SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I have a brand new 2019 dodge charger Hellcat at about 80 miles an hour there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel you can actually even feel it under your foot the dealer has realign the front end and it is still there it is ever so slightly. They tell me they cannot test drive the car past 65 and it does not come up until 80. Help help help is anyone else experiencing this problem my thoughts bad caster and camber harmonic balancer or drive shaft ! I've talked to SRT n there just an a glorified answering service who calls your dealer gives you a case number then agrees with dealer! I need real ans!! Thoughts please ty

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,048 Posts
Most likely, your wheels were balanced on a Hunter Balancer with "Smart Balance Mode" turned ON. This mode does not work properly on these vehicles. Most balancers today are Hunter. Have the dealer or a Discount Tire Recalibrate their Hunter balancer and then rebalance all wheel with "Smart Balance Mode" OFF. This is a MUST! That should do it. They can also check the Road Force on the wheel and tires at the same time.

Had to do a 4 wheel alignment and the above balance to get my Charger HC to roll correctly.

Best!

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,786 Posts
You need to delete one of these duplicate threads unless you plan on hiring Blickie as a full time consultant.

Reactions: widecat69

·
Registered
125 Posts
  • I have a brand new 2019 dodge charger Hellcat at about 80 miles an hour there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel you can actually even feel it under your foot the dealer has realign the front end and it is still there it is ever so slightly. They tell me they cannot test drive the car past 65 and it does not come up until 80. Help help help is anyone else experiencing this problem my thoughts bad caster and camber harmonic balancer or drive shaft ! I've talked to SRT n there just an a glorified answering service who calls your dealer gives you a case number then agrees with dealer! I need real ans!! Thoughts please ty
I'm having the problem, and I don't know what to do to get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,502 Posts
I would go and get an alignment done.
I had one on my modified Hellcat Charger and it made a big difference.
I didn't think it was the problem because of Mods, but it made a world of difference!

Linda :)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,048 Posts
Search on my name here for the solutions.

Rebalance all wheels on a Hunter balancer with "Smart Balance Mode" OFF. This is a must. Our cars hate Smart Balance Mode.

Like Linda suggests, get a 4 wheel alignment. Make sure the tech aligns using the actual numbers; NOT an "in the green" alignment.

Properly torque all lug nuts to 115 ft lbs with a torque wrench; not an impact wrench.

This procedure worked for many of us, including me.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
125 Posts
Search on my name here for the solutions.

Rebalance all wheels on a Hunter balancer with "Smart Balance Mode" OFF. This is a must. Our cars hate Smart Balance Mode.

Like Linda suggests, get a 4 wheel alignment. Make sure the tech aligns using the actual numbers; NOT an "in the green" alignment.

Properly torque all lug nuts to 115 ft lbs with a torque wrench; not an impact wrench.

This procedure worked for many of us, including me.
Ok you wonderful lovely people, thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Most likely, your wheels were balanced on a Hunter Balancer with "Smart Balance Mode" turned ON. This mode does not work properly on these vehicles. Most balancers today are Hunter. Have the dealer or a Discount Tire Recalibrate their Hunter balancer and then rebalance all wheel with "Smart Balance Mode" OFF. This is a MUST! That should do it. They can also check the Road Force on the wheel and tires at the same time.
Had to do a 4 wheel alignment and the above balance to get my Charger HC to roll correctly.
Best!
I went through this with my taurus sho a while back. Still never got them balanced right. Went to 5 shops. They gave me the "Do you want to do my job" and I would say "yes I do, I will go back there and show you what I mean". Then they say they cant because of liability. Okay.

Another recommendation to OP: Pull every single weight off before going in. It forces them to rebalance otherwise they will just check it as is and put it right back on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello, I did go to the dealership yesterday afternoon. I gave them all the information off this forum and they said that they were going to follow it. However, the car is still vibrating at 50 miles and gets worse at higher speeds. 🤷🏿‍♂️

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,048 Posts
Sounds like they didn't turn OFF Smart Balance Mode. Here's what you do :)

Find a local Discount Tire

Go in and sit down with the manager and explain your problem; ask for his most experienced tech to work on your car.

Ask the manager to let you out into the shop so you can observe. Make a point of telling them how you are fighting your issue and you need their help. Create a rapport with manager and the tech; I always do and it makes a difference! And the fact that your car is a HC always helps; puts you in a different category... the techs are drawn to it and they drool a bit :)

Ask the tech to do a fresh balancer calibration. They'll probably counter with "we do every morning" but ask them to humor you because of what you are fighting.

After the calibration, Smart Balance Mode has to be turned OFF again. You must make sure Smart Balance Mode is turned OFF. If the tech cannot get Smart Balance Mode OFF, you must find a tech/machine where this is possible. Make a significant point with the tech that our cars HATE Smart Balance Mode and absolutely does NOT work.

Balance the first wheel. If they can check/adjust Road Force, that is fine. Let them get Road Force (lateral/radial tire & wheel runout) within specs if necessary for each wheel. Make sure the tech removes ALL the old weights and ALL the stick on weight adhesive before balancing and I do mean ALL adhesive down to wheel surface; totally clean and like virgin new.

Once Road Force is within specs, the balancer will then go into balance mode... that's fine and expected.

Balance the wheel to zero with Smart Balance Mode always OFF.

Critical Step: Once the first wheel shows balanced, ask the tech to temporarily install a 3 oz weight on the inside/back plane of the wheel. Respin the wheel. The balancer should show the offset of the 3 oz weight on the INSIDE plane ONLY WITHOUT transferring to the outside/front plane. If this occurs, have the tech remove the test 3 oz weight & you are good to go. This step 'validates' the accuracy of the balancer and wheel balance. IF the 3 oz test weight is NOT properly offset (directly opposite) AND/OR any weight shows on the outside plane, there is a balancer/calibration issue ! If this step passes on the first wheel, you can do the rest of the wheels with a high level of confidence in the result.

Torque all lugs nuts to 115 FtLbs. Do not let them tighten with an impact; ask them to turn the impact down to start the lug nut if they want, but properly finish with a torque wrench.

Suggest tipping the tech a $20 bill.

Everything I just wrote I did. Not only was I able to teach the tech some tricks, but it fixed my identical issues.

Take a copy of the Discount Tire invoice back to your dealer service manager and ask for a Service Credit on your account.

You still need a proper 4-wheel alignment according to the numbers.
  • Rear thrust set to absolute 0.0 Degrees.
  • Rear Toes set to absolute .1 (point one) Degree Toed In for each wheel for a total of .2 degrees Toe In for the axle.
  • Front Toes set to absolute .1 (point one) Degree Toed In for each wheel for a total of .2 degrees Toe In for the axle, while centering the steering wheel. Align using the actual numbers per the above; do NOT let them do an "In the Green" alignment. Again, a monetary tip for the tech might be in order.
The alignment tech will have to go back and forth from rear axle to front and back and forth multiple times cause when one axle is changed, it affects the other.

Let us know....

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
So after reading eleventy eight threads like this, im wondering if the WB crowd is experiencing this as well. My 2016 has had it the entire time ive owned it but im afraid to let anyone including a dealer mess with the wheels in any way. Without question they will scuff them up. Anyway it’s getting traded in for a WB RE and im wondering if the wider tires on the WB’s are just as susceptible to this.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,048 Posts
So after reading eleventy eight threads like this, im wondering if the WB crowd is experiencing this as well. My 2016 has had it the entire time ive owned it but im afraid to let anyone including a dealer mess with the wheels in any way. Without question they will scuff them up. Anyway it’s getting traded in for a WB RE and im wondering if the wider tires on the WB’s are just as susceptible to this.
If the wheels are balanced on a Hunter with Smart Balance Mode ON, then yes you'll have the same issue.

You should also have a 4 wheel alignment done because of the Rear Cradle and the factory cannot align our cars after assembly. Every HC owner gets one free alignment because the factory does not align HCs.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
If the wheels are balanced on a Hunter with Smart Balance Mode ON, then yes you'll have the same issue.

You should also have a 4 wheel alignment done because of the Rear Cradle and the factory cannot align our cars after assembly. Every HC owner gets one free alignment because the factory does not align HCs.
So with that being said, should i ask for that when the new RE arrives before i even pick it up? The alignment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes I know what you mean. Whenever I go the dealership for this problem my hood was scratched and passenger side front rim has the paint was chipped. 🤷🏿‍♂️ For some reasons people are jealous because we have these cars. I never been a person who droll over some peace of metal and plastic. I brought this car for a few reason and that was to developed, patent and test my air intake. I've been working on it for 3 years and now its finally finished and will soon be on the market as soon as they open everything up because of this virus. Shortly I'll be releasing a short video of it, its like nothing you ever seen before.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,048 Posts
So with that being said, should i ask for that when the new RE arrives before i even pick it up? The alignment.
Knowing what we know now, if I were to order another HC, it would get a 4-wheel alignment and all tires rebalanced (per my above specs & procedures) before leaving the dealership. I have a great rapport with the Service Mgr and the Asst Service Mgr and many of the techs, including the wheel service tech. It would be an easy request and they would do it for me no question, AND they would let me watch so we could collaborate. The wheel service tech will NEVER use Smart Balance Mode on ANY vehicle ever again! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts