SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Did my first HC front brake job today at 17k miles. What an easy thing to do! Replaced OEM pads with Powerstop Z26s.
Anyway, the OEM pads are very unevenly worn, is this normal for these cars? Never noticed this pattern in any of my previous cars. It was very thin in one of the sides, unfortunately I didn’t mark if it was at the bottom side or top side of the caliper.
IMG_4056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,792 Posts
What do the rotors look like? Any more pictures of the OEM pads?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do the rotors look like? Any more pictures of the OEM pads?
Rotors looked fine, I can fish out the pads from the trash and take more pics. Interestingly enough, the uneven wear was not as prominent on the passenger side pads.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,679 Posts
Looks like the worn portion is the trailing edge of the pad. Sort of makes sense. The leading edge of the pad gets the benefit of a rather cool rotor. But the rest of pad "sees" hotter and hotter rotor and this looks like it led to accelerated pad wear.

Doesn't help the pad material got real thin. This can only result in that thinner portion of the pad running even hotter than "normal".

Have to offer up you should consider a brake fluid flush and bleed.

Have not observed any thing with the brakes of my Hellcat -- which will be 2 years old next month and with just 19K miles on it -- but my 2018 MINI JCW went through a set of rear brake pads in around 16K miles. Well, not a full set. The one pad with the wear sensor was worn down to the sensor but I had all 4 pads and I think the rotors replaced.

After this I noticed even during a rather tame right hand turn the stability control light was flashing and I could feel the outside (left side) rear brake being applied. I was not driving that fast or cornering that hard so I was rather puzzled.

Not sure why but just a month or two before the JCW's 2 year anniversary (Dec 2019) I had the car in for a brake hydraulic system fluid (and clutch hydraulic system fluid) flush/bleed. I don't know what the fluid looked like but afterwards the stability control light no longer flashes even during purposely hard/fast turns in either direction and the clutch pedal action is a bit smoother too.

My 2018 Hellcat is coming up on 2 years of age and I'll be having the brake fluid flushed and bled at its 20K mile service.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
494 Posts
Hi,

Did my first HC front brake job today at 17k miles. What an easy thing to do! Replaced OEM pads with Powerstop Z26s.
Anyway, the OEM pads are very unevenly worn, is this normal for these cars? Never noticed this pattern in any of my previous cars. It was very thin in one of the sides, unfortunately I didn’t mark if it was at the bottom side or top side of the caliper. View attachment 548642

This wear pattern could be because there is no lube on the edges of the plate and the channel in the caliper. The steel plates in your pic seem dry. Hope you lubricated the replacements. There could also be debris in the caliper channel preventing the steel plates from sliding correctly in the caliper housing channel. Hope you cleaned the caliper channel that hold the steel plates and lubed all steel plate contact points with a high-temp silicone brake lube.

You should also have an Abutment Clearance between the edges of the steel plates and the caliper housing channel of around .010" total cold. This applies to both steel plates in the caliper housing, inner and outer.

Could be the caliper pistons not sliding and releasing. But you could visually confirm this. Take the wheel off and turn the steering wheel full right or left so as to watch the caliper apply and release the pads on the rotor. Then have someone apply and release the brake pedal. After the release (almost immediately), there should be about .015" clearance between the pad and the rotor each side of the rotor for a total of .030" for the caliper. It the caliper pistons are not releasing enough on both sides, you may have to rebuild the caliper piston seals making sure there is no debris preventing the pistons from sliding and retracting.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,499 Posts
I had over 45k on the ?Z26 pads on my T/A with the big brake kit. Posted pics in another thread and it was pointed out that I should check the other end of the pads becaue they will always wear faster on these cars. Sure as shit the one end I DIDNT look at was noticeably more worn. I was told by many its normal

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is completely normal wear

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
Hi,

Anyway, the OEM pads are very unevenly worn, is this normal for these cars? Never noticed this pattern in any of my previous cars. It was very thin in one of the sides, unfortunately I didn’t mark if it was at the bottom side or top side of the caliper. View attachment 548642

Front or rear pads? If rear then it’s a non issue. Since SRT’s came out in 2006, stability control and traction control on will apply brakes to individual rear wheels when needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front or rear pads? If rear then it’s a non issue. Since SRT’s came out in 2006, stability control and traction control on will apply brakes to individual rear wheels when needed.
It’s not a front vs back or left vs right issue. If you look at the pic, the pad is considerably more worn on one side vs the other, in the same pad. One side is considerably thinner.

But from what others said, it’s normal wear, so carry on...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
It’s not a front vs back or left vs right issue. If you look at the pic, the pad is considerably more worn on one side vs the other, in the same pad. One side is considerably thinner.

But from what others said, it’s normal wear, so carry on...

That is what’s happened with rears for the last 14 years one side thinner. Take care.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,089 Posts
You could flip them in their mid-life. That is what I am going to do with my set of pads I use for the track. They are slightly off, but I have the advantage of inspecting them a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts