disconnecting it thinks it's just a wire for some other accessory like radar detector or dash cam.

The battery will last a minimum of a day with like 1 or 3 minute updates (per the manual). Goes for much longer if updates are spread for longer duration. I've had mine on for about 12 hours with 30 minute updates = 89% battery remaining. So fuzzy math puts it at about 5.5 days battery life at this rate. I'll likely drop down much lower once hard wired.

I can confirm what @HemiMetal posted. Tracki works in the trunk too. Had the car parked in a parking lot near the beach, so it's not like it was locating using wifi. So let your imagination be your guide regarding hiding spots.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
810 Posts
How easy is it to jam the Tracki with a simple plug-in GPS jammer? Many thieves we catch down here have these.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
How easy is it to jam the Tracki with a simple plug-in GPS jammer? Many thieves we catch down here have these.
That I don't know, you might have to ask Tracki tech support. BTW, their tech support is five stars. I sent a question by email over the weekend and was surprised when I got a email response two hours later from an agent who was letting me know she had tried to reach me by phone (I missed the call). I called back and was on the phone with another rep in just a few minutes. And it wasn't an offshore help desk.

Back to your point. For any security measure you can implement there is a way to counter it. The main value of the Tracki (for me) are the movement alerts that I receive immediately by email and text when the Tracki is moved. For example, I removed the Tracki from my trunk this evening and I got a text buzz just a few seconds later. Even if some really quick thieves make off with your vehicle before you can rush back, pinpointing the time of the theft has to be an advantage when reporting the theft to law enforcement or (at the very least) your insurance carrier. I like the advantage of knowing when a theft might actually be in progress.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Hemi_Life @HemiMetal Using the cars battery as primary power, and the batter as secondary seems the way to go, wouldn’t you guys say?
Sure, if you're comfortable with it. I'm not too good at splicing peripherals into my wiring. I have a tendency to short stuff out. In this instance, I'd be OK with the expanded 3500 mAh battery pack.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
810 Posts
That I don't know, you might have to ask Tracki tech support. BTW, their tech support is five stars. I sent a question by email over the weekend and was surprised when I got a email response two hours later from an agent who was letting me know she had tried to reach me by phone (I missed the call). I called back and was on the phone with another rep in just a few minutes. And it wasn't an offshore help desk.

Back to your point. For any security measure you can implement there is a way to counter it. The main value of the Tracki (for me) are the movement alerts that I receive immediately by email and text when the Tracki is moved. For example, I removed the Tracki from my trunk this evening and I got a text buzz just a few seconds later. Even if some really quick thieves make off with your vehicle before you can rush back, pinpointing the time of the theft has to be an advantage when reporting the theft to law enforcement or (at the very least) your insurance carrier. I like the advantage of knowing when a theft might actually be in progress.
As I work in law enforcement, if the Tracki doesn't stop plug-in GPS jammers, then it's almost assuredly not going to protect you from getting the car stolen. I'd easily venture to say that >80% of car thieves use GPS jammers since most new vehicles have either a built-in tracking mechanism or loose mobile phones inside the vehicle that can be tracked.

The Tracki will no doubt protect you from amateurs... but Hellcats are more likely to be targeted by non-amateurs. Just take a look through the forums. Nobody is reporting their alarms going off. At least knowledgeable thieves know how to break in and crack a Hellcat. These folks don't waste time stealing Honda Civics and have a skillset more in-line with lifting expensive vehicles. A knowledgeable thief will lift your key signal with a scanner, unlock your car without the need to break the windows or a slim jim, then immediately plug in the GPS jammer to your 12V port.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sure, if you're comfortable with it. I'm not too good at splicing peripherals into my wiring. I have a tendency to short stuff out. In this instance, I'd be OK with the expanded 3500 mAh battery pack.
No wire splicing needed. If you can pull out a fuse, you can hard wire this. The kit has an add-a-circuit type fuse tap, so it'll just piggy back of a fuse location. Oh and you will have to attach the ground cable to a ground source, but that's more along the lines of backing out a nut/bolt. So again, super easy to hard wire. (Alternatively, you can just go straight to the battery.) It's a one time hassle compared to taking out the tracker and charging it every few days.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
278 Posts
As I work in law enforcement, if the Tracki doesn't stop plug-in GPS jammers, then it's almost assuredly not going to protect you from getting the car stolen. I'd easily venture to say that >80% of car thieves use GPS jammers since most new vehicles have either a built-in tracking mechanism or loose mobile phones inside the vehicle that can be tracked.

The Tracki will no doubt protect you from amateurs... but Hellcats are more likely to be targeted by non-amateurs. Just take a look through the forums. Nobody is reporting their alarms going off. At least knowledgeable thieves know how to break in and crack a Hellcat. These folks don't waste time stealing Honda Civics and have a skillset more in-line with lifting expensive vehicles. A knowledgeable thief will lift your key signal with a scanner, unlock your car without the need to break the windows or a slim jim, then immediately plug in the GPS jammer to your 12V port.
To echo HemiMetal, there is always a counter to your protective measures. If I use the neutral pull cover, they just release it from underneath. If I have "The Club" and park tightly between a wall and another car, they use wheel dollies or a stinger tow truck. If I have a faraday pouch, they just cut the glass and use the OBD to program a new fob.

I understand your wanting to help explain the vulnerabilities of an added GPS tracker. But now that you've basically said this is 80% worthless, how about sharing what you would do that isn't as vulnerable? And parking in your garage doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts