SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just got off the phone with Uconnect via Dodge Customer service. So my 8.4" touchscreen is 40% delaminated. It's a 2017 Scat with 33K miles that was purchased with 2000 miles. The agent said that since the car was pre owned that she could not refer me directly to a dealership for any repairs. She did say that if I had the repairs done and submitted my receipts that they would reimburse me a percentage of the bill. OK fine. I asked what the percentage might be for my case? She did not know - not her area. OK, can you call Reimbursements and give me an idea? So she called while I was put on hold. The answer was that reimbursement is on a case by case basis and they cannot give me an estimate of the amount they would cover. Well, can I speak with Reimbursements? No you cannot. Well you have not given my any direction or useful information on a path forward. What other recourse do I have to get an estimate? You would have to leave your phone # and a supervisor can call you the following business day (OK I'm traveling tomorrow, so I'll have to call back again next week and start again - I do have a case #). If they would simply give me an estimate based on the detailed information I provided that would be fine. 50% would be fine. Instead a vague promise to repay an unknown percentage when they know the dealer bill is going to be just north of $2000 to replace the head. It's not like it's the first call - multiple thousands of these units are going bad. This should be a recall and depending on how it malfunctions it is a potential safety issue as well. If someone backs over a neighbor's child because the back up camera has malfunctioned due to a known systemic issue with no recall then will there be a lawsuit to settle? Yes of course. Very frustrating to not be able to obtain any useful information.
Latest info from FCA customer care is that they will cover 0% of any repairs for a delaminated touchscreen that is out of warranty even with the 33K miles. They don't have any recall information (and I don't expect there will be one). So the official word is that you are on your own to have the head replaced or locate a screen to do it yourself if you are lucky enough to find one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, it's very frustrating when I can't find the replacement parts either. That's not a Dodge problem but a Covid problem. The 2K to replace the whole head doesn't mean much to me but it's the principle of not doing a recall. I was going to order a Hellcat but if they won't recall a known issue like this then what type of support can I expect when I shell out 85K for a Hellcat. Yea, I know all cars have problems but when they make a change in the technology and don't support it when it flops then it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. GM has committed 1.8 billion to replace defective batteries in the Bolt. Sad that LG made both the batteries that catch on fire and these touchscreens. Oh well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curious how many have had the Uconnect screen delamination issue and what you did to get it resolved. My 2018 Challenger Hellcat delaminated randomly last week and it also doesn’t seem to work properly anymore. My Apple car play flickers between the Apple interface and the Uconnect interface and doesn’t work properly when I answer calls now.

My car only has has 3300 miles on it but is out of warranty as of April of this year. I’ve read this is a widespread issue. I tried to reach out to Dodge Cares here but they didn’t respond. I’m not willing to spend over $1000 to have this pile of junk screen replaced out of pocket and then have it happen again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
View attachment 581821

·
Registered
46 Posts
Curious how many have had the Uconnect screen delamination issue and what you did to get it resolved. My 2018 Challenger Hellcat delaminated randomly last week and it also doesn’t seem to work properly anymore. My Apple car play flickers between the Apple interface and the Uconnect interface and doesn’t work properly when I answer calls now.

My car only has has 3300 miles on it but is out of warranty as of April of this year. I’ve read this is a widespread issue. I tried to reach out to Dodge Cares here but they didn’t respond. I’m not willing to spend over $1000 to have this pile of junk screen replaced out of pocket and then have it happen again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
View attachment 581821
Mine started delaminating early this year. Then started randomly rebooting itself. Especially annoying when it does it as your staging the car. Stellantis covered the part, I paid the labor ($170) in June. Mines a 2017 with 21k. Had to explain how I knew how much of an problem they were, then they were pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got my delaminated screen replaced today. Mine was a 2017 Scat with 33K and was told by Customer care that I was on my own. Went to Lake Keowee Dodge in Seneca SC last week. They looked and said you need a new touch screen - your out of warranty. Do you want us to order the part? Quoted me $950 plus tax for the part ($200 deposit) and 2 hours to install. I said yes, please order the part. They had the new head in 2 days. Took about an hour to install and program and that's what they charged me for labor wise. So with taxes and an environmental fee it took the total to $1174. Actually felt good about that. I have seen some higher prices for the entire UConnect Touchscreen replacement in searching online. They also mentioned that if they break a retainer clip or damage the dash insert that is removed that the part costs $1200!! They claimed their tech had snapped off one retainer clip that required a new insert to be ordered but has since perfected the removal technique and has done over a hundred without breaking anything. As info, the E bay screen replacement seller contacted me over the weekend and said his latest shipment was due today. That link is listed earlier in this thread. That's $650 for the screen only which is all that's really required. The screens were back ordered and I finally just ran out of patience and threw in the towel and went with the dealer. If you need a screen to DIY try him ASAP or it will take another month or so to get his shipment of 50 delivered. Good luck with this irritating issue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anyone know if there is a TSB on this issue???? Starting on my 17' as well...damn
When I had mine replaced a month ago I told the service rep that there should be a TSB on the issue since the failure rate is through the roof. His comment was that there was not and will not be a TSB on this issue. I had checked prior with Dodge customer care and got conflicting stories but there was no mention of TSB with the final decision being I was on my own. Car had 33K but was out of warranty. One rep got a little snooty when I mentioned that I purchased the car with 2K miles "oh, your not even the original owner". It's worth a 10 minute call to see if anything has changed on the TSB status. My experience has been that the dealer is the last to know. Good luck and yea it's a PITA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had mine replaced a month ago I told the service rep that there should be a TSB on the issue since the failure rate is through the roof. His comment was that there was not and will not be a TSB on this issue. I had checked prior with Dodge customer care and got conflicting stories but there was no mention of TSB with the final decision being I was on my own. Car had 33K but was out of warranty. One rep got a little snooty when I mentioned that I purchased the car with 2K miles "oh, your not even the original owner". It's worth a 10 minute call to see if anything has changed on the TSB status. My experience has been that the dealer is the last to know. Good luck and yea it's a PITA.
I may do that, thanks for the input....mine has 7800miles it is ridiculous because mileage has nothing to do with it..

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
241 Posts
I just purchased an extended molar max care warranty for this very reason. I don’t drive my car much and stored in a climate controlled garage but still feared this problem happening

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just purchased an extended molar max care warranty for this very reason. I don’t drive my car much and stored in a climate controlled garage but still feared this problem happening
Mine was garaged and anytime it was parked outside had a form fitting solar shield covering the windshield and the remaining windows have a very dark tint. I'm sure heat could play some role but obviously the design is completely flawed. They should all be returned back to the vendor by Stellantis. Guess they don't have an alternative vendor to meet the volume they require for new models.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
If you don't want to go the route of trying to get it fixed free out of warranty, and I wasn't aware that it was possibility prior to doing this myself, I did a write up a couple of months ago....

From my research, there is a common issue with MY's 2017/2018 Touchscreen's (across most FCA 8.4'' screens) where the touchscreen begins to separate from the LCD. Most people report that it starts with bubbling on the screen as if there was a screen protector that is separating. But apparently it's an issue with the glue/adhesion that was used. Also heard that this glue can become liquid-like and drip into the hardware potentially destroying other things in the dash.

It seems that people are reporting this issues more which seems to happen 3-4 years after new (usually out of B2B warranty for most). Mine started a few weeks ago with bubble at the top, then a second bubble, then they merged and just starting getting bigger and bigger. Luckily, I did not have any of the screen ghosting issues...i.e. where the screen starts pushing on screen buttons on it's own. People have reported even it triggering climate changes that can't be undone. I wanted to bite the bullet as quick as possible.

There were 3 options that I was aware of. Full head unit replacement, Touchscreen / LCD replacement and Touchscreen replacement. A brand new head unit goes for over $1,500 and would require a dealer visit to program it to the car's VIN. Touchscreen / LCD replacement which is ~$700. Or trying to just replace the touchscreen and essentially glue it back together yourself, which might be like $200, but good skills are necessary.

I went with the Option 2, as it was the easiest fix. Research showed that the initial Touchscreen / LCD part # ended with (1), whereas it was later revised twice to (2) and finally (3). Most people have reported that the (2)/(3) parts will not bubble or delaminate as they changed the glue. However, these two parts are harder to come by. The (1) parts seem readily available on ebay, but will ultimately delaminate again. I found a seller who had (2) part and contacted him via ebay. By the time he responded, he had sold it, but confirmed he was ordering an (3) batch, mostly for his repair business, but a few more to sell on ebay. He gave me a headsup and I ordered the (3) right away. I believe it was $650, plus tax, plus $9 shipping from CA; so it wasn't like I had to wait for it to be imported from China.

The below Youtube video will walk you through the entire removal and install process (not mine, but very informative). This is VERY easy and I think anyone that can turn a screw driver could do it. The only snag I had was removing the interior trim (Challenger ); the upper right side would not pop off; was using plastic interior trim removal tools. That one clip ended up breaking off...I think the clip was defective from the factory as I had a real hard time removing it from the bracket even after it broke off from the trim. I just super glued it back on and it popped right back in no problem upon reinstall.

Below is a picture of the old screen where you can see the bubbling. Also is a picture of the part #3, showing the (3) designation. Also attached a picture of the rear connections should you forget where they go.

Hope this helps someone when/if the issue arises on theirs. At very least, hope to save you a little bit of coin by not replacing the whole thing or buying the compromised part as a replacement.

View attachment 581851
View attachment 581852
View attachment 581853

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293468807390?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
Thanks for all your research on this, this is the exact issue I'm having. 2017 with ~34k miles and the top left corner has just started to delaminate.

I can't get a head unit replacement as I was told by a dealership here (New Zealand) that they're discontinued; so I'll try getting one of the (SL)(03) screens and swapping that out. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Alright so I wanted to give an update on this from my side of things. I contacted Uconnect corporate, and opened a case with them. I had to have the car "officially diagnosed at a dealership" w/r/t the delaminating problem, so I made an appointment, just so they could have a paper trail of "yes it needs replacement". Car is out of warranty. Uconnect corp issued a "good will repair" notice to the dealership, and it was issued free of charge. Took about a couple months waiting for the radio to arrive. Talking to the service advisor, they're doing boatloads of this repair. The tech that did the repair on mine had already done 2 just that morning. It should definitely be a recall, and yet I've heard from my tech that they won't issue one, but they're going to expand the "free replacement" even to non original owners. Definitely call up Uconnect and open a case.

Anyway, now looking to get 3M Crystalline installed on my front windshield to try and reduce the cabin temps. The radio is supposedly being upgraded with a new display that has stronger glue that won't melt in the TX heat, but who knows? The old unit def had a bunch of glue seeping out at the bottom, sticky sticky stuff. The new radio is also running a newer firmware version and some things are different, for example I now get this "SRT Dashboard" when pressing the SRT button on the center console, and some other minor visual differences.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,671 Posts
Generally speaking, vehicle manufacturers will not do a recall on anything that lives past its warranty. Most of these are going bad after the B2B wears off. Technically, this is fine from a manufacturing standpoint as the vehicle and components lasted through the expected warranty period. Now, them going bad can indeed suck and it can cause problems for the manufacturer. However, the way they fix things like this is to just roll out an improvement on an updated model. Performing a recall affects all vehicles equipped with whatever part number(s) that caused the problem... so you could in theory initiate a recall for a couple hundred thousand vehicles... most of which are past their warranty period. That would cost Dodge tens of millions to correct when it's a lot cheaper to just suck up a few thousand $2,000 repairs.

Reactions: Slowpoke387

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
62 Posts
My 2018 Scat just started doing this randomly. I'm ordering a new Hellcat so will be selling the car in a few months and am wondering if this will eventually get worse and shut the car down.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,076 Posts
My 2018 Scat just started doing this randomly. I'm ordering a new Hellcat so will be selling the car in a few months and am wondering if this will eventually get worse and shut the car down.
Delamination of a screen wont shut the car down. It will be a PIA to read after time I'm sure though.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
877 Posts
After I bought my 2015 last year, one of the first things I installed was this screen protector from Amazon. This was before I was aware of delamination issues with the factory touch screen and I can't even say with certainty that the screen protector will prevent delamination, but for less than $13 it's not a bad gamble. There is no loss in tactile response, and at the very least the screen protector prevents scratches that appear over time on the factory screen.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part

21 - 40 of 65 Posts