SRT Hellcat Forum banner

**WARNING** Dodge is dumb

10K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  baabootoo 
#1 ·
This is a PSA for anyone with a 2021 Charger Hellcat with the Redeye hood. If you decide to wrap your hood, you will need to remove the hood vents.

For some reason unknown to me, dodge decided that the side vents that have the single screw that go into the metal collar thats molded into the plastic vent should be BLUE LOCK TITE'd in. Yeah great job dodge. You have now made this part a consumable part if they ever need to be removed. This should have been a 20 second removal and easy reinstallation, but no. As you would expect any amount of force to remove the screw caused the metal collar to start spinning in the plastic of the vent. And because its attached to the metal finger on the hood, it is impossible to NOT damage the vent and the metal (painted) finger to get this out. I had to have myself and someone else pulling the vent up, while I was trying to hold the metal finger back from bending like crazy, while trying to pry the screw out. Once the vent broke off of the metal collar, I was able to get behind the screw and hold it tight with vice grips to be able to get it lose from the blue locktite. What a mess. I just had to order new vents now, to the tune of $120.

And I will have to touch up the metal fingers under the hood where the screws attach to the vents because they are all scratched up now. What a bunch of idiot stuff thinking it was a good idea to locktite the screw into the metal collar that was molded into plastic. DUUUUUHHHHHH DODGE.

Wood Gas Water Asphalt Drinkware

Computer keyboard Automotive design Office equipment Hood Input device

See less See more
#2 ·
After all of the complaints Ive read about loose vents and bezels I’m surprised theyre not welded on. It’s been an issue so this shouldnt really be a surprise.

#6 ·
Yeah no idea what to tell you. The wrap came out perfect but I’m waiting on two new vents now.
I have no idea what you can do in order to break loose that blue locktite without stripping that collar inside the plastic vent. Maybe heat the screw first with a blow torch but that might transfer to the plastic and make it worse. No idea. Hopefully yours don’t break. It was two hours to try and carefully break the old plastic vents to get them out. And even then the painted ears that the screws screw into got all dinged up and bent. They bent back easily and I touched them up with my touch up I got for the car but still. This is so stupid. But the end result is pretty awesome I must say.
Vehicle Tire Car Wheel Grille

Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire

#7 ·
Oh and also had to damage the hood blanket to get to the hole that leads up to the nut that holds the front scoop on as well. They no longer snap in on the top. There is a single threaded post that hangs down back behind it and you need to put a nut driver up there to get the nut off that’s holding the top of the scoop in place.

#19 ·
Ha-ha-ha, at least it wasn't red LocTite! I wouldn't be mad that Dodge made sure a screw stayed put throughout numerous heat cycles and constant vibrations. At least others now know to use just a bit of heat to remove that screw.

#24 ·
This is a PSA for anyone with a 2021 Charger Hellcat with the Redeye hood. If you decide to wrap your hood, you will need to remove the hood vents.

For some reason unknown to me, dodge decided that the side vents that have the single screw that go into the metal collar thats molded into the plastic vent should be BLUE LOCK TITE'd in. Yeah great job dodge. You have now made this part a consumable part if they ever need to be removed. This should have been a 20 second removal and easy reinstallation, but no. As you would expect any amount of force to remove the screw caused the metal collar to start spinning in the plastic of the vent. And because its attached to the metal finger on the hood, it is impossible to NOT damage the vent and the metal (painted) finger to get this out. I had to have myself and someone else pulling the vent up, while I was trying to hold the metal finger back from bending like crazy, while trying to pry the screw out. Once the vent broke off of the metal collar, I was able to get behind the screw and hold it tight with vice grips to be able to get it lose from the blue locktite. What a mess. I just had to order new vents now, to the tune of $120.

And I will have to touch up the metal fingers under the hood where the screws attach to the vents because they are all scratched up now. What a bunch of idiot stuff thinking it was a good idea to locktite the screw into the metal collar that was molded into plastic. DUUUUUHHHHHH DODGE.

View attachment 583178
View attachment 583179
Hello, knowing this to be an old thread, I bought I might chime in on the possibility of repairing said bezel by applying a high quality adhesive inside the bezels insert location after removing the screw first, from the insert. We in the aviation industry (airlines) have had very good success repairing these kind of parts that over time that are very hard to find to replace. Epoxy is a two part adhesive with excellent strength characteristics. Good luck to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.