SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to say, the Carven X pipe drastically changed the sound of my charger 392, its so much smoother and the tone is crisp.

Here are the photos of the installation.

My Exhaust system now consists of the following: Stock manifolds, SW/MMX Catless midpipes, Carven X-pipe, MFER-1, Vibrant 1142 Ultra quiet in place of mid mufflers, stock rear resonators, and Carven 5" tips.

Below is the factory 392 x pipe or lack there of to be honest. The cross over on the factory x pipe is disappointing due to the crossover is only a 2" diameter hole if that, but I suspect FCA had their reasons for NVH or whatever. The Carven X pipe merge section is 8" in length internally. If you look at the stock x pipe, where the pipes converge at the center apex, there is literally a small 2" or less diameter hole to balance both tubes for sound.

Below is the factory crossover tube showing the small 2" diameter hole to balance both banks, this is purely for sound in my opinion. Some of the earlier dodge vehicles had this section completely sealed, which you can see they are sealed around the edges, but the factory decided to pop a hole in the center on the 392/hellcats.

The carven crossover merge section is 8" in length. Much more efficient design overall.

FLYBY/WOT Video Filmed using Gopro Hero 5 Black with Olympus ME51S external mic. I flyby and then have to turn around and come back. It sounds glorious!

Here is a vid of warm startup and quick revs.

Overall i'm glad I made the purchase, I've still come out cheaper than a complete catback and so far have the sound i've been looking for. I have one more revision to make and the exhaust will be finalized. I ordered a pair of VIBRANT 17950 (18" x 5") resonators to swap in place of the current Vibrant 1142 Ultra quiet. The 17950 have a larger volume capacity, therefore more sound absorption material.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
4 Posts
I’ve been contemplating buying one of these x pipes. Makes you wonder if it helps with any power gains being the stock pipe is 1/4” smaller and they put them on the hellcat also. I would assume it’s a choking point on the hellcats

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been contemplating buying one of these x pipes. Makes you wonder if it helps with any power gains being the stock pipe is 1/4” smaller and they put them on the hellcat also. I would assume it’s a choking point on the hellcats
Its well worth the money for being around $120. You'll just need some Torca clamps unless you want it welded completely.

I haven't made any dyno tests since the install of the X pipe, but the mid range does feel stronger. However, if there are performance gains, that is an added benefit. The sound is what really changes especially inside the cabin, its just more exotic or LS7 ish sounding since both banks are crossing over now. The factory crossover with that silly little 2" diameter hole is there to possibly help balance both banks, but essentially the exhaust is just a true dual setup, thats why the 392 cars have that trumpeting sound under WOT.

With the Carven X pipe in place, it cleans up that ''trumpeting" sound and makes it clean as well as makes cruising more docile since X pipes do help lower the overall decibel level.

As far as a choking point, the 392/hellcat exhaust is kind of oddball in certain places in regards to diameter. For example, The manifold outlet is 3" ID into the catalyst midpipe. Leaving the catalyst the piping is 2.5" ID with a .065 wall thickness or 16ga, making the outer diameter around 2-5/8. Then this piping slips inside the factory crossover which is now 2.75" OD, with same .065 wall thickness making the inner diameter 2-5/8. I imagine it stays this way past the mufflers & resonators to the tip inlets.

So it goes 3" ID, to 2.5" ID, back up to around 2-5/8 ID.

Remember though, the hellcats are making 700-800whp or through stock manifolds, catless mids, and just muffler swaps.

Reactions: Taxinator

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where did you get it from? Carven doesnt list it on there site
Here it is, you have to either have it directly welded, or use Torca sleeved butt joint style clamps like I did if you want the system to be removed in sections. Or go with Vbands.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good! My shop mentioned how crappy the stock x-pipe was when the Vibrants were welded in...now I see how crappy.
Agreed, the stock x pipe is garb.. but thats just something else for the aftermarket or end user to modify!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
426 Posts
So it goes 3" ID, to 2.5" ID, back up to around 2-5/8 ID.
By looking at pics of stock exhausts/my own, I would have to assume that the exhaust tapers down a little for the active exhaust flap assemblies too on the cat-back.

Granted, I know Hellcats make a lot of power on the stock exhaust but those flaps (even when "wide open") have to give even just the slightest restriction still versus them not being there at all.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
443 Posts
ordered one for my Hellcat as part of my exhaust strategy.....lots of good info here

Will share my experience with it when I get it on.

Not sure if I want to have it clamped or welded.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,480 Posts
I essentially built my exhaust for about 500 bucks and damn there same as Corsa Extreme. Carven X-Pipe, 4 Vibrant 1794's, and the Mfer1. I will say adding the X-Pipe which was most recent the Scavenging pulses are much stronger(faster) and quite the nice rumble.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
443 Posts

Got mine put on last weekend....zero issues and after looking at the OEM one and comparing, I am sure it will work better for exhaust flow.Zero change on sound and it still rips the road when I get on it.....zero complaints.

Did need to space the support down a little to prevent contact and it was completed shortly thereafter welding fully around......no need for clamps cause I am never going back to the original.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
443 Posts
I had no preconceived notions it would change anything. Already have the mids swapped out with Vibrants so just the crossover is not going to measurably change the tone......simply help it equalize the exhaust.

Reactions: Beast707

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The carven X pipe changed the overall sound completely on my 392 (could be different all together on a hellcat in regards to sound being forced inducted). I also had SW SW catless mids on the 392 prior to the Carven Xpipe install.

The cold start is less abrasive, the entire powerband sounds smoother due to the both banks equally merging together now.

The factory crossover has a tiny 2" diameter hole in the center, which imo made the 392 sound trumpety during wot.

The carven uses a 7 or 8" long convergent section.

I also have the MFER1 which was installed prior to the catless mids as well as I'm using the Vibrant 1142 and stock rear resos (which are just open chambers without sound absorption material).

I've got a pair of Vibrant 17950 I plan on installing once I get the 1-7/8 ARH manifolds put on as well.

Even the Carven 5" tips changed the tone, although minor compared to the x pipe swap and especially those catless mids which made the biggest sound difference in volume no doubt.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
97 Posts
I installed the Carven X-Pipe on my 392 on Monday. I noticed no performance gain and no change in sound. Oh well, at least it wasn't expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts