SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Want to convert over to E85

10835 Views 57 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  59585
Ok, I have my current set up as follows:

LMI Intake
3.09 rear gear
93 & 100 octane PCM tune (Diablosport)
6400 RPM TCM tune
ATI 10% Overdrive lower pulley

I want to be able to use full E85. Question is, what do I need to do?

I see there is this kit:
2013-2017 Dodge Hellcat Gasohol Fuel System

Is that I need? Or would I also need new injectors? Can I get away with using the stock injectors for my current setup?

I want to keep costs to minimum. I know new tuning is required. Can I keep my existing Diablosport, or do I HAVE to switch over to HP Tuners?

What am I missing? Any suggestions?
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
You have to have injectors, now why not to use full potential of E85 , add upper . You don’t have to switch to HP
What fairbird said plus find a sticky rear tire.

Hellcats + E85 = first 3 forward gears useless without tires.
Yup new injectors 1300
Kenny bell boost a pump
Dual drop in fuel system
Mine as well add 285 upper pulley while it's in the shop
Your looking around 3K +
For full conversion
Cheers good luck
Alright so what I'm reading so far, I would need injectors + the gasahol kit I linked. And I can keep my diablosport tuner.

I already have 10.5 wheels that can fit pretty much any 305 drag radial.

I don't want to add an upper pulley just yet.

Which tuner here can tune E85 on diablosport? The one's I read about say they require HP tuners.
First order of business will be to find tuner and follow his recommendations. Just about everything will be the same as far as requirements but some tuners think differently on mods.

You will need 1300’s and if you ever plan on going crazy I’d get 1700’s

So basically
Drop in pumps or fore full return system
1300-1700 injectors
Pulley for more boost if wanted
Possibly colder plugs gapped to tuner specs

Some have gotten away with just a bap but it didn’t work for me and I ended up with a fore full return system.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Alright so what I'm reading so far, I would need injectors + the gasahol kit I linked. And I can keep my diablosport tuner.

Which tuner here can tune E85 on diablosport? The one's I read about say they require HP tuners.
You can either use [email protected] Tuning for diablo or Injected engineering, OST, Livernois for HP
Reactions: 2

Because injected uses hp , Tim Barth will get you covered .
Reactions: 3
Because injected uses hp , Tim Barth will get you covered .
Tim Barth all the way!
He will be tuning my cat on e85 set up this summer.
426 stroker wooohooo
Reactions: 2
If you daily drive it, be ready to get intimate with your local gas station :)
Seems like there's no cheap easy way to switch to E85. Meanwhile you can buy a $30k Mustang and use full E85 with just a tune.

2018 and going into 2019 most high HP performance cars are "E85 ready", except for the Hellcat which needs basically $3k for the conversion. My friend got a used M4 and threw an E85 map on it and makes around 600whp with no other modifications, enough to walk a stock Hellcat that costs even more used.

Cost isn't even my argument, it's ease of use and it's just such a hassle to get our cars E85 ready.
It's well worth it. I daily drive on e85 from March- December.

Buy twin pumps
Buy 1300's
Might need a regap for the pluga depending on boost.
Buy a fuel tester

I put almost 6000 miles on my 900rwhp setup from May 2018-November 2018. I'll never go WOT on 93 again.
Seems like there's no cheap easy way to switch to E85. Meanwhile you can buy a $30k Mustang and use full E85 with just a tune.

2018 and going into 2019 most high HP performance cars are "E85 ready", except for the Hellcat which needs basically $3k for the conversion. My friend got a used M4 and threw an E85 map on it and makes around 600whp with no other modifications, enough to walk a stock Hellcat that costs even more used.

Cost isn't even my argument, it's ease of use and it's just such a hassle to get our cars E85 ready.
Way easier to get hellcat to 9s then M4 , not to mention cost of tuning for M3/4 N55 engines . It’s very easy to make hellcat fast . Easier then any euro . But RS3 might be
E85 conversion can be costly up front, but I've found it well worth it. I daily drive my car, almost always on E70-E85, with an occasional tank of our 91 "premium" here in Colorado.

Some people here swap tunes. Others (like me) use a flex fuel tune. For a long time the flex tune was only being done on HP. Not sure if anyone is doing one with Diablo, but I'm sure others can chime in and let you know.

As previous posters have said, 1300x or bigger injectors and a dual pump or full return system is going to work best with the least amount of end user worry. You can get away with 1050 injectors and a BAP if you're truly on a budget, but I wouldn't recommend it. For some, that's worked fine. Others are really pushing it on that set up, IMO.

If you go with an E85 standalone tune, you'll need to test the E85. An E85 gauge and a test tube will almost certainly be in your future. If you go with a flex fuel tune, the tune will infer from alcohol content the fuel and adjust based on that reading. The tune will limit boost on pump gas. A flex tune allows you to run your primary pump gas up through E90 without having to purge your tank or test the fuel at the pump or swap your tunes. It's the reason I sold the Diablo and moved to HP Tuners a year back. I've had the setup and tune (plus TCM tune) for about 12K miles with no issues. I track the car during race season and use it as a daily year round. I'm at 950+ WHP, 972 torque (currently). Car was tuned by Injected Engineering.

If you're interested, you can click the link in my sig and see the components I used to get set up for E85 and price them out.

Good luck!
See less See more
Reactions: 4

Then what does it cost for said M3/M4 to put down 800-900 WHP?

Re: takes a lot of fuel volume for engine / blower capabilities with a Hellcat.
Ya the mustang isn't the best comparison. They make way less hp
Good point Curt, and the M4 isn't a good comparison either since you just maxed out your fuel system and you're keeping pace with relatively stock Hellcats.

Their stock fuel systems handle 600whp on e85... good for them. Ours support a lot more - on pump gas.

A little money to support 1000whp worth of corn into a HC is not a significant investment. You can do it with injectors and BAP, you can do the injected pumps, livernois pumps, fore stuff... tons of ways to do it, but it doesn't need to be $3k unless you want it to be.

I also recommend the upper at this time, the 10% lower isn't utilizing the potential of the corn. Your tuner will talk to you about that though.
How about a ZL1 then? To run E85 straight from the factory all that's needed is a GM OEM flex fuel sensor + plus tune. Regardless of how you look at it Dodge was shortsighted with E85.

Seems I would need to jump through the hoops to get a flex tune to take advantage of E85, it would be easier in my case to just get a 2.85 upper pulley and demon injectors and call it a day.
How about a ZL1 then? To run E85 straight from the factory all that's needed is a GM OEM flex fuel sensor + plus tune. Regardless of how you look at it Dodge was shortsighted with E85.

Seems I would need to jump through the hoops to get a flex tune to take advantage of E85, it would be easier in my case to just get a 2.85 upper pulley and demon injectors and call it a day.
ZL1 is another good example that the fuel system is capable of supporting about 600whp before it runs out of capacity. You cannot pulley a ZL1 and run e85 on a stock fuel system. So, if you want to make more power than any other car around, on a stock fuel system, stick with pump gas on a Hellcat.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.