SRT Hellcat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts
I'm stopping in at CarMax on the way to pick up my hellcat and getting a quote from them. I'll use that quote as a ammo to help in the negotiating with my dealer. If CarMax offers me 10k and dealer offers like 9k...then I'll still just stick with the dealer for the tax break and the ease of transaction.

Caren....don't you have a CarMax in the area?? The quote is free and takes like 30 minutes and is independent of you buying a car there.
I'm her husband and we're not even bothering going to CarMax. Before I got the Challenger I took my 2010 B5 SRT8 to CarMax for kicks and they offered 20k for it. I laughed and walked away. Complete waste of time.

Edit: Should add that 20k was below 'rough' Black Book value for trade-in, LOL. That car was far from 'rough' condition.

Reactions: caren
I'm her husband and we're not even bothering going to CarMax. Before I got the Challenger I took my 2010 B5 SRT8 to CarMax for kicks and they offered 20k for it. I laughed and walked away. Complete waste of time.
Yep, I figure if I get a bit of a loss I got it back in pure kick a$$ enjoyment while I owned it! LOL Go get your woman's car, screw the trade bs. Its worth it!!

I still need to crunch the numbers as the tax savings may be worth it even with their low-ball trade offer. Plus the lack of hassle of selling on your own, not even knowing when the new car will show up.

I've always considered a trade in a convenice tax. As I've gotten older I'm fine with that as long as the offer is reasonable. What sucks is they're offering the same amount as what I got from the other dealer where we got our Challenger. But mine had nearly double the miles, and did not have A5, sunroof and navigation like hers does. Wish we could switch the order to the other dealer.. :(

Yep, I figure if I get a bit of a loss I got it back in pure kick a$$ enjoyment while I owned it! LOL Go get your woman's car, screw the trade bs. Its worth it!!

I still need to crunch the numbers as the tax savings may be worth it even with their low-ball trade offer. Plus the lack of hassle of selling on your own, not even knowing when the new car will show up.

I've always considered a trade in a convenice tax. As I've gotten older I'm fine with that as long as the offer is reasonable. What sucks is they're offering the same amount as what I got from the other dealer where we got our Challenger. But mine had nearly double the miles, and did not have A5, sunroof and navigation like hers does. Wish we could switch the order to the other dealer.. :(
Yeah, that's b.s. they got you because the car is ordered and they know they can sell it. Jackturds! Are they even close to trade in book value? Good luck, I hope you guys get it worked out. Caren needs to get her Hellbaby!!

Yes they do, but that goes into what I was saying about the tax break. It depends how much profit they want to make off of it. Let's say you have a car you can sell for 50 grand and you want to trade it in for a 60 grand car, but the dealer only wants to give you 45 grand. If they give you 45 grand for it on a trade in for a car that they're selling for 60 grand, when you register that car, you only have to pay tax on the difference, in this case it's 15 grand. So instead of paying tax on 60 grand, your paying tax on 15. New York sales tax is 8.65% If you sold the car privately and paid tax on 60 grand, you'd be paying $8,100 in tax, so you be spending 68,100 on the car. Sales tax on 15 grand is $2,025, so you'd be paying 62,025 for the car. The difference between 68,100 and $62,025 is $6,075, which is greater than the 5 grand difference you would of got if you sold the car privately so in this case, it would pay to trade in, even though your getting slightly less for the car.
Not sure what number you are using for your figures but tax on $68,100.00 at 8.65% would be $5890.65 :eek:

Yeah, that's b.s. they got you because the car is ordered and they know they can sell it. Jackturds! Are they even close to trade in book value? Good luck, I hope you guys get it worked out. Caren needs to get her Hellbaby!!
They're close to 3k off the mark for trade in based on Blue Book, Black Book and NADA..

Edit: Should add that 20k was below 'rough' Black Book value for trade-in, LOL. That car was far from 'rough' condition.
Wait: Caren and tsc are married? That's cool (don't get me wrong); I just think it is interesting...

Wait: Caren and tsc are married? That's cool (don't get me wrong); I just think it is interesting...
Indeed. Married for over 10 years now. Love that she has a similar taste in these cars.. But it does leave a dent in the wallet. :D

This is also why she started her thread asking if there are any other Hellcat 'couples' out there. :)

They're close to 3k off the mark for trade in based on Blue Book, Black Book and NADA..
Ugh! That does suck, but based on what we have seen not surprising. At least they aren't trying to get $10k more from you guys. Just my opinion, which is worth less than 2 cents, but I would still take the deal as long as it doesn't cause you to be seriously upside down with the bank. o_O

Yes they do, but that goes into what I was saying about the tax break. It depends how much profit they want to make off of it. Let's say you have a car you can sell for 50 grand and you want to trade it in for a 60 grand car, but the dealer only wants to give you 45 grand. If they give you 45 grand for it on a trade in for a car that they're selling for 60 grand, when you register that car, you only have to pay tax on the difference, in this case it's 15 grand. So instead of paying tax on 60 grand, your paying tax on 15. New York sales tax is 8.65% If you sold the car privately and paid tax on 60 grand, you'd be paying $8,100 in tax, so you be spending 68,100 on the car. Sales tax on 15 grand is $2,025, so you'd be paying 62,025 for the car. The difference between 68,100 and $62,025 is $6,075, which is greater than the 5 grand difference you would of got if you sold the car privately so in this case, it would pay to trade in, even though your getting slightly less for the car.
if you can only sell the car privately for 50, how can a dealer sell for 60? I bet they would only give u 40

Is anyone else doing a trade-in on their Hellcat purchase? Did your dealer try to sc**w you over (like mine is) because they know you're stuck buying the car you ordered no matter what?
Happy with mine, deal and pricing, New Hellcat is at Taylor waiting delivery, Old SRT8 is going bye bye and saves some sales tax. Win Win for me. They would not take the old car until the delivery day. I would have to get big bucks if I sell outright and then have to make up the sales tax difference plus deal with somebody and their bank on the old car.

Ugh! That does suck, but based on what we have seen not surprising. At least they aren't trying to get $10k more from you guys. Just my opinion, which is worth less than 2 cents, but I would still take the deal as long as it doesn't cause you to be seriously upside down with the bank. o_O
We are far from upside down, even with their crap offer, depending on when the car shows up, there will be at least 12k in equity that would be taken off the purchase price and reduce tax paid.

Reactions: 630
Indeed. Married for over 10 years now. Love that she has a similar taste in these cars.. But it does leave a dent in the wallet. :D

This is also why she started her thread asking if there are any other Hellcat 'couples' out there. :)
Yup - I remember the question; I was thinking in terms of general Hellcat couples not forum ones - but it is very cool! I am not sure Caren's penchant for muscle cars leaves a smaller wallet dent than my wife's affinity for jewelry...

Sales tax varies from state to state but the main thing is even if you find a person to purchase your old car for "retail" ( or a favorable number to you) they probably have to get a loan and that will dictate how much they can afford. You are looking for a wealthy cash buyer who wants a used car.

My old srt got bought back under lemon law. So no trade for me

agree on the less hassle, tax beni and I trade 90% of the time, but depends on what you are trading. in this case, I had a GM 2008 4x4 truck in good shape which is easy to sell here in AZ.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.