SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into ordering a new Widebody Hellcat Challenger, is there a way to find out what the invoice pricing is? Is it possible to negotiate a price below invoice and if so, what’s the best approach? Online all I’m seeing is sticker prices and sales staff seem to only begin at that number via email. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They all try to start as high as possible. But it's just a starting point. With all this corona nonsense, I've been curious as to how the sales end is going to play out once things get moving again. You'd think that dealerships would be willing to agree to fantastic prices to make a sale after being shut down for a while, but they also know that people are now clambering for a product because it was unavailable for a few months, so they may use that to their benefit. I don't know what invoice was on my 2020 rewb (ordered in feb/picked up mid April) but I can tell you that with power dollars and negotiations, I wound up all in at roughly 16% under sticker. So that gives you a rough idea anyhow. My dealership was also fantastic to work with.

·
Registered
In The Market
251 Posts
Tell them to build the car and produce the “POC” price order confirmation. There are two vertical columns; one is MSRP the other is FWP (invoice). If they sell it at invoice, they are still making $$ in the form of “holdback”. The POC identifies that amount as well, which is 2.8% or so of MSRP.

If they refuse to provide the POC, tell them you’ll keep talking to dealers until you find one that will. Insist on invoice, at least. As justification, tell them they don’t need Invest in all the costs associated with buying and placing the vehicle in inventory... They will get really stingy once you start nibbling away at the holdback.

And one thing I’ve learned the hard way- be willing to pay a little more if you have dealer referrals from people you trust. Proximity counts as well since you’ll need to have a warranty/ maintenance partner.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
587 Posts
As a dealer, I don’t ever give anyone a POC that shows and dealer pricing, people usually have no idea what the other numbers mean. At this point Charger Hellcats on the east coast are being sold at sticker. Production on them this year will be less than a demon I am almost 100% positive on that note.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
587 Posts
To the last part of your comment as far as dealers get stingy when people ask about holdback is because everyone wants something for nothing and does not think a dealer should make 1 dollar. But when ya car breaks down and need help and throw a tantrum and want to be pushed to the front of the line like your someone special it doesn’t work like that... just some inside

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,375 Posts
As a dealer, I don’t ever give anyone a POC that shows and dealer pricing, people usually have no idea what the other numbers mean. At this point Charger Hellcats on the east coast are being sold at sticker. Production on them this year will be less than a demon I am almost 100% positive on that note.
Spoken like a true dealer.

They are not going for sticker. I know three dealers I can buy one at 3-5% under invoice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Invoice less 1/2 holdback less rebates is how I’ve purchased the last few vehicles in New England. You can find a dealer that will accept that. Easier when there is no trade and you have your own financing. Credit unions are great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
To the last part of your comment as far as dealers get stingy when people ask about holdback is because everyone wants something for nothing and does not think a dealer should make 1 dollar. But when ya car breaks down and need help and throw a tantrum and want to be pushed to the front of the line like your someone special it doesn’t work like that... just some inside
Gimme a break! LOL! 1 dollar, hell you mean lotz of dollars dealers expect and get mad when someone educated comes into the building or asks for invoice!!! You dont build these fancy dealerships , state of the art facilities, art and decor ,coffee bars and lounges, work at the dealer wifi/Desk/ office areas, day care, coiencierge service, taxi, and loaner for free and 100 Bay service centers on a dolla my friend. These owners make a crap ton of money so lets just call it at that, none and I mean none of them are struggling at invoice or holdback.

·
Registered
In The Market
251 Posts
By ‘stingy’ I was just trying to convey to the OP that it’s going to become progressively more difficult to negotiate below invoice into the holdback. There’s nothing wrong with the dealer making $$ on the transaction, but they should make less on an ordered car for the reasons I cited. Conversely, If the dealer carries inventory that people want, they are free to use that leverage. Dealers are rarely bashful about using that leverage when they have it.

2016 being an example with ‘ADM‘ pricing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,679 Posts
My limited experience is the quality of the service is not based on what one paid of the car. The service departmeent does not consult with the sales department regarding priority in getting into service. Generally it is first come first served or reservations first, drive ins second. In some cases even though I have not bought a car from the dealer to where I take a car for service because I have been a good service customer I sometimes get "special" treatment.

I do not worry about a dealer not making any money when selling me a car. I'm sure he is quite capable of looking out after himself. If a dealer agrees to sell me a car, even at what might be considered a healthy discount, I assume he's still making money. Maybe not as much as he wanted to make, but I did not hold a gun to his head.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
122 Posts
All this "invoice" price talk....does nobody buying these cars get/qualify for Employee or Family pricing, or is it just a small amount?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,679 Posts
All this "invoice" price talk....does nobody buying these cars get/qualify for Employee or Family pricing, or is it just a small amount?
The Employee or Family pricing implies exclusivity. How much a discount this actually provides one I have no idea. While I have no specific info regarding Dodge and its employee pricing a few times I have been exposed to employee pricing numbers offered by other companies to their employees and while the employees were happy based on my info the discounts were nothing to write home about.

Even "invoice pricing" is suspect. So many car shoppers now ask for "invoice" that the factory has manipulated this into what could probably be more accurately referred to as "MSRP".

What the dealer actually pays for the car is below the published "invoice" price.

·
Registered
In The Market
251 Posts
I think friends and family is the same as supplier (identified as “FFP” on POC). It’s roughly 1% below invoice. If the dealers shares the POC, the pricing is very straight forward. If it’s from a car on the lot or that’s already built, it’s associated with a VIN.

Not all dealers will provide it- many don’t want the consumer to be educated in that regard. I would insist on it especially when ordering a car.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
122 Posts
I just meant that it seems most people buying these cars don't have or qualify for the EP pricing (from what I'm reading).
Whereas I can get it from my dad, who's retired from FCA.
And you can still negotiate below EP pricing too. I know with GM though, for example, the dealers can't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts