SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the transmission fluid on the charger hellcat? I’m over dodge and Chrysler’s bullshit saying these cars are life time guarantee...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,291 Posts
Yes, it can be done just like a normal trans fluid change on any other car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
796 Posts
Is it possible to change the transmission fluid on the charger hellcat? I’m over dodge and Chrysler’s bullshit saying these cars are life time guarantee...
Fluid on the A8s is lifetime, but there is a specific procedure if it is changed. Someone posted the procedure on YouTube.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The filter is part of the oil pan, which then would have to be changed and the fluid is very expensive. I looked into it for my Ram a few months ago and the parts alone were almost $1,000.00.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
188 Posts
The filter is part of the oil pan, which then would have to be changed and the fluid is very expensive. I looked into it for my Ram a few months ago and the parts alone were almost $1,000.00.
i looked into getting it changed in my charger as well and the dealership told me it was 900 bucks just for parts. I think the oil pan/filter was $670-ish. Crazy!

·
Registered
In The Market
1,319 Posts
Who’s lifetime. I’ll Drain/Fill about midlife. 5 years or 50k. Youtubes on this are scary as hell. Start is, raise it, shut it off, lower, raise. No way no how is any Dealer competent enough to do this. Again, drain and refill whatever amount comes out with the best Amsoil offers.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
It’s an expensive job primarily driven by the dodge brand ATF. I had the job done on the Durango version of this Trans by Aamco at 100k. The trans is built by Dodge on a license from ZF. I forget what brand ATF it is but Audi/BMW/Mercedes Benz recommended one of the name brand ATFs and they are 50% of what dodge charges. Go that route!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
Fluid on the A8s is lifetime, but there is a specific procedure if it is changed. Someone posted the procedure on YouTube.
No such thing, ZF the designer of the trans recommends a 75k service, if I recall. Dodge isn’t gaining anything by misleading consumers this way. Not sure why they are.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,069 Posts
Yes, it can be done just like a normal trans fluid change on any other car.
You've done it? Some vids on YouTube showing a very specific procedure. Not sure I'd even mess with servicing the whole thing.

Wonder if you could syphon out a few quarts and just add back in the same amount.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
You've done it? Some vids on YouTube showing a very specific procedure. Not sure I'd even mess with servicing the whole thing.

Wonder if you could syphon out a few quarts and just add back in the same amount.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No, the pan is a one time use deal. Just pay to get it done, yes pricey (see my other comments here). It’s worth the investment. Unless you are pushing serious hp or are doing a lot of towing 100k is ideal.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,319 Posts
If you hear of anyone getting this service done at Normandin in San Jose for under $1k AND without some sort of collateral damage please let me know. I’m betting on a messed up lift point or at least dash lights after the job.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
If you don’t trust a shop near you have the dealer do it. It’s worth getting it done right.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
Who’s lifetime. I’ll Drain/Fill about midlife. 5 years or 50k. Youtubes on this are scary as hell. Start is, raise it, shut it off, lower, raise. No way no how is any Dealer competent enough to do this. Again, drain and refill whatever amount comes out with the best Amsoil offers.
While I agree with you regarding the fluid being lifetime (could be the lifetime of the very expensive to repair/replace A8) I can't agree with your change procedure to simply drain some amount out and add back in the same amount using Amsoil.

You assume the two transmission fluids are miscible and that's not a safe assumption to make given how expensive the transmission is to repair/replace should the two fluids not be miscible and Amsoil fails to meet the A8 fluid requirements.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,476 Posts
When I owned a Hellcat I looked into this. There is a fluid change procedure. It is a bit involved. And I never priced one but I have read it can be expensive.

(As an aside the 6-speed manual in one of my sports cars cost over $10,000 to replace. I didn't have to pay this the replacement was covered under warranty -- thank goodness -- but the senior techs told me that was what I would have faced had I had to pay for the replacement out of pocket. I would hazard a guess the A8 in the Hellcat/RE would run around $10,000 to replace.)

I had planned on having the A8 fluid "service" done at some point but decided to trade the Hellcat in at 33 months/27.4K miles so I never actually had the A8 fluid changed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've done the fluid change in my Ram 1500 (8hp70) It's not bad at all to change, and the manufacturer of the transmission states unequivocally that the fluid is NOT lifetime and that it should be changed at 100,000 kilometers or 62,137.119 miles. I just rounded down and changed at 60k miles. That's for "normal" use. "Severe duty" recommended change is at 60,000 kilometers or 37,282.272 miles. I will be changing the fluid in my cars transmission at 40k miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts