SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering for people that tuned their vehicles and had to pass emission testing if there were any issues. I plan on getting an HHP tune package (keeping it modest) with an upper, injectors and tune. With EPA cracking down on tuners and state laws being what they are, wondering how this might play out in the future. I live in NJ who only have emission testing. Will increasing HP change the emission output to levels that will fail me or will that depend on the tuners ability to keep everything safe? Apologize if this has been already discussed. Anyone in NJ or any other state with a modded car that went through inspection care to chime in? Or even a tuner for that matter. Do tuners monitor emission output when they do in house installs?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,396 Posts
Just wondering for people that tuned their vehicles and had to pass emission testing if there were any issues. I plan on getting an HHP tune package (keeping it modest) with an upper, injectors and tune. With EPA cracking down on tuners and state laws being what they are, wondering how this might play out in the future. I live in NJ who only have emission testing. Will increasing HP change the emission output to levels that will fail me or will that depend on the tuners ability to keep everything safe? Apologize if this has been already discussed. Anyone in NJ or any other state with a modded car that went through inspection care to chime in? Or even a tuner for that matter. Do tuners monitor emission output when they do in house installs?
it depends. Not familiar with NJ and its emission testing procedures.

CA used to sample the exhaust gas -- at two different RPM levels -- to confirm the engine was compliant. Besides this readiness monitors had to be set to complete and of course the CEL had to be off. And there could be no permanent OBD2 error codes.

But a few years back CA moved away from sampling the exhaust gas to just connecting the car to some computer.

The computer I'm sure checks for any active OBD2 error codes, status of the readiness monitors, how long it had been since any error codes had been cleared, and checks if the factory engine controller image had been modified.

Thus an engine controller with any "tune" applied would probably be rejected, failed.

NJ probably has a web site which provides some info on what is checked.

Yes, here's what I found: "The On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test reads a computer system in your vehicle to identify engine related problems that may result in the increase of harmful pollutant emissions. By maintaining your vehicle, you can help improve New Jersey’s air quality."

·
Registered
18 Charger Hellcat
183 Posts
No issues passing emissions with previously tuned vehicles including a few cam'd cars. I havent taken my Hellcat through since its not due till 2023. As long as you have cats, no CEL on, and no ECU readiness issues you should be good to go. Yes, I am in NJ.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
No issues passing emissions with previously tuned vehicles including a few cam'd cars. I havent taken my Hellcat through since its not due till 2023. As long as you have cats, no CEL on, and no ECU readiness issues you should be good to go. Yes, I am in NJ.
Reads like NJ is not that strict when it comes to a tune. The odds are then the OP will have no problem at least from the presence of a tune.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it depends. Not familiar with NJ and its emission testing procedures.

CA used to sample the exhaust gas -- at two different RPM levels -- to confirm the engine was compliant. Besides this readiness monitors had to be set to complete and of course the CEL had to be off. And there could be no permanent OBD2 error codes.

But a few years back CA moved away from sampling the exhaust gas to just connecting the car to some computer.

The computer I'm sure checks for any active OBD2 error codes, status of the readiness monitors, how long it had been since any error codes had been cleared, and checks if the factory engine controller image had been modified.

Thus an engine controller with any "tune" applied would probably be rejected, failed.

NJ probably has a web site which provides some info on what is checked.

Yes, here's what I found: "The On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test reads a computer system in your vehicle to identify engine related problems that may result in the increase of harmful pollutant emissions. By maintaining your vehicle, you can help improve New Jersey’s air quality."
Are you saying that CA checked if the ECM was modified or had permanent OBD2 codes? Wonder if any states do that. I got to be honest the last time I tuned a car and had to deal with emmission/state inspection prior to getting my Hellcat was in 1992. So It's been a while. I just want to make sure that if I tune the car with a reputable shop that knows what they are doing I am able to have a legal car that I can drive in the road without having to stress about failing inspection. The news that has been going around regarding EPA crackdowns over the years is not reassuring. I mean I have no plans on going catless or anything similar to defeat emissions. But I have to think in today's world that it is a slippery slope and not a far fetched scenario when any "tune" or alteration to factory settings is deemed a fail. Just wanted to make sure that we are not there yet and as long as my "tune" kept me within state emission standards I am able to drive. So it looks like my fellow New Jerseyan YMMV had no issues.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
564 Posts
I will be able to see what results come back when my car is completed next month, our NOVA county has required bi-annual emissions test and I chose to not go catless or even hi flow since they are still marked off highway use and I do not want to have to swap anything back and forth just to get test passed.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Are you saying that CA checked if the ECM was modified or had permanent OBD2 codes? Wonder if any states do that. I got to be honest the last time I tuned a car and had to deal with emmission/state inspection prior to getting my Hellcat was in 1992. So It's been a while. I just want to make sure that if I tune the car with a reputable shop that knows what they are doing I am able to have a legal car that I can drive in the road without having to stress about failing inspection. The news that has been going around regarding EPA crackdowns over the years is not reassuring. I mean I have no plans on going catless or anything similar to defeat emissions. But I have to think in today's world that it is a slippery slope and not a far fetched scenario when any "tune" or alteration to factory settings is deemed a fail. Just wanted to make sure that we are not there yet and as long as my "tune" kept me within state emission standards I am able to drive. So it looks like my fellow New Jerseyan YMMV had no issues.
Do not know if CA does the ECM modification check or not. But if not it allows for a substantial "loop hole" in the process.

Might mention back in 2010 (or thereabouts) I worked on an OBD2 plug in device which "checked" emissions. This for CARB. (CA Air Resources Board)

The requirements were to query the PCM for a variety of info including calibration IDs and calibration verification numbers which could be used to detect "PCM" tampering.

I did not analyze or process the data. I simply stored the data and then submitted it when requested via a communication link with a computer.

BTW, you don't have to remove the converters to violate federal (and maybe some state) emissions laws. Just a modification the car's ECM, its software, via a "tune", is a violation of federal emissions laws.

·
Registered
18 Charger Hellcat
183 Posts
Like I said, these were with previous cars and not the Hellcat. Some were through private inspections vs the Motor vehicle ones.

Though we have that hard fault code from pulling the ECM, our CEL stays off with that specific code stored in the system. I mean ECU's do go bad, albeit not very often. I have also pulled ECU's on plenty of cars for repairs, esp if we have to replace upper rails, A pillars, replace engine harnesses, and cowl panels (I am in the auto body industry).

I am not sure how specific Motor vehicle's scanners/software are and, if that will even show that specific code. Some of the generic scanners will have a hard time giving specific info on certain codes if its not manufacture specific.

From what I know or have experienced, they look for codes (obviously), will stick a mirror under the car looking for cats, and check any readiness issues in the system (which happens if you clear codes or disconnect the battery, ie).

Most NJ hellcat owners I know don't even own the car long enough to even deal with inspections. Since I bought mine new, I have a 5yr wait. Who knows if I will even still have the car when its that time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Literally went through state inspection today for the first time (2016), no issues. Just have a CAI, Vibrant mids, diff brace and catch can. Was planning on going private but could not find anyone to do it today. My warranty has officially expired as well. Was going to go the tuning route, but like I said I dont want the hassle with inspections. I appreciate the responses guys, I figured there would be more. I am planning on keeping the cat for a long time and would not mind turning up the HP now..but not if it will be a problem later goi through inspection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts