SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Trade ins?

12K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  april77 
You'd be best off selling outright rather than trading. Why give the dealer any more leverage than they already have? I did not trade anything in my transaction.

I'd love to sell it outright, unfortunately, it takes a lot more work. I'm almost ready to accept the crappy price the dealer is offering (and refuses to budge on) just so I don't have to deal with the hassle.
It may be alot of work, but you're worth more than that, right? You can do it! Use the extra money for insurance, accessories for your Hellcat or gasoline!

I think it honestly depends. If you can get significantly more for your car selling it privately, then by all means, try and sell it privately. If a dealer decides not to screw you over on a trade in and you live in a state that allows you to pay the difference on sales tax with a trade in when you purchase a new vehicle, then it would probably be wiser to do that. Unless you can get more by selling it privately then you would with the trade in value AND tax break. When I bought my Shelby, the dealer offered to give me $24,000 for my trade in, which was a Focus ST that I paid $25,600 for brand new the year before, so it was a no brainer. It was almost like I lost nothing.

IF I decide to get a hellcat, then I would have to trade my Shelby for it. Whether or not I trade entirely depends on if the Dodge dealer wants to screw me on the trade or not. I wouldn't be making this move until there are charger hellcats on dealer lots, so I have some more time to decide.
The dealer is in business to make a profit. That's what pays their bills, pure and simple. The dealer is not going to give a car away without a profit and they are not going to take a trade unless there is a profit involved. You can either keep that profit in your pocket or squander it and put it in theirs. I guess it just comes down to how much "sweat equity" you want to put into your purchase. Personally, I'd rather have the cash in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.