1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3066B20C-62B8-44E8-9FB4-D3393BCD03DC.jpeg
EB491C66-797B-4FBB-B7F7-1F203DB8802A.jpeg
First, thank you all! I was way more educated than on any other car thanks to this forum and thus more confident! I got to hang out with the Viper Tech and he gave me the full educational process. He even pointed out how uneducated techs break the oil cooler so I read him excerpts from this forum about techs busting them! He installed Powerstops and I am very happy with their performance. I don’t notice a difference from Brembo pads. He loved my UPR Catch Can in the passenger side setup and how easy the access and connection points are. He suggested something that I wanted to mention cause I’ve yet to read about this on the forum. He recommended looking at the one piece McGard lugnuts. So, I’ll be buying those soon along with a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. He uses Matco but said the other will do the job and save me a couple hundred. Most fun I’ve ever had servicing a car!! Next up will be changing diff fluid and he told the gal to order the Chrysler product over some other product they normally use, maybe BF or BG? Again, thank you all!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,198 Posts
Nice, I am interested in more info on those lug nuts if you can post it with pictures if you can. As far as impact wrench goes the Ingersol Rand is fine as well. Had mine for three years. Rarely needs a charge and it holds forever. It got a Buick 455 crank bolt off an engine that was on for over 45 years. Never thought that was possible from a battery gun. Crazy! Only downside is no drive light on my IR. I don’t really miss it though. I have heard the Mikwaukee and Dewalt will all do the same job. My suspicion is they are all made at the same China factories by 10 year olds. Check internet for best price. Some good deals out there.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,198 Posts
Do you think you can change your own oil now? Well worth the effort. Sounds like you got a good tech anyway. Too many bad stories for me to let anyone touch my car except for stuff I can’t do.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, I am interested in more info on those lug nuts if you can post it with pictures if you can. As far as impact wrench goes the Ingersol Rand is fine as well. Had mine for three years. Rarely needs a charge and it holds forever. It got a Buick 455 crank bolt off an engine that was on for over 45 years. Never thought that was possible from a battery gun. Crazy! Only downside is no drive light on my IR. I don’t really miss it though. I have heard the Mikwaukee and Dewalt will all do the same job. My suspicion is they are all made at the same China factories by 10 year olds. Check internet for best price. Some good deals out there.
I noticed the Ingersol Rand so thanks for vouching for them. I’ll look deeper. These are the ones I think I’ll be getting. I’ve had black ones on a couple cars but they mar and then show rust so I’m sticking with the chrome look. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C5SFQBI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think you can change your own oil now? Well worth the effort. Sounds like you got a good tech anyway. Too many bad stories for me to let anyone touch my car except for stuff I can’t do.
Actually I do!! But I’d want a lift, which I hope will be forthcoming when I close on a townhouse with a 3 car garage later this year. In the meantime, I bought a 3 pack of oil changes/tire rotations while there yesterday for $195 so I’m only spending like $10 per for the labor.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
171 Posts
One of my Mopar buds who owns a Viper told me the same thing about the lug nuts....curious.

Jealous that you got a Viper tech! When I go my first oil change I got the runaround from different service advisors about how it was to be done.
#1 said: "bring it in, no appointment needed, unless its a Hellcat....then it has to go into the shop"
#2 said: "oh hi, you're here. Oh...you didn't need an appointment, just go over to the quick lube line over there"
Service manager said: "yes, it goes into the shop, please wait"
Tech came to get the car said: "oh I'm just doing the recall, the oil change is done over on the quick lube side"

Went up to the front and got a manager I know...who owns a Viper and a Hellcat...HE straightened it out. Never got to watch the tech though. Grrrrr.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my Mopar buds who owns a Viper told me the same thing about the lug nuts....curious.

Jealous that you got a Viper tech! When I go my first oil change I got the runaround from different service advisors about how it was to be done.
#1 said: "bring it in, no appointment needed, unless its a Hellcat....then it has to go into the shop"
#2 said: "oh hi, you're here. Oh...you didn't need an appointment, just go over to the quick lube line over there"
Service manager said: "yes, it goes into the shop, please wait"
Tech came to get the car said: "oh I'm just doing the recall, the oil change is done over on the quick lube side"

Went up to the front and got a manager I know...who owns a Viper and a Hellcat...HE straightened it out. Never got to watch the tech though. Grrrrr.
Not only is this guy a Viper tech he owns a Viper and comes from the performance world. His next stop, he hopes, is working for a racing team. So, he understands the fine line between staying stock for warranty and modifying that may and may not be worth considering given my desires.

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
40 Posts
View attachment 523847 View attachment 523845 First, thank you all! I was way more educated than on any other car thanks to this forum and thus more confident! I got to hang out with the Viper Tech and he gave me the full educational process. He even pointed out how uneducated techs break the oil cooler so I read him excerpts from this forum about techs busting them! He installed Powerstops and I am very happy with their performance. I don’t notice a difference from Brembo pads. He loved my UPR Catch Can in the passenger side setup and how easy the access and connection points are. He suggested something that I wanted to mention cause I’ve yet to read about this on the forum. He recommended looking at the one piece McGard lugnuts. So, I’ll be buying those soon along with a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench. He uses Matco but said the other will do the job and save me a couple hundred. Most fun I’ve ever had servicing a car!! Next up will be changing diff fluid and he told the gal to order the Chrysler product over some other product they normally use, maybe BF or BG? Again, thank you all!!
Any pictures of the oil cooler so I can understand the risk here? I am getting ready for my first post delivery oil change myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,260 Posts
Any pictures of the oil cooler so I can understand the risk here? I am getting ready for my first post delivery oil change myself. Thanks.
It's not really a big deal. Just make sure you have a wrench/backing behind the drain nut when loosing and tightening it. This Video will help.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
227 Posts
It' because of the cheap chrome covers over the lug nuts. Take them off/on a few times and that cover will start to deform making it almost impossible to get a socket or wrench on them. On my Ram, I ended up pounding an impact socket onto them to get them off, and replacing them. One time they were fine, next time I went to pull the wheels it was hosed

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
40 Posts
It' because of the cheap chrome covers over the lug nuts. Take them off/on a few times and that cover will start to deform making it almost impossible to get a socket or wrench on them. On my Ram, I ended up pounding an impact socket onto them to get them off, and replacing them. One time they were fine, next time I went to pull the wheels it was hosed
I'm going to check out those McGard lug nuts as well. Good tip, thanks!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where and how does one find a "Viper tech"?

JFF
I guess some dealers have some and others don’t. Maybe call around? I got lucky as long as he stays there!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,198 Posts
The oil cooler is a piece of cake. Grab the square block with a big adjustable wrench while loosening the plug. It should not be very tight.

·
Registered
In The Market
1,260 Posts
Where and how does one find a "Viper tech"? JFF
The conversation usually goes like this...
Phone call to Dodge Dealer...
Hey, I got some dude on the phone asking if we have a Viper Tech....

After laughing dies down...Johnny you going to be the Viper tech today?

Nahh let, Jim Bob, he's been here two weeks longer.

Back to phone....yea we got one...bring it down.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,267 Posts
The conversation usually goes like this...
Hey, I got some dude on the phone asking if we have a Viper Tech....

After laughing dies down...Johnny you going to be the Viper tech today?

Nahh let, Jim Bob, he's been here two weeks longer.

Back to phone....yea we got one...bring it down.
Slight amendment:

Hey, I got some dude on the phone asking if we have a Viper Tech....what is a Viper?

Reactions: Greengohellcat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,198 Posts
I spoke with two techs from the local Dodge Dealer at Arby’s during lunch. I asked them if they were getting a lot of Hellcats in for the cruise control re-call. All I got was “Huh? What?”

1 - 20 of 23 Posts