SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I assume this is probably the best place for this thread.

I am now ready to seek out a tuner/shop to assist in my quest for my car to make more power.

My goal is to make more "safe" power on pump gas (91 octane) or possibly more power on available Flex-Fuel or limited availability of E85. (775-850 RWHP).

Unlike the east side of the US, there are limited shops in the Southwest/West Coast; I will have to use the remote tune option. I am in Arizona.

With exception of JLT CAI, I have not bought any parts that would be associated with any specific higher horsepower tune/package; will discuss with tuner/shop and then purchase remaining parts as needed.

I'll be ordering a driveshaft as soon as I figure out which brand to buy.

I have the DIRS difff brace, Carlyle Demon Killer springs, JLT Oil Catch Cans, Weld Alumistar fronts/Weld S71 Beadlock Rears, and M/T 305 Drag Radials.

I'm lookng for an honest and reputable tuner/shop that can meet my goals. I have a shop in mind locally, but want to see what else is out there in Arizona and across the nation.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hello, I also live here in AZ. I am doing most if the mods myself. I am using OST DYNO for my tuning. Mike is real good there. He has his own hellcat and it runs real fast, in the low 9's I think. Hopefully I will get my PCM back Tuesday from him with the new race tune. I have run 11 flat @ 127 all stock engine with all the mods you have done at Wild horse pass. CCI Drivelines are the best in my opinion, but they don't have any right now... I have an 18 cat and the 15-17 are faster. I also use 100 octane gas at the track. Mike will give you a great 91 tune. The transmission tune is very important too. With the better air and the new tune hopefully I can run 10.70's I will see next Saturday or the following Friday... SRT AUTOMOTIVE is ok shop, I just like doing things myself, and I run ok times. So I think you can do everything you need to do yourself, it's not that hard, and I am 60... lol. Good luck with your car and have fun...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, I also live here in AZ. I am doing most if the mods myself. I am using OST DYNO for my tuning. Mike is real good there. He has his own hellcat and it runs real fast, in the low 9's I think. Hopefully I will get my PCM back Tuesday from him with the new race tune. I have run 11 flat @ 127 all stock engine with all the mods you have done at Wild horse pass. CCI Drivelines are the best in my opinion, but they don't have any right now... I have an 18 cat and the 15-17 are faster. I also use 100 octane gas at the track. Mike will give you a great 91 tune. The transmission tune is very important too. With the better air and the new tune hopefully I can run 10.70's I will see next Saturday or the following Friday... SRT AUTOMOTIVE is ok shop, I just like doing things myself, and I run ok times. So I think you can do everything you need to do yourself, it's not that hard, and I am 60... lol. Good luck with your car and have fun...
Tucothelegend,

Thank you for the info. Sounds like you’re right there beating on the 10-sec door.

I too like to tinker and have the mechanical ability to work on the car, install parts, etc. However, at the moment I’m unable to do so due to a nasty motocross accident I was involved in 3 months ago. I am still rehabbing and will be for quite a few more months.

CCI is the driveshaft I am most interested in, and 1 other but can’t remember the name; Wiles I think? I definitely don’t want to spend money for a vibration shaft. That’s a lot of money to be disappointed.

I have consulted with SRT. I’ve also been paying attention to OST Dyno, so I was glad to hear you’re using them and feeling great about your tune and how the car performs.

My car is a ‘16 and M6 trans. I’m also planning to add the McLeod clutch. I’m 53, so you’re not that much older than me. but it’s good to hear you love swinging wrenches. I’m not a fan of paying someone for something I can normally do myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Talk to Curt @ Dusteroff Tuning, he's one of the best out there in my opinion. I did all my own installation and had him do the tune. He set me up with a flex, E85 race only and did the transmission tunes. Have had the car 10.14 @ 6600 DA spinning through the 60ft.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Talk to Curt @ Dusteroff Tuning, he's one of the best out there in my opinion. I did all my own installation and had him do the tune. He set me up with a flex, E85 race only and did the transmission tunes. Have had the car 10.14 @ 6600 DA spinning through the 60ft.
With the E85 race tune, do you swap the pulley to go back to 93 pump gas? Was your tuning done remotely or in person?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes I go down to a 2.5 pulley on E85 and up to 2.85 for the flex. Tuning was all done remotely.
I’m guessing you have to drain your tank fully when switching fuel or run it near empty? Have you had anything negative about this set up? I wasn’t aware there was a flex fuel tune available.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes I run it down to just under 1/4 tank and drain the rest out at the rail feed line with an adapter I made for the fitting and fuel pump relay. Works pretty good, can change fuel, pulley and tune in 20 mins. I have run both E98 and 85, the car seems to run better closer to 85% ethanol. We don't have E85 at the pump here so I get drums of E98 and mix it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is there really a low number count of members who are using a tuner professional, or is this just taboo, and no one wants to share experiences? I appreciate those who’ve come forward to share, but I assumed there would be much more input. Maybe it’s because many members are hesitant to void their warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 17 HC Challenger, in the Houston area. I have been looking at Tuners as well, across the Nation, and OST always seems to be mentioned (NEVER Negative); so that's who I will go with....I started data logging (HP Tuner) so I will at least have a fundamental understanding of what's changing in the Tune. Mike uses Hp tuners, so that's what I am trying to learn. I primarily (right now) participate in standing Mile events and 2 years ago installed an Aluminum DS from Livernois MotorSports, along with the latest Diff Brace and have had my HC to speeds over 185 MPH many times with ZERO vibration. I am an "Old School" drag racer (61) trying to learn all the new stuff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 17 HC Challenger, in the Houston area. I have been looking at Tuners as well, across the Nation, and OST always seems to be mentioned (NEVER Negative); so that's who I will go with....I started data logging (HP Tuner) so I will at least have a fundamental understanding of what's changing in the Tune. Mike uses Hp tuners, so that's what I am trying to learn. I primarily (right now) participate in standing Mile events and 2 years ago installed an Aluminum DS from Livernois MotorSports, along with the latest Diff Brace and have had my HC to speeds over 185 MPH many times with ZERO vibration. I am an "Old School" drag racer (61) trying to learn all the new stuff.
Bubs,

Thank you. I've been doing quite a bit of reading as well, and also noticed the same with OST. Speedy caught my attention on his channel about the HP Tuner stuff, and like you I'm an old school drag racer. I like that HP Tuner allows you to see everything and make changes if needed. I haven't called OST yet. One of our local guys who deals with these Hellcats uses Tim Barth. It'll be just a bit longer before I decide, but its definitely something I'm going to be doing. Did you order your HP Tuner from a vendor here (you can PM me if you'd like).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just recommending ADS (Automotive Diagnostic Specialties) on Chandler Blvd, Chandler. They have a Mustang dyno and do a lot of race car/dune buggy tuning. Ask for Greg the owner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bubs,

Thank you. I've been doing quite a bit of reading as well, and also noticed the same with OST. Speedy caught my attention on his channel about the HP Tuner stuff, and like you I'm an old school drag racer. I like that HP Tuner allows you to see everything and make changes if needed. I haven't called OST yet. One of our local guys who deals with these Hellcats uses Tim Barth. It'll be just a bit longer before I decide, but its definitely something I'm going to be doing. Did you order your HP Tuner from a vendor here (you can PM me if you'd like).
I actually ordered the HP tuner from Mike at OST, with zero credits (a credit is basically a license to be able to tune one car..if you have several different cars to tune, then you would need as many credits as you have cars....at least that's the way I understand it) and since I am just data logging now, no credits are necessary.....but Mike also sells individual credits as well, which I plan on doing later. Yeah, I am big fan of Speedy....he has been very slow on his mods, and researches everything....a great source of info..... Mike also has been working with several other HC owners that also run at The Texas Mile, and they do very well. Running a mile (35 seconds or so) as compared to a Quarter Mile (10 seconds) at WOT and not trashing a motor takes a good Tuner. Mike was also available during the event, to be able to tweak the Tunes for these other HC owners via e-mail tunes, which is awesome. The other tuner you mentioned... no names; was to busy to help with another friend's HC during the event, which was not good.....I know everyone is busy etc etc, and Mike may be unavailable as well sometime....I am just relaying my personal experience. Also different Tuners use different Tuning platforms...ie HP vs Diablo, so that's a choice you need to make as well (it will be determined by whoever you use for your Tuner)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I actually ordered the HP tuner from Mike at OST, with zero credits (a credit is basically a license to be able to tune one car..if you have several different cars to tune, then you would need as many credits as you have cars....at least that's the way I understand it) and since I am just data logging now, no credits are necessary.....but Mike also sells individual credits as well, which I plan on doing later. Yeah, I am big fan of Speedy....he has been very slow on his mods, and researches everything....a great source of info..... Mike also has been working with several other HC owners that also run at The Texas Mile, and they do very well. Running a mile (35 seconds or so) as compared to a Quarter Mile (10 seconds) at WOT and not trashing a motor takes a good Tuner. Mike was also available during the event, to be able to tweak the Tunes for these other HC owners via e-mail tunes, which is awesome. The other tuner you mentioned... no names; was to busy to help with another friend's HC during the event, which was not good.....I know everyone is busy etc etc, and Mike may be unavailable as well sometime....I am just relaying my personal experience. Also different Tuners use different Tuning platforms...ie HP vs Diablo, so that's a choice you need to make as well (it will be determined by whoever you use for your Tuner)
Bubs,

I’ll probably roll with OST/Mike and HP Tuner. I like everything I’ve read about the business/owner/tuner. I also like the ability to make changes myself without waiting on an “individual” who might or might not be available when I really need them. I do understand people get busy. I definitely like getting “good customer service AFTER the sale.” I have too many friends who’ve spent THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS with businesses and when they need help due to problems they can’t even get an email or phone call returned, which IS bullshit! Lastly, I really don’t want to be using different fuels that are not easily accessible at the pump near my home. I have to run on 91. I’ll give OST a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bubs,

I’ll probably roll with OST/Mike and HP Tuner. I like everything I’ve read about the business/owner/tuner. I also like the ability to make changes myself without waiting on an “individual” who might or might not be available when I really need them. I do understand people get busy. I definitely like getting “good customer service after the sale.” I have too many friends who’ve spent THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS with businesses and when they need help due to problems they can’t even get an email or phone call returned, which IS bullshit! Lastly, I really don’t want to be using different fuels that are not easily accessible at the pump near my home. I’ll give OST a call.
I agree!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Forgot to ask you. What fuel octane are you using on the street and at the mile races?
I don't have a tune yet, so I use 93 on the street; however at the Texas Mile, I use VP MS109 (the organizers sell it at cost at the event)....mix it half and half with 93......I don't think it helps a lot (maybe 1-2 mph), however it doesn't hurt and it acts as a safeguard. At higher temperatures (which it was at this last Texas Mile in October...94 degrees) the PCM would probably have pulled some timing to protect the engine, however with the higher octane there wasn't any issues. In another thread on this Forum (don't remember the exact one) but Mike at OST, highly recommenced mixing unleaded race fuel with pump gas to ensure a high octane, since he has seen issues with pump gas. But other "experts" on this forum claim its a waste of money... since the HCs are tuned for 91 from the factory.....I prefer to be conservative.....I have read more real experts on here recommend it, so that's what I went with. I plan on having multiple tunes, for whatever event I plan on participating in. I don't want to go with E-85, just for the quality issues....I have several friends running it and the fuel varies from E-75 to E-90, so they are always having to check the fuel at fill ups....too much trouble for me.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts