SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 GTO, 21 REWB Challenger ordered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have an order in for a 21 Challenger REWB but didn't opt for the $2k upgraded audio system. For $2k Ive put great sounding systems in cars which included head units, all the speakers, 12" sub and box, and amp.

With these hellcats (and other newer sports cars I assume) it seems there is an insane amount of integration into the cars head unit in terms of the cars performance set up. Which means swapping the deck is going to be all but impossible I imagine. Looking at the Dodge website, the $2k audio upgrade doesn't seem to change the head unit anyway, just adds better speakers, a sub and amp. Is that correct? If that's the case, I can certainly add better speakers/amp/sub than what Dodge is including with the $2k option. Not that HK doesn't have decent stuff, there's just quite a bit of options out there for better performance for the money.

Have folks had unforseen issues upgrading the audio system (minus the head unit) in these?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
I only added a 10" subwoofer, and amp, to the rear deck. I LOVE the sound with that and the stock door and dash speakers.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
81 Posts
You can probably do better for 2k pretty easily with an upgraded Amp and speakers.

I got the HK audio package as I didn't want to mess with it and wanted something good enough out of the box. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it bad? Nope. It is quite bass heavy on the standard settings which my chick digs but I not so much...

2k is definitely worth not spending my time and effort to do all of that.

Headunit is the same I'm pretty sure so just using a PAC or tying into the oem lines should work.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
212 Posts
@Rio Lobo posted up a build he did on his alpine ordered system recently.
HK is definitely bass heavy and missing those mids. When I get to it, I’ll probably change out the dash speakers to help balance it out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
3.5" in the dash, 6x9 in the doors, 6.5" in the rear deck, 12" subs/enclosure/amp in the trunk. All Kicker. Spent somewhere around 1500 with dynamat that I haven't even put in. Absolutely love it!

You can go as far down the rabbit hole as you please. Simply replacing the speakers and using wiring adapters is quick and easy and meets my needs perfectly. You can use 4-ohm speakers and not lose any volume (I actually checked sound levels while replacing mine). The Alpine amp powers the replacement speakers just fine. I added 2 subs and just tapped the rear deck speakers with a Line Out Converter to the sub amp.

Thinking of adding an amp for your new mids and highs? 2 of the most popular ways Line Out Converter options:

1) PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 - this line out converter will retain door chimes, nav, phone, etc in your speakers. You'll leave the factory amp in place and can even keep some speakers on the factory amp. Option to use Optical cable to amp (not just RCAs). Also get the APH-CH01 harness so that you will not have to splice any factory wiring.
2) Rockford DSR1 - line out converter with Digital Sound Processing. You'll need the iDatalink harness HRN-AR-CH2. Same thing as far as retaining chime/voice functionality and no splicing factory wiring.

Which one is best depends on what you plan to do. I think the Rockford is great if you want DSP but I've read that hard core audiophiles find its adjustability lacking.
On the other hand, you could use the PAC and just run it to an amp and be done. Or you could use the PAC and run it into a high end DSP and amp and go bat$h!t crazy.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
438 Posts
I agree, start with the AmpPro converter. What you do from there is a function of what you like to listen to, front stage accuracy, and overall sound quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
Damn, beautiful. Where do you carry the cinder blocks and painting supplies though?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
438 Posts
Damn, beautiful. Where do you carry the cinder blocks and painting supplies though?
The equipment is normally covered. I carry a ton of stuff back there, groceries, cases of wine/liquor, and normal stuff that you'd buy at any store...

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
Great. I'll ask about it when they have the electronic update to prevent car thefts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts