SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me ask if this is a fair deal from you experts:

I took my 2015 Charger HC to the dealer for a trade-in. It has 10,500 miles. Appraiser said my car was a "10"
They offered $43,000 for the trade-in with the the final deal set at $33,000 including all taxes and fees if I trade it in now. If I wait the 8-10 weeks for the factory order, the price will $42,000 for the trade-in and it'll cost me $34,000 out of tje pocket.

So far is that reasonable??
also which would you take? Trade in now and save $1000, or keep the HC for 8-10 weeks and hope anything doesn't happen to it. I have another car I can use. What I am also afraid of by trading it in is once I do, the car is gone and if they play any games I have NO car.

Any expert advise here???

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,861 Posts
I dont leave my car until I get my next one. Playing the "it'll cost you more later so give us your car now" game doesnt fly with me. I would make a deal contingent upon a certain mileage limitation on your trade. As long as you dont put more than XX miles on the car in the meantime, we all stick to the agreed deal.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
895 Posts
The price for the trade isn't bad. They'll likely list between 49 and 51k, depending on your options. As Slowpoke said, you generally won't leave your car there until the next one comes in. I've always made deals with anticipated quality limits (IE, no new dents, dings, damage, and stains) and X amount of miles or less. The trade deal will be finalized 2 minutes before you hand them the keys, not before, and is subject to change dependent upon mileage and condition.

An alternative would be to sign the order, then private sell your HC in the interim. Your deposit only covers the build slot, so you could, in theory, private sell the HC for 50k while you wait to receive your build. At worst, you end up not being able to sell it and trade it in at the 42 or 43k offer amount.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody Redeye
121 Posts
I just did the same thing. Got 56.5k for my near mint 2018 charger hc, most options 73800 msrp.

Gave them the car now, waiting on 2021 redeye charger with 87800 msrp bought for 74400.

I'm happy with it.

Reactions: WVHEMIS

·
Registered
2021 Redeye Widebody Challenger
27 Posts
I’m trading my 16 challenger hellcat for a 21 challenger red eye, I already ordered it and they said around 16 weeks so in the meantime I’m planning on listing it my myself for 50-52 just to see what I can get. I’m also going to have the dealer appraise it now just to see where they land. I’m guessing around 48 so if I can’t get more on my own I’ll take their deal. In general they will try to get you to trade right away claiming that they’ll save you a grand. In the long run your grand doesn’t matter they just want to make sure you don’t back out. In the time you’re waiting for your build anything could happen to devalue your trade so they usually won’t hold a price for more than thirty days unless you wreck it smh. Then all bets are off.
Also when you get to financing, in general the dealer will not start a build until they are sure you can afford it so ending up with “no car” shouldn’t be an issue. Just watch that APR.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If they offered you $43,000 that means they're probably put it on the showroom for $53,000. Why don't you just put it up for sale yourself for $52,000 and you're probably be offered 48-$50,000. If I was to sell my car it would definitely be listed as a no test drives but I would give test rides.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
If they offered you $43,000 that means they're probably put it on the showroom for $53,000. Why don't you just put it up for sale yourself for $52,000 and you're probably be offered 48-$50,000. If I was to sell my car it would definitely be listed as a no test drives but I would give test rides.
That's the thing about selling these cars privately....I doubt a lot of people would be satisfied with just "getting a ride" in the car vs. an actual test drive. - I know I wouldn't if I'm laying out 50K plus for a car from a person I don't know at all.

- But you're right....the dealer will give you 43K for the trade, and throw it on the lot right away for 50K plus. They'll probably go down as low as 48K for the car and get a 4-5K profit. But at least you get a tax break of 43K towards your new car when you trade it in vs. selling privately.

My local dealer tried to get me to do the very same thing 2 years ago. They wanted to buy my '15 HC in perfect shape for 44K right away if I ordered a new RE from them. Problem was, they didn't want to "play ball" at all when it came to the price of a new RE order.....plus they would have cut me a check for my '15 when I traded the car in, so I'd be giving up any tax benefit towards the new car.....so it was a big "no deal" and I moved on.

- So I drove the '15 most of the summer and found a different dealer that actually wanted to deal on my trade in and a new RE in August that year....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
204 Posts
Two dealers I spoke with regarding the trade up to a Redeye Charger said that assuming "reasonable" mileage only added, that I could drive my car until the ordered one showed up, at the quoted trade-in value. They factored that into the trade-in value.
Here in Canada my near perfect 2015 Charger HC with 21k kilometres on in ( about 13,000 miles ) was worth $49k Can. But a new Redeye Charger is $110k base so with a 15% luxury car tax and a few options I would have to pay another $72k for the move up.
If I was faced with the OP's numbers I'd order one right now!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
I am struggling with trading my charger hellcat for challenger red eye that a guy ordered and didn’t take,I have bought cars from my dealer for 25 years and they said I would get smoking deal which they always do for me,the problem for me is the color,I don’t know if I would like smoke show.i know I would like the extra horses.

·
Registered
2018 Charger Hellcat
2,320 Posts
Now you have me thinking of seeing what I can now get for my 2018 & maybe get a Redeye lol

·
Premium Member
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
985 Posts
I am struggling with trading my charger hellcat for challenger red eye that a guy ordered and didn’t take,I have bought cars from my dealer for 25 years and they said I would get smoking deal which they always do for me,the problem for me is the color,I don’t know if I would like smoke show.i know I would like the extra horses.
Man! I love smoke show but only with stripes. Stripes are what makes it pop, even if just a little.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the plug and traded in my 2015 HC charger. The final deal was $30,000 with all fees, taxes etc. The strange thing is I had to sell the car on the spot. I did have the title on me and we made the sale. But I told the dealer I needed a ride home - he said no problem - I'll get you home. Once I signed the title over and paid him the deposit, he said there was no one to take me home (15 minute ride) and they could not give me a car. I was literally stuck there with my plates and the contents of the car in a plastic bag - I looked homeless. They could not care if I had to walk home. I was agitated and he finally called a cab for me - but I had to pay the $40 to get home. This is why we hate car dealers/salesmen.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
376 Posts
I pulled the plug and traded in my 2015 HC charger. The final deal was $30,000 with all fees, taxes etc. The strange thing is I had to sell the car on the spot. I did have the title on me and we made the sale. But I told the dealer I needed a ride home - he said no problem - I'll get you home. Once I signed the title over and paid him the deposit, he said there was no one to take me home (15 minute ride) and they could not give me a car. I was literally stuck there with my plates and the contents of the car in a plastic bag - I looked homeless. They could not care if I had to walk home. I was agitated and he finally called a cab for me - but I had to pay the $40 to get home. This is why we hate car dealers/salesmen.
Congrats but the finale does suck...cannot believe anything they say.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,004 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts