1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the numbers my Dodge Dealer gave me;
2021 Charger Redeye - no added options $72,838
2015 Charger Hellcat 9,900 miles Red, w/Nav (perfect 9.5/10 condition) trade in $35,000

Is $35,000 outrageous? I see 2015's going to $52,000 with 30,000 - 40,000 mile!
You guys / gals have so much knowledge - Is this a bad deal - upgrade will cost $42,000.

My "GO" # was $25,000 - $30,000, but for $42,000 I'll keep my 2015. I cherish your opinion and thoughts.
Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Low-end on KBB is $41k. I wouldn't accept that. $40k would be absolute bare-minimum IMO.

But honestly, $35k sounds about right on a 2015 Hellcat at an auto auction. Dealers really don't give a shit about what the quality of the vehicle is as long as it is running, has no obvious flaws, and has a clean history/title. So they'll generally give you auction prices to really screw with you. They know they aren't going to make any extra money on a mint vehicle.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
21 Posts
I would ask the dealer to show you the current range of pricing from Manheim auctions. This would give you real world values. I have had dealers offer thousands less than the current auction values which would be a total ripoff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you must have a new car, I suggest selling that one outright and buying with cash in hand. Does it still have warranty you can transfer? Otherwise it is still new...I'd start driving it!
Depends on the state. On a $70k car that's almost $6k in sales taxes. With a trade you'd half that. It depends on how much you can sell it for private, and how much in sales taxes you're saving when you trade.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
752 Posts
Low-end on KBB is $41k. I wouldn't accept that. $40k would be absolute bare-minimum IMO.

But honestly, $35k sounds about right on a 2015 Hellcat at an auto auction. Dealers really don't give a shit about what the quality of the vehicle is as long as it is running, has no obvious flaws, and has a clean history/title. So they'll generally give you auction prices to really screw with you. They know they aren't going to make any extra money on a mint vehicle.
Agreed, they probably wouldn’t care if it had been kicked in the door by someone’s shoe, most go right to auction and the less money they give for the trade is a icing on their cake..it’s a game

·
Registered
Charger Hellcat Widebody
32 Posts
Was at Carmax a couple of weeks ago and guy sold his 2016 Hellcat Challenger with 32,000 miles to them . I believe he said they gave him $42k

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I was shopping used I was looking at 15/16’s and from dealers yes they were 48/50K for one owner low miles. Private sellers were 45/48 K. As everyone has stated sell it on your own. They are offering you wholesale and then they will sell your car for 45/48K.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,075 Posts

35k is low even at auction. That car with those miles here in CT at the wholesale auction we attend every week would bring mid 40’s. Even now. I watch them when they come through.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
2015 Charger Hellcat 9,900 miles Red, w/Nav (perfect 9.5/10 condition) trade in $35,000

You guys / gals have so much knowledge - Is this a bad deal - upgrade will cost $42,000.

My "GO" # was $25,000 - $30,000, but for $42,000 I'll keep my 2015. I cherish your opinion and thoughts.
Paul
That’s a crazy low ball offer!
My brother sold (not traded) his 2016 Hellcat challenger a8 with 13000 miles and worn rear tires to a local Maryland dealership for $48200 3 months ago.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why would you trade it in? I don’t consider it an upgrade. Even if they gave you 50k. What are you trading for its basically the same car just newer.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,293 Posts
where are you located? used 2015s are NOT selling for 52k in my area (northeast) i got $36k for my 2015 (6M) but it had 65,000 miles on it (i was very happy with that trade value) they then sold it for $39k which i thought was very strong.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
184 Posts
where are you located? used 2015s are NOT selling for 52k in my area (northeast) i got $36k for my 2015 (6M) but it had 65,000 miles on it (i was very happy with that trade value) they then sold it for $39k which i thought was very strong.
$36k was more appropriate in your case. Theres a huge difference between 9900 miles and 65000miles; especially to a dealership..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in Long Island NY. I was really turned off by the offer. I called 4 dealers in Long Island - 2 never called me back. This one took 10 calls to get the salesman Mike (who sold me the 2015 HC) to call me back. They really are out to rip you off. He said 72,000 was 1% over invoice and could not budge on that price. And $35,000 was best trade in he could do. I said NO DEAL and told him 2015 HC with 20,000 miles are going for $52,000. I also told him +$30,000 was my final offer. He said he'll call me back today - stay tuned.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,075 Posts
Why are you limiting yourself to LI? If you go a little North you wont have to work so hard to spend your money.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,193 Posts

Paul
Just like you would negotiate the new car price so too should you negotiate the used car price.

You should have armed yourself with the current market price of used Hellcats and bargained for a better trade in value.

Remember: Price is not fact only an opinion and the dealer was just offering his opinion on what he thought your car was worth.

A dealer is under no obligation to offer you a new car at his lowest price. Nor is he required to offer you top dollar for your trade in. Not how car selling works.

In his defense while you claim the car is 9.5/10 condition the dealer has to consider what if the car is not in as good a condition as you describe it.

One tactic is if a dealer low balls you on your trade in to then adjust your offer for the new car down by the amount you believe the dealer under priced your car.

A trade in complicates a new car purchase. You want to avoid over paying for the new car and of course getting a good price for your trade in. Of course good price is relative to what the market actually supports.

You want to avoid getting a "deal" on the new car while taking a bath in trading in your car. The flip side is you don't want to get top dollar on your car's trade in only to pay for this by overpaying for the new car.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts