SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my black FOB for the first time after taking my HC in for new tires today, and I have to wonder what Dodge was trying to accomplish here? Admittedly I'm still new to the Hellcat platform but even with reduced hp and torque, my HC was still pretty fun to drive with the black key. I'm not really sure how this is supposed to keep anyone from an impromptu joyride. After all, 500 hp is still a little more than Scat Pack territory, right?

On the other hand the Uconnect valet mode was far more effective for taking the joy out of joyride. My hcat felt as sluggish as an SXT with a flat tire. I left it that mode for the tire shop.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RPM is reduced to 4000 from what I remember reading, just not sure if that's with the black key. I think it's definitely in play with the Uconnect valet mode.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
265 Posts
I used my black FOB for the first time after taking my HC in for new tires today, and I have to wonder what Dodge was trying to accomplish here? Admittedly I'm still new to the Hellcat platform but even with reduced hp and torque, my HC was still pretty fun to drive with the black key. I'm not really sure how this is supposed to keep anyone from an impromptu joyride. After all, 500 hp is still a little more than Scat Pack territory, right?

On the other hand the Uconnect valet mode was far more effective for taking the joy out of joyride. My hcat felt as sluggish as an SXT with a flat tire. I left it that mode for the tire shop.
A HC in black key mode still walks away from a 392 pretty easily. I think the black key is intended for more... control of such a beast. Valet mode is the only way IMO to leave it if someone has to work on it. I really wish Dodge had added a simple battery backup or Panasonic made the memory of the Uconnect non-volatile. The latter being something that blows my mind this day in age.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,883 Posts
I believe the black key limits boost to somewhere in the 5 psi neighborhood. Only used it once to see if it worked.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really wish Dodge had added a simple battery backup or Panasonic made the memory of the Uconnect non-volatile. The latter being something that blows my mind this day in age.
It may not prevent some mechanic or shop monkey from disconnecting your battery to defeat valet mode, but the dead giveaway is that your PIN is reset and someone will have to explain why the battery was disconnected if the job did not call for it. As for parking valets I never allow any behind the wheel of any car I care about. I would rather pay for garage parking and walk back to the entrance. But my gf still gets the valet treatment (drop off and pick up), it's just that I'm her valet in these instances.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,393 Posts
Black key dumps boost.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
661 Posts
I left the HC at the dealer to have the starter and ring gear replaced. I put it in valet mode and reset the performance data. When I picked it up, valet mode was off and peak fwd G Force was .67, which happened to be about the limit of the stock tires at that temp. So I asked the mechanic, he said he had to disconnect the battery to change the starter (which was true back in the day but I thought it could be remotely disconnected on the HC). So I figured he test drove it with the black key and did a burnout, just to make sure everything was just right when they handed it back.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
234 Posts
Black key is PERECT with a tune and a 2.85!! Just under the stock red key
Horsepower and just enough to still have fun! I wish their was a batter back up for the uconnect! I don’t like that the dealers can bypass by disconnecting the battery!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Colorado roads ruin any driving experience. I only use the black key. It sucks.

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,489 Posts
The Black key could also be used if you allow the spouse or someone else to drive the Hellcat. It still has plenty of power, but not ludicrous power.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
Chargers: 08 SRT, 19 Hellcat, 21 Redeye
61 Posts
The Black key could also be used if you allow the spouse or someone else to drive the Hellcat. It still has plenty of power, but not ludicrous power.

I drove with the wife’s black key the other day. It was like a rain mode. Swear I had to push the pedal farther to get any acceleration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts