SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to understand how a vehicle is tuned after the mods are installed, say a pulley swap and injectors etc. Does the tuner begin with the stock tune and run the car as is and then modify based on how it runs? Or do they begin writing a new tune before the car Is even started after the mods are installed? Old guy coming from a carbureted world so this is very new to me! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If one was tuning themself they would start with the stock file. Then you would plug in known values that need to be changed such as the injectors flow data. Then you would run it and adjust accordingly. Similar to running a carburated engine then changing the jets as needed.

A tuning company most likely has a base tune file that they have used on similar builds then they tune from that, instead of starting from the stock file.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking to understand how a vehicle is tuned after the mods are installed, say a pulley swap and injectors etc. Does the tuner begin with the stock tune and run the car as is and then modify based on how it runs? Or do they begin writing a new tune before the car Is even started after the mods are installed? Old guy coming from a carbureted world so this is very new to me! Thanks everyone.
There are two different types of Tuners:
1. Remote tuners that use your stock file and then modify and you or your shop uploads to your car..etc.. rinse and repeat
2. Hands On: tuners wants you to drop off or ship your car to them, thus allowing them to build, tune, race, document the time slips and videos and then ship back to you

My opinion to you; make sure you select a tuner that owns and races our car. Then someone that has built our cars and then tunes. Some of these remote tuners are just computer people and just remote tuners.

Also make sure your tuner tunes your injectors (ID or FIC), which software they use (HP or Diablo) and fuel (Ethonal or Q16).

Top 2 tuners in my opinion...IN NO ORDER and these guys can do anything.

* AJ B. - Hemituner Performance
  • Prefers ID injectors but can do FIC
  • Both software
  • Both fuels
* Josh - HHP
  • Prefers ID injectors but can do FIC
  • Diablo preferred
  • Prefers Q16 fuel

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
254 Posts
Some mods, like injectors for example, will require that a tune with the appropriate (or close) changes is loaded before the vehicle may even fire up.
If adding a blower to an N/A car which requires changing the MAP sensor, again, that will need to be calibrated in the tune before the car will even start and run.

In regards to a Hellcat, most mods you can apply will still allow the vehicle to run on the stock tune (pulley, CAI, headers, etc) but should still be accounted for in the tune to deal with increased airflow, potential codes, etc.

As previously mentioned, 9/10 of the good tuners will have a base file they can load that will get it pretty close based on experience with other tunes/vehicles...unless you come up with some off the wall combo that nobody has tested :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Agree with @MKL_DS but just one note; you spent good money on the car. Please get a shop and/or a tuner to help you modify these cars. I see so many people that blow up their blowers and motor and waste +10k because they think a friend or themselves can modify our cars.

But select a good tuner that owns, drives, races and mechanically knows our cars.

Reactions: Speedfreak93

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
254 Posts
Yup, even if you've tuned a few GMs and or Fords in the past, learning to tune these PCMs on a 700 HP motor is a terrible idea in my book.
You don't try to fix yourself when you don't feel well, you go to a doctor because he is a pro.
You don't represent yourself in court because you don't know all the technicalities and details of the law.
Same should be considered when tuning your prized possessions ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts