SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger Redeye in Indigo Blue
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious… I ordered my Redeye without navigation. No regrets and use CarPlay with zero issues. If I wanted to add navigation would the entire head unit need to be replaced or is it as simple (relatively speaking) as the dealer just adding the software?

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Hellcat, Sinamon Stick
19 Posts
Get navigation.. I have it on all my vehicles..I believe the whole unit has to be replaced as the dealer just replaced my radio and said the radio was navigation specific
The whole unit does not need to be replaced. I ordered my 2022 without NAV because I did not believe it was worth the $995. Instead, I bought and installed an Android/ CarPlay Multimedia Adapter that has it's own GPS Antenna (installed antenna in dash), SIMM 4G Slot, WiFi, and SD Slot. Basically this device willemulate a CarPlay compatible iPhone and the Android interface will be displayed on the uConnect 8.4 screen whenever CarPlay is selected from uConnect. It can run any app in the PlayStore including Nav (Waze/Google Maps/Igo) in an offline mode using the dedicated GPS antenna. Additionally, music files stored on the SD card can be played using any music management app. All steering wheel audio controls are retained and the system can switch back to uConnect interface by with one button press.
Vision care Eyewear Gadget Audio equipment Electrical wiring
Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Car Trunk Personal luxury car Automotive exterior Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 Redeye Super Stock
1,075 Posts
Man the resale value when you sale the car will be worth more than the $995. I bet. I rarely use mine, but the first questions asked from dealers or buyers (if and when you sale) are “does it have leather, nav, sunroof, upgraded sound system?” But if it’s a keeper for you, and you have zero desire for it…It’s your car man! Get (or not) what you want.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,529 Posts
The OEM navigation is terrible & very slow....stick with your phone instead

I have UConnect 5 though in my Pacifica now and it's waaaay better than the Nav that was in the Charger/Challenger's older UConnect 8.4 system

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,445 Posts
The whole unit does not need to be replaced. I ordered my 2022 without NAV because I did not believe it was worth the $995. Instead, I bought and installed an Android/ CarPlay Multimedia Adapter that has it's own GPS Antenna (installed antenna in dash), SIMM 4G Slot, WiFi, and SD Slot. Basically this device willemulate a CarPlay compatible iPhone and the Android interface will be displayed on the uConnect 8.4 screen whenever CarPlay is selected from uConnect. It can run any app in the PlayStore including Nav (Waze/Google Maps/Igo) in an offline mode using the dedicated GPS antenna. Additionally, music files stored on the SD card can be played using any music management app. All steering wheel audio controls are retained and the system can switch back to uConnect interface by with one button press. View attachment 594550 View attachment 594551 View attachment 594552 View attachment 594553 0
Now the real question - was that more than $995 all in? And what are the advantages over a wireless dongle for roughly $100? -Aside from no phone needed which almost everyone has now anyway.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Hellcat, Sinamon Stick
19 Posts
Now the real question - was that more than $995 all in? And what are the advantages over a wireless dongle for roughly $100? -Aside from no phone needed which almost everyone has now anyway.
My total cost in was $240
Font Gadget Communication Device Screenshot Electronic device
The major advantages (as my opinion) are the ability to use any app for Android (Nav/Music) and the option to run split screen. Being able to use WiFi is convenient to download music files and the 4G SIMM allows me to choose which cellular carrier I want. It is also very simple and instant to toggle between uConnect and the Android/CarPlay.

Installation could be as simple or custom as you want, it only requires USB connection and 12v Aux power -possible to just set it in the center console and choose the option in settings to use the cars GPS signal. I feel like this device offers more flexibility than the $995 NAV option, just my opinion.
Gadget Font Technology Display device Electronic device
Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device Gadget Font
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Grey

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,445 Posts
My total cost in was $240 View attachment 594630 The major advantages (as my opinion) are the ability to use any app for Android (Nav/Music) and the option to run split screen. Being able to use WiFi is convenient to download music files and the 4G SIMM allows me to choose which cellular carrier I want. It is also very simple and instant to toggle between uConnect and the Android/CarPlay.

Installation could be as simple or custom as you want, it only requires USB connection and 12v Aux power -possible to just set it in the center console and choose the option in settings to use the cars GPS signal. I feel like this device offers more flexibility than the $995 NAV option, just my opinion. View attachment 594633 View attachment 594634 View attachment 594635
I think I must not be following everything correctly. The old “it’s not you it’s me” thing here lol. Maybe because I solely listen to the music on my phone and never use an external source for music I’m not quite seeing the value over a wireless dongle for less like the one I use. Although being able to use any app and not just the ones they choose for you is a def benefit. Interesting option for sure, thx for posting.

Reactions: optout

·
Registered
446 Posts
for what its worth, I had a 99 Porsche 911 ordered with the Porsche PCM1 Navigation, fast forward to today's time (I just sold it) it was kind of neat having that old quirky 90's Gen 1 Navigation. So yes Dodge's system suck ass, but when these cars are classics its going to be a selling feature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts