SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off. I up front apologize for being annoying with these used car post. I'm new to hellcats, especially used ones and since I've opened up to the idea of buying used vs waiting to order new one I want to make sure I don't get someone else's mess. Thus the questions, especially after looking at (and really wanting) a 560 mile car that wound up having some issues.

This car is fairly local to me so I was thinking of checking it out deeper. The sales person took some extra pics for me today and it shows it has a Barton short throw shifter and JLT catch can installed. Also appears to have some tint on some of the lights. While I prefer a stock car these mods aren't deal breakers but the car seems to sit low to me. Couple questions: Does it sit low to you? If it's on aftermarket springs at what point do the issues with the rear half shafts come into play (I assume lower than this car sits). Also, does lowering a car affect the ride adjustments? I assume not since that should be shock driven but I also know when you lower some cars it messes with the ability of the shocks to perform properly.

For this car, I'm trying to figure out what other mods it may have. Seems odd to have a green belt install but no pulley for instance. By far my favorite when it comes to looks though.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to take off all the decals and also the chances that the paint isn't faded and when the decals are removed you'd see the ghost of them. Outside of that it appears stock. Feels overpriced though but maybe I'm just not in the know on these cars values. Feels like at $45K-$47K car.

Last but not least:
I sent an offer to the dealership this morning. Told them at $55K OTD I would be a buyer assuming things checked out. Looks like an aftermarket exhaust but I was willing to push my budget ($50K for a used NB) to $55K since it's still under full warranty. As part of my offer I would require (in writing) confirmation it's met all criteria of the warranty (not tuned, maintenance requirements, etc) though. The other thing I asked about is rust. It's a northern car so that seems like it could be a concern. Assume most store their cars but you never know.

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
2016 TorRed Hellcat A8
33 Posts
Dealers rarely budge and if its modified and you are new to hellcats have a GOOD shop look it over. One that deals with hellcats regularly. Trust you me. I was in your shoes a year ago and my car has been a boatload of issues so far hoping that all comes to an end this month... but close to 10k in repairs on what seemed to be an awesome car and deal. If you really want one I get it but pay for the reassurance just my opinion

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
212 Posts
Dealers rarely budge and if its modified and you are new to hellcats have a GOOD shop look it over. One that deals with hellcats regularly. Trust you me. I was in your shoes a year ago and my car has been a boatload of issues so far hoping that all comes to an end this month... but close to 10k in repairs on what seemed to be an awesome car and deal. If you really want one I get it but pay for the reassurance just my opinion
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what were the bigger issues that you ran into? I looked at a 2015 locally yesterday, and front end has some wear/rash (price is reflective of this), but seems decent mechanically. I'm working on getting one of my mechanic, by trade, buddies to take a look over fully mechanically.

OP, I'm in a similar situation at the moment. What drives me a bit crazy is that when you are looking at the 15/16's, you're in the $44K-$48K range, then you step up to 17's and you're at $50K. Now on this 18, you're at $55K. It would drive me absolutely insane to fork over that amount, when a new one could be had for pretty much that amount. I know, I understand, the manuals can't be ordered yet... but it would still eat away at me.

My wife keeps telling me to spend more money and get a newer one. However, just because it's a couple years newer, doesn't mean that it was any less thrashed on than an older one. I'm also in the thought that having some extra miles on a used one may be good, since maybe issues that would have come up, would have already come up with the miles. With the low miles ones, I feel like there could still be issued that have yet to pop up. I guess it's all a gamble.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious as well what you've run into.

My wife keeps telling me to spend more money and get a newer one. However, just because it's a couple years newer, doesn't mean that it was any less thrashed on than an older one. I'm also in the thought that having some extra miles on a used one may be good, since maybe issues that would have come up, would have already come up with the miles. With the low miles ones, I feel like there could still be issued that have yet to pop up. I guess it's all a gamble.
I'm kind of the same especially with a 2015 due to the SC bearing issues. I figured after 15K-20K miles that's either made itself clear and easy to identify or has already passed the point that it would have been part of that defect. Ideally I'd really like to spend mid 40's when going used but am willing to bump budget to get a good car thus a couple of these. I'm fine with having to fix some minor things here and there but am trying my best to steer clear of cars that may have been beat on hard and put up wet.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what were the bigger issues that you ran into? I looked at a 2015 locally yesterday, and front end has some wear/rash (price is reflective of this), but seems decent mechanically. I'm working on getting one of my mechanic, by trade, buddies to take a look over fully mechanically.

OP, I'm in a similar situation at the moment. What drives me a bit crazy is that when you are looking at the 15/16's, you're in the $44K-$48K range, then you step up to 17's and you're at $50K. Now on this 18, you're at $55K. It would drive me absolutely insane to fork over that amount, when a new one could be had for pretty much that amount. I know, I understand, the manuals can't be ordered yet... but it would still eat away at me.

I think it's easy to overthink and it sure looks like a lot of people are doing it. Newer is generally better in most cases. Plain and simple. I'm in the used car business now for 36 yrs. One giant thing we've learned in that time is that age/time is what generally kills cars. We would rather have a newer vehicle with some miles than an older low mileage unit. Time and sitting is horrendous to a vehicle. Low mileage old cars almost always need a ton of help. Not to mention newer technology and improvements along the way get implemented into newer vehicles. Obviously there are exceptions but overall newer has proven better in our experience. Hellcats are still a fairly new product so I wouldn't be too worried about age yet though. I'm with your wife though, go newer. If only even just for the new fun options lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
373 Posts
Didn't you start a thread on the very same topic two days ago? Got lost here?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't you start a thread on the very same topic two days ago? Got lost here?
Nope, not really. That topic was about the multiple owners I keep seeing on cars and if that was common on HC's. Some cars that's a red flag and others it's not so I was trying to see if I should avoid or not worry about cars with that kind of history.

This thread is specific to 4 cars I'm interested in. One of the cars I put in that other thread is also one I'm interested in (here) but I only linked it in the other thread as the carfax showed the owner history I was talking about. But since this is my 3rd used car thread (all different base topics though) is why I apologized at first as I know it can be pretty annoying sometimes. Just trying to do my homework the best I can especially since I'm stuck at home with this stupid storm and I plan on going to look at some of these next weekend, assuming the weather is better. It's a 6 hour round trip for most of these cars for me so getting feedback from others that know more about these cars was my goal, to hopefully save myself on wasting a full day/weekend for nothing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to add. Example of what I'm hoping for. In this picture below you can see it has a green belt but to me that looks like a factory and untouched pulley. This is the first time I've seen a green pulley on anything but a Red Eye which is throwing me off. The decal on the intake is odd but I also find it a bit funny, so oddly enough I like it.

The other things on this particular car. Diffidently is a different badge as the 15's didn't come with the (what I call) hallow badge but I've never seen this one before. Looks custom but not positive. Plus, the spot in green, does it looks like the trim has come loose? Maybe a sign of fender damage?

Guess what I'm saying. Not wanting others to certify the cars for me but hundreds of eyes is better than my old fart ones. Plus, I guess I'm also hopeful that with a community this small maybe 1 of the previous owners is a member and happens to see this and can shed light on the car. I spend most of my time in the Viper world and those guys/gals LOVE to pick apart Vipers that are for sale for new potential owners. Seems like Viper and HC owners are a different breed that normal people and ya'll may share in that same fun too :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
Ya those badges arent correct. Newer style for sure. Hard to tell why they look so wonky, like the cat's jaw is way too elongated. Might just be the angle of the dangle.
Lots of people upgrade to the green belt, supposed to be stronger.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
364 Posts
Gates says that the green belts are stronger and it's just a simple upgrade.

Badge looks like these..

The panel looks like it needs to be snapped back in.... when discount tires first tried jacking my car they used an oversized block on the pinch weld which pressed on the panel and bumped it out like in the picture. I was able to push on it and it popped back into place.

·
Registered
2016 TorRed Hellcat A8
33 Posts
I was searching for a few months and found a tastefully modded car went and test drove it. Drove great looked great garage kept amazing up keep. Got the shipped home and a week later the car went into a limp mode, come to find out the trans was shot so after replacing that and tuning Im hoping to be good. Was it a bad tune? Was previous owner hard as hell on it the last few days he had it? I don't know and it has been an expensive learning experience for sure. I would for sure have someone look at it and when you test drive it get on it to feel the car out. Ideally drive a few just to get a feel for what these monsters are.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
Dear Frosty,

With all due respect, you need to make your own decisions. I am happy to provide suggestions, as we all are because it is fun to do so on this forum. But it seems you need to get a grip and go your way.

Unless you personally know the owner and car, used cars are always a risk, warranty or not, and HC’s are a big risk! These seem to be very durable cars but you never know what the last owner(s) did or didn’t do. Used prices are very high now, and new car availability is spotty, you are in a tough market. The smart money would wait, maybe until summer, fall, next winter… The so-called “great deal” in this market should be approached with great caution. When I was young I bought a few “good deals” and the lesson I learned was: BUY NEW, and KEEP FOREVER! This way, you know where it has been and how it was treated. My 2003 truck has 145k and 2004 Jeep 135k, (both bought new), they are keepers. I almost kept my GTO 128k but didn’t want to store my tractor or other vehicle outdoors when I bought the HC.

We can help all we can but that is not a guarantee you will not end up with a lemon. Be smart. Be patient. Be observant. And always compare to what you can get new. I think you have learned enough by now to find the right car for you.

Just curious, how old are you? My guess is 35? If so, we all understand the anxiousness and wish you good luck! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2ndAmend - no worries and I get it. I'm not expecting anyone to tell me, "that one is perfect" I'm just searching for the gotchas that message boards seem to always find. That's actually why I joined here before buying and asking all these questions. I'm 42 and not new to performance cars but not knowing the HC that well I don't know the common mods, common failures and the red flags that are associated to the platform. Learning though. I'm good with working on a car to make it good again but trying to avoid the big $ problems. Honestly, I think my anxiety is I'm not confident Dodge will offer the M6 this year and the HC future seems in question coming soon. The HC is something I want to own and enjoy while I still can. But I also don't want to be "that guy" on the board either so hint received.

MoparMuscle707 - Thanks for sharing. I've seen several cars now with notes that the Transmission ECU/module had been replaced which felt odd on a M6. Wonder if they had the same issue.

DroncKinCO - Thanks! Those are funny and if I get it I may have to keep them as my kids LOVE monkeys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I personally wouldn’t buy a used Hellcat without knowing the previous owner, and with dodge throwing out the power dollar, you can get new nicely equipped hellcat for around the 60k mark or even less, if you don’t care about leather seats. Thats what I did. Was looking for a used Hellcat around the 55k mark and ended up spending a little more buying a new 2020 Hellcat.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd 100% do that but it looks like all that's left is A8 for 2020's and you can't get a 21 with M6, at least, yet. I'm pretty open to color but Alcantara seats are a must. Don't want cloth and just not a fan of the leather seats.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
I do not know but I would expect Dodge will offer the M6 as long as it is profitable. Right now, they are selling their most expensive models, profit keeps the corp rolling. It is easier and cheaper to offer one trans, but they have a M6 config in line and there is a market, I would bet there will plenty more M6’s. But the next run may be the last blast, maybe one more , who knows… When the end nears, they will simplify and economize.

You have a lot of life ahead, be smart and you will do well. We are routing for you!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,066 Posts
2021 order banks don't close til Aug 5th so still have plenty of time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd avoid all three. The blue cat is modded and is a low optioned car.

The green machine is ugly and the sublime won't hold value.

The white knight is ok-except for the cloth seats.

Keep looking.....

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
398 Posts
Honestly, unless you know the owner or they have a spotless list of all maintenance, I just can't do it on these cars.... not at the prices the used ones are commanding right now. If it was lower 40's, maybe high 30's... different story. However, you can buy a brand new Hellcat for about 51k right now.... 2020-2021 models..

Koon's has like 30+ brand new Hellcats for under 55k. I just would struggle to own something thats 3-4 years old with a price tag of almost the same as a brand new one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd 100% do that but it looks like all that's left is A8 for 2020's and you can't get a 21 with M6, at least, yet. I'm pretty open to color but Alcantara seats are a must. Don't want cloth and just not a fan of the leather seats.
I would go with the Auto 8speed. Had a 600rwhp mustang with a 5speed stick and I’m glad I went with the auto in the Hellcat. Its a masterpiece, no wonder bmw uses the same transmission in the new M5. Check out Koons Dodge in Virginia. I bought mine there a month ago and they had over 80 2020 Hellcats left. I flew out and drove it 500miles home. Extremely good experience and will buy again from them

1 - 20 of 43 Posts